(Photo Credit: PR Photos)

As we reported yesterday, legendary singer and longtime civil rights champion  Gladys Knight will sing the National Anthem prior to Super Bowl 53 which is being held in her hometown of Atlanta on Feb 3.

Of course it comes as no surprise that the Knight is being criticized for her move by supporters of quarterback Colin Kaepernick who they feel has been blackballed from the National Football League because of his sideline protests against police abuse of African Americans by “taking a knee.”

In response, Knight has issued this statement:

“I understand that Mr. Kaepernick is protesting two things, and they are police violence and injustice,” she wrote. “It is unfortunate that our National Anthem has been dragged into this debate when the distinctive senses of the National Anthem and fighting for justice should each stand alone.”

“I am here today and on Sunday, Feb. 3 to give the Anthem back its voice, to stand for that historic choice of words, the way it unites us when we hear it and to free it from the same prejudices and struggles I have fought long and hard for all my life, from walking back hallways, from marching with our social leaders, from using my voice for good — I have been in the forefront of this battle longer than most of those voicing their opinions to win the right to sing our country’s Anthem on a stage as large as the Super Bowl LIII.”

“No matter who chooses to deflect with this narrative and continue to mix these two in the same message, it is not so and cannot be made so by anyone speaking it.  I pray that this National Anthem will bring us all together in a way never before witnessed and we can move forward and untangle these truths which mean so much to all of us.”

Memorable Super Bowl Halftimes: A Look Back

Keep Up With The D.L. Hughley Show On Facebook!

16 thoughts on “Gladys Knight Issues Statement On Performing At The Super Bowl

1. Willa Robinson on said:

The Black football players are still paying football and getting paid. Black folks have not stopped watching football and will be watching and attending the superbowl, spending a lots of money. Why criticize Gladys for singing the National Athem at the Superbowl. Give me a break!

2. Thunter on said:

Well she has a point ..This Bullying that happens everytime someone disagrees.. is also what bring us down we are holding on but there is nothing wrong changing up ..But to call her names my people some of you are making us a laughing stock..you really want to know who they view are ignorant …Open your mind and read these comments..She is a ICON ….Very Disrespectful

• Constant Observer on said:

Nikki you are obviously a follower, unable to separate the merits of each unique point of view and too young and ignorant to realize that Gladys Knight is absolutely correct?

• I think the 3rd stanza speaks for itself. Also, correcting and/or calling out ignorance is not a bad thing but not a bad thing in and of itself.

“And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
      That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion,
      A home and a country, should leave us no more?
      Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps’ pollution.
      No refuge could save the hireling and slave,
      From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave.”

3. The one’s criticizing Ms. Knight is what’s scary. The lady chooses to try a different route and they have been dogging her out because she will not do what they want. Just read these comments.

4. Michael Middleton on said:

My question to Ms. Knight is, “How do you get the attention of the dominant culture to make a distinct difference to cease racial injustice with law enforcement?” If kneeling during the National Anthem is not sufficient to get their attention, what else is recommended? I urge Ms. Knight to offer other stand alone options for fighting injustice. Will using her singing voice at a large Super Bowl LIII event cause law enforcement to pump the brakes from injustice? We shall see.

• Willie on said:

@MichaelM: She’s using HONEY instead of Vinegar. Step-back, U will learn something from one who has paid the price to do what she is attempting to do to bring the entire Nation together at this crucial time in the 21st Century.

• Michael Middleton on said:

@Willie…I’m not ruling out progress should it happen and I hope that it does. As I stated, “We shall see”.