Cancer can have devastating effects on families and communities. And cancer, like many other life-threatening diseases, hits the black community harder than any other group. Blacks are diagnosed with advance/late stage cancer more than their White counterparts. A major reason for this trend is lack of understanding of available cancer information. Many blacks die from treatable forms of cancer simply because of myths and misinformation about the disease.
Here are a few myths that Dr. Camille McGann, a radiation oncologist, is working to dispel:
1. No one in my family has Cancer, so I do not have to worry about getting it.
2. If I get Cancer, I am going to die within a few months. People I know (and have heard of) who
were diagnosed with Cancer, went to the hospital and then died in a matter of months. That
will happen to me too.
3. The Treatment for Cancer is worse than the disease itself.
4. Black Americans are not at risk for Colorectal Cancer. I do not need a colonoscopy. I will do a
colon cleanse instead as its more natural and does the same thing.
5. My family only has Diabetes (sugar) and High blood pressure (pressure). I eat right, exercise
5x/week and keep my stress level low. I cannot be at risk for any Cancer, especially not Breast
or Prostate Cancer since I am doing everything right.
Visit LegacyEducators.com to read more cancer myths and what you can do become educated about cancer.
About Dr. McGann
Dr. McGann is a radiation oncologist. After receiving a Bachelors of Science in Biochemistry at Rutgers University, New Brunswick NJ, she pursued her MD degree. She then completed her Residency Training at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, IL and is a board certified Radiation Oncologist. She currently practices in the Washington DC metropolitan area.
Dr. McGann is the President and CEO of Legacy Educators and (Cancer) Consultants, an educational company developed to bridge the “patient-physician” gap in cancer treatment communication.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25