2. Oprah posted this photo on Instagram along with this message: “I’ve been blessed to have Maya Angelou as my mentor, mother/sister, and friend since my 20’s. She was there for me always, guiding me through some of the most important years of my life. The world knows her as a poet but at the heart of her, she was a teacher. ‘When you learn, teach. When you get, give’ is one of my best lessons from her. She won three Grammys, spoke six languages and was the second poet in history to recite a poem at a presidential inauguration. But what stands out to me most about Maya Angelou is not what she has done or written or spoken, it’s how she lived her life. She moved through the world with unshakeable calm, confidence and a fierce grace. I loved her and I know she loved me. I will profoundly miss her. She will always be the rainbow in my clouds.”
15. Bring Your Family to Play with Ours at the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
21. Beyonce posted on Instagram: “Rest in peace phenomenal woman” along with this photo of Dr. Angelou.
24. Rihanna tweeted, “Angel. #RIPMayaAngelou The first book I read as a teenager, “I know why the caged bird sings”. Felt like we knew her” with this photo.
25. Rihanna also tweeted, “She made us feel so safe, safe enough to trust her wisdom! Wisdom one can usually only acquire through experience!” along with this photo of Dr. Angelou.
39. Tyler Perry Tweeted: “There have only been a handful of people who have moved me, encouraged me, inspired me and helped mold the man I am. One of those people would be Dr. Maya Angelou. She was a woman I called “friend”. Her words and her spirit are too powerful to leave this earth with her passing. Her legacy and poems will take wings forever.Dr. Maya Angelou will live on in all of us who called her a phenomenal woman, phenomenally.”
More From BlackAmericaWeb