There are three things that have happened in the last week that just don’t make sense to me that I wanted to share my thoughts on.
1. Hampton University Business School Dean Sid Creadle stands by ban on locks and cornrows. Hampton has the right to do what they want and a take on the responsibility to prepare their students for corporate boardrooms. However, in 2012 there is an opportunity to create trend setting business leaders and not conforming ones. Be aggressively honest with your students about the consequences of appearance decisions, but be a bridge to corporate America that says "Change." Hampton could say to corporate recruiters and set up discussions with progressive corporate leaders to proclaim “We have brilliant men and women who have chosen to expresses their cultural identity through their hair and will add to your bottom line.” All won't bite, but I bet some would. There are doors I have not been able to walk in with my locks and there are places I have changed because of them. We need courageous institutional leadership that prepares our kids for the real world as they simultaneously prepare them to change it. Let’s not create more boxes for our kids to have to fit in. Empower them to redefine this world.
2. The New LeBron James Signature X sneakers slated for release this fall will be sold for $315. Now, I love LeBron, but come on. We have massive unemployment, young people and parents struggling to buy things they don’t need with money they don’t have to impress people they don’t like. LeBron's fault…no, but if you care at all about the fans who have made you, push Nike to release sneakers at two price points. If I could afford them, I would not put that kind of target on my kids feet. Because the kids that can’t afford them are coming for the kids whose family can. $315 shoes will be the aspiration of kids whose parents don’t have $315 dollars saved for their future. WTF.
3. There was article last week on Politic365.com that claimed the greatest threat to President Obama was not Mitt Romney, but black voters staying home on Election Day. There are few who would argue that the vast majority of registered black voters support President Obama, but that doesn’t mean that if it rains on Election Day, they will turn out. What a shame that 147 years after the abolishment of slavery we still have to convince, trick, or beg us to actually be citizens of a country we helped build. Your desire or lack of desire to vote says less about the president, your congressperson, or local judge. It says something about you. Vote because it is your responsibility as an active citizen. Anyone feel like this candidate and the nation should not be joined in matrimony? Vote November 6 or forever shut up.
I’m Jeff and that’s my truth. Peace and blessings.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30