I know that many of you heard that Michael Clarke Duncan, probably best known for his role as John Coffe, in "The Green Mile," suffered a heart attack in his home last week. If you did hear than you know that his girlfriend, Omarosa was credited with saving his life by administering CPR until the paramedics arrived. TMZ broke the story first and because he lived and is recovering well, the story didn’t stay in the headlines long. But it made me start to think, how many of us would have been able to save our man, woman, child or loved one in the same way.
Basic lifesaving skills are not something that we think about on the daily basis, but in an emergency situation, they are truly what makes the difference in life and death. Many of us, hell, most of us are not prepared to administer lifesaving procedures in the case of an emergency. The American Heart Association reports that only 32% of sudden cardiac arrests get CPR because most bystanders (usually family) do not have training. On the flip side, 92,000 people a year are saved because of bystanders who ARE prepared.
With many cities cutting costs, resources, and staff, even the best EMS teams are overworked. And in cities where the system is broken, it is sometimes better to call a cab than an ambulance. For this reason alone we have got to be diligent about getting our families trained with basic lifesaving techniques and even talking about what to do in the face of an emergency. Remember the corny TV sitcoms when the stereotypical TV dad would have the clip board and piss off the family doing adhoc fire drills? Well, ask the families of the over 2,600 people that died in home fires if they wish they could have been so corny.
A website called wisebread.com had a great piece on the 10 lifesaving skills you should know. Take a look at it if you can, but I want you to focus on five of them.
1. CPR / Using an AED – Both cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the proper use of Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs), which are now in schools, malls, and most other public facilities, are the bridge from a heart attack to professional emergency attention.
2. The Heimlich Maneuver – Technique used to dislodge foreign objects preventing breathing. Special training for kids is essential.
3. Controlling Bleeding – Learning the proper way to apply pressure and seek additional medical attention.
4. Providing Aspirin for Heart Attacks and Strokes – increases blood flow and reduces clots. You must know if the person is taking other medications.
5. Exit a Burning Building – Have a plan to evacuate EVERY building. Train your family on what to do.
These small actions can make a huge difference. When I read the story about Mike and Omarosa, it was not just about a star and her boyfriend. They are friends of mine, real people. I know you have some real people in your lives too. Let’s make sure we are empowered with every piece of information that keeps them protected in any situation
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30