I know that many of you heard that Michael Clarke Duncan, probably best known for his role as John Coffe, in "The Green Mile," suffered a heart attack in his home last week. If you did hear than you know that his girlfriend, Omarosa was credited with saving his life by administering CPR until the paramedics arrived. TMZ broke the story first and because he lived and is recovering well, the story didn’t stay in the headlines long. But it made me start to think, how many of us would have been able to save our man, woman, child or loved one in the same way.
Basic lifesaving skills are not something that we think about on the daily basis, but in an emergency situation, they are truly what makes the difference in life and death. Many of us, hell, most of us are not prepared to administer lifesaving procedures in the case of an emergency. The American Heart Association reports that only 32% of sudden cardiac arrests get CPR because most bystanders (usually family) do not have training. On the flip side, 92,000 people a year are saved because of bystanders who ARE prepared.
With many cities cutting costs, resources, and staff, even the best EMS teams are overworked. And in cities where the system is broken, it is sometimes better to call a cab than an ambulance. For this reason alone we have got to be diligent about getting our families trained with basic lifesaving techniques and even talking about what to do in the face of an emergency. Remember the corny TV sitcoms when the stereotypical TV dad would have the clip board and piss off the family doing adhoc fire drills? Well, ask the families of the over 2,600 people that died in home fires if they wish they could have been so corny.
A website called wisebread.com had a great piece on the 10 lifesaving skills you should know. Take a look at it if you can, but I want you to focus on five of them.
1. CPR / Using an AED – Both cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the proper use of Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs), which are now in schools, malls, and most other public facilities, are the bridge from a heart attack to professional emergency attention.
2. The Heimlich Maneuver – Technique used to dislodge foreign objects preventing breathing. Special training for kids is essential.
3. Controlling Bleeding – Learning the proper way to apply pressure and seek additional medical attention.
4. Providing Aspirin for Heart Attacks and Strokes – increases blood flow and reduces clots. You must know if the person is taking other medications.
5. Exit a Burning Building – Have a plan to evacuate EVERY building. Train your family on what to do.
These small actions can make a huge difference. When I read the story about Mike and Omarosa, it was not just about a star and her boyfriend. They are friends of mine, real people. I know you have some real people in your lives too. Let’s make sure we are empowered with every piece of information that keeps them protected in any situation
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31