There are three things that have happened in the last week that just don’t make sense to me that I wanted to share my thoughts on.
1. Hampton University Business School Dean Sid Creadle stands by ban on locks and cornrows. Hampton has the right to do what they want and a take on the responsibility to prepare their students for corporate boardrooms. However, in 2012 there is an opportunity to create trend setting business leaders and not conforming ones. Be aggressively honest with your students about the consequences of appearance decisions, but be a bridge to corporate America that says "Change." Hampton could say to corporate recruiters and set up discussions with progressive corporate leaders to proclaim “We have brilliant men and women who have chosen to expresses their cultural identity through their hair and will add to your bottom line.” All won't bite, but I bet some would. There are doors I have not been able to walk in with my locks and there are places I have changed because of them. We need courageous institutional leadership that prepares our kids for the real world as they simultaneously prepare them to change it. Let’s not create more boxes for our kids to have to fit in. Empower them to redefine this world.
2. The New LeBron James Signature X sneakers slated for release this fall will be sold for $315. Now, I love LeBron, but come on. We have massive unemployment, young people and parents struggling to buy things they don’t need with money they don’t have to impress people they don’t like. LeBron's fault…no, but if you care at all about the fans who have made you, push Nike to release sneakers at two price points. If I could afford them, I would not put that kind of target on my kids feet. Because the kids that can’t afford them are coming for the kids whose family can. $315 shoes will be the aspiration of kids whose parents don’t have $315 dollars saved for their future. WTF.
3. There was article last week on Politic365.com that claimed the greatest threat to President Obama was not Mitt Romney, but black voters staying home on Election Day. There are few who would argue that the vast majority of registered black voters support President Obama, but that doesn’t mean that if it rains on Election Day, they will turn out. What a shame that 147 years after the abolishment of slavery we still have to convince, trick, or beg us to actually be citizens of a country we helped build. Your desire or lack of desire to vote says less about the president, your congressperson, or local judge. It says something about you. Vote because it is your responsibility as an active citizen. Anyone feel like this candidate and the nation should not be joined in matrimony? Vote November 6 or forever shut up.
I’m Jeff and that’s my truth. Peace and blessings.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25