There are three things that have happened in the last week that just don’t make sense to me that I wanted to share my thoughts on.
1. Hampton University Business School Dean Sid Creadle stands by ban on locks and cornrows. Hampton has the right to do what they want and a take on the responsibility to prepare their students for corporate boardrooms. However, in 2012 there is an opportunity to create trend setting business leaders and not conforming ones. Be aggressively honest with your students about the consequences of appearance decisions, but be a bridge to corporate America that says "Change." Hampton could say to corporate recruiters and set up discussions with progressive corporate leaders to proclaim “We have brilliant men and women who have chosen to expresses their cultural identity through their hair and will add to your bottom line.” All won't bite, but I bet some would. There are doors I have not been able to walk in with my locks and there are places I have changed because of them. We need courageous institutional leadership that prepares our kids for the real world as they simultaneously prepare them to change it. Let’s not create more boxes for our kids to have to fit in. Empower them to redefine this world.
2. The New LeBron James Signature X sneakers slated for release this fall will be sold for $315. Now, I love LeBron, but come on. We have massive unemployment, young people and parents struggling to buy things they don’t need with money they don’t have to impress people they don’t like. LeBron's fault…no, but if you care at all about the fans who have made you, push Nike to release sneakers at two price points. If I could afford them, I would not put that kind of target on my kids feet. Because the kids that can’t afford them are coming for the kids whose family can. $315 shoes will be the aspiration of kids whose parents don’t have $315 dollars saved for their future. WTF.
3. There was article last week on Politic365.com that claimed the greatest threat to President Obama was not Mitt Romney, but black voters staying home on Election Day. There are few who would argue that the vast majority of registered black voters support President Obama, but that doesn’t mean that if it rains on Election Day, they will turn out. What a shame that 147 years after the abolishment of slavery we still have to convince, trick, or beg us to actually be citizens of a country we helped build. Your desire or lack of desire to vote says less about the president, your congressperson, or local judge. It says something about you. Vote because it is your responsibility as an active citizen. Anyone feel like this candidate and the nation should not be joined in matrimony? Vote November 6 or forever shut up.
I’m Jeff and that’s my truth. Peace and blessings.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25