This week we lost two men that could be considered all of the above and then some.
Activist Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth is credited as being the soul of the civil rights movement and Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, who created technology the world never knew it needed but now can’t live without.
While they were two very different men, they had a similar goal – to improve upon a system that was both outdated and oppressive.
Stay with me while I connect the dots.
Reverend Shuttlesworth was one of the co-founders of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. Created in 1957, the organization led non-violent protests to end segregation in America. Although the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. served as president of the SCLC and was considered “the face” of the movement, Shuttlesworth laid the foundation. President Barack Obama said in a statement that Reverend Shuttlesworth was a “testament to the strength of the human spirit” and that “today we stand on his shoulders, and the shoulders of all those who marched and sat and lifted their voices to help perfect our union.”
Steve Jobs lived his life having made the conscious choice to step out into the unknown and challenge the status quo on his terms – not someone else’s. By example, he taught us that trusting yourself is the genius thing to do and that genius is something within us all, not something that only the special few have.
If you break it down to its most basic level, each of these men made a decision to make a difference in the way people were able to live their lives and then did whatever was necessary to ensure that it happened.
Both men were risk takers.
We are no different than they are. There comes a time in every person’s life where we can choose to either venture out into the wild unknown of our dreams or retreat back into the gentle comfort of the world we are familiar with.
Now granted, some people are born risk takers, and others may need some help but whatever makes you take the risk, whether the outcome is good or bad, you are always a better person after said risk has been taken.
Obviously, no one wants to be rejected and no one wants to fail but the important thing to remember is don’t shy away from the challenge – use it. Learn from it and get back out there.
In fact, the real risk is not in putting yourself out there, but in hiding what could ultimately be your gift and contribution to society.
Reverend Shuttlesworth and Steve Jobs probably had no idea the long lasting impact they would have on the world but they saw a need and took the necessary risks to fulfill it.
Now will you?
CLICK HERE for Nikki Woods’ weekly “What in the Weekend” report.
CLICK HERE for the latest episode of “Mamas Gone Wild.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31