Last week, AT&T launched an "It Can Wait" Campaign. Now this is not about whether or not you use their service, but are you willing to end the practice of texting while driving. This call to stop texting and driving is not a new one. Oprah launched a major initiative in 2010 challenging the nation starting with her own staff to end the use of mobile devices while driving. But Tom, it didn't seem to stick.
The increased number of drivers on US roads (over 196 million) coupled with the over 327 million mobile devices in the hands of US citizens has created a perfect storm, the results of which have been 100,000 texting related crashes a year. In the time it takes you to type LMAO or BRT your 23 times more likely to be in an accident. If that was not bad enough 75% of teens say texting and driving is common with them and their friends.
What I don't get is that we know its a problem. The AAA Foundation did a poll that showed 87% of responders believe that texting and driving is a VERY SERIOUS safety threat which is only 3% less than the 90% that said the same thing about drunk driving. If this real why is there not a movement? Sybil to you know what almost single handily changed how America looked at drunk driving? MADD. Mothers Against Drunk Driving was a movement that said not on our watch.
While many of us have problems demonizing texters the way we do drunk drivers, the results can be the same and the impairment caused by texting is actually worse. Let me break it down like this Car and Driver did a study that showed Unimpaired:
.54 seconds to brake
Legally drunk: add 4 feet
Reading e-mail: add 36 feet.
Sending a text: add 70 feet
Don't believe me. Ask those who have been disfigured, paralyzed, or the families of those who have lost loved ones to someone texting and driving. Will Smith's "Seven Pounds" illustrated the chilling reality of a man living with the pain of killing his loved ones.
Canada has banned cell phone use; in the UK you cant even use mobile devices at stop lights and in the US almost all states have or are working on policy. But legislation is just that and we have to change attitudes and behavior. It is NOT OK to text and drive….It IS A BIG DEAL…..IT CAN WAIT. Accidents – Injuries – Paralysis and DEATH. They can all wait. So Spouses/partners challenge your boo, Parents, your babies and young People, your peers to join the movement at http://www.itcanwait.org. Get 20 twitter, facebook followers or family members to take the pledge with you.
All we have to do is hang up or switch off. It really is that simple. Once we do that, not another son or daughter will have to die because someone was on the phone and behind the wheel—and just not paying attention. – Oprah
Stop texting and Driving Family – THEIR TOUCH MEANS MORE THAN THAT TEXT
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31