(PBS screenshot)

Cyntoia Brown, a woman serving a life sentence for killing a man who bought her for sex when she was 16-years-old, has been granted clemency by Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam, CNN reports.

Brown, who is now 30, will reportedly be released to parole supervision on August 7 after serving 15 years in prison.

“This decision comes after careful consideration of what is a tragic and complex case,” Haslam said.
“Cyntoia Brown committed, by her own admission, a horrific crime at the age of 16. Yet, imposing a life sentence on a juvenile that would require her to serve at least 51 years before even being eligible for parole consideration is too harsh, especially in light of the extraordinary steps Ms. Brown has taken to rebuild her life. Transformation should be accompanied by hope.”

17 thoughts on “Cyntoia Brown Is Granted Clemency; Will Be Released After Serving 15 Years In Prison

1. Gail Cook on said:

That young lady was a sex slave from the age of 13. She was a mental slave to her pimp. No different from Stockholm syndrome . she was brain washed and dependant on her pimp. That girl was im survival mode. She never denied killing the man. She has had to live with that amd will for the rest of her life. The pimp and the john would have gotten a fraction of her time had they ever been caught for what they did to her. She was a victim period point blank. Only God knows what she had to endure. I wish her well and pray also she doesnt have to do 10 years on probation.

• Lets hope the homeless man who stabbed the black lady in front of her sister in San Francisco can use that same defense and sentencing guidelines

2. Do your homework on said:

On the night of August 6, 2004, Brown, then 16-years-old, met Johnny Mitchell Allen, a 43-year-old real estate broker and United States Army veteran, in the parking lot of a Sonic Drive-In on Murfreesboro Road in Nashville, Tennessee, a known red-light district.[7] Brown agreed to have sex with Allen for the price of US$150; the two ordered dinner and Allen drove the two of them to his home on Mossdale Road.[8] At some point during the evening while Allen was sleeping, Brown shot Allen in the back of the head with a .40-caliber handgun she carried on her person and stole from Allen’s residence US$172 in a vehicle, a Ford F150.[9][10] She then drove Allen’s vehicle to InTowne Suites, to meet her pimp.

• Roberta on said:

Jhuff, it’s only right that as a black woman, that I feel sorry for you. I’m a single mother to a Rutgers university student, in his junior year, going for his Bachelors and followed by his Masters. Did I say “his”? That means he’s a young, black man, if you didn’t comprehend that. As for myself, I was on welfare for a while when he was younger, but that was temporary. I also had a few bumps along the way, but I’m also in college and Criminal justice is my major. CSI or Forensic science will be my career choice. When you have a degree, you have choices. Now, judging from the way that you speak, I can only assume that you have no options. Trolling the internet, looking to be prejudiced must be a lonely existence. I pray that your not feeding that nonsense to your children, because it would be awful for them to carry that outside of your home and get their ass whooped by a black person, lmao. Have a lovely day and oh, GET A HOBBY

3. The devil is in the details…Everyone is posting she’s “Free in Aug 2019” Is she…REALLY?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring attention to the fact that she is being placed on 10 YEARS Parole with other stipulations if she violates any state or federal laws… Why 10 years? Why delay her freedom until Aug 2019…This is clearly a setup to use her as an example that if she does not meet all this her case will be used as an example to not provide clemency to others. Will she be required to live out the rest of the original sentence of 51 years after being bought and sold?

This war is not over…PLEASE ADVOCATE to FREE her…TJMS…you have a voice to all the connected people!!!

• shannee on said:

u say she was trickin but why do u feel that… why cause she was a young black girl and what makes you think she was stealing? why cause she was a young black girl… like really grow up u don’t know the circumstances in the case she very well could be telling the truth. its people like that makes these girls not wanna come out and say anything cause people like you always try and down play them… smh how low can we as a society be!!! just sad

• as far as what really went down, we sure as hell can’t get the victims side of the story can we??

• Mac Daddy on said:

And how did she get into that tragic life? I’ll tell you, a single black mother, drug addicted, welfare collecting, worst steward of life on this planet

• Phoenix Rising on said:

Glad she’s being released! Mac, you really have issues. Seek help. You make me wonder what part of the country you live in. Get out more. You’re in denial about productive, positive, money making, platinum card carrying black women. It’s a shame that you put all black women in one pool, and negate all those nasty ass trailer trash, or just white women who are on welfare and drug addicted to meth. They even have free clinics for those meth heads now. No one actually believes the shit you’re shitting out your mouth. Just wondering what part of the country you live in to keep throwing up black women and Nissan Altimas, welfare and drugs. You’ve been on here for years saying the same ole’, same ole, and haven’t changed one mind yet about black women. Black women know their worth, and nothing you say will ever change that. Please get out more. You know there are black women who are doing the damn thing and you hate it. I’m not bragging, just enlightening you. Trust me. I wish I could meet your cowardly ass in person. You’d be shitting bricks with what I would show you. You’d be singing a different tune about the majority of black women, and you know I’m telling the truth.

• yep u-tube is full of young unwed black mothers videoing their 5 and 6 yo daughters shacking their azz and twerking thinking it’s something to be proud of

• Phoenix Rising on said:

Oh, I get it now. Mac and jhuff only relate to the young and immature women within a certain age range that they feel they’re better than. Not a serious, mature responsible black woman. In essence, they’re both weak as shit. Bullies per se, but actually cowards. Jhuff talking about women twerking on YouTube. Dude, find something else better to do with your time. Mac, already admitted he wished his mom would have aborted him b/c he was raised by a single black woman. I believe his comments are posted under the article regarding the TN judge. He could be lying, but I doubt it. He’s crying out for help. Anyhoo, these two jokers are total clowns.

• [Dear Phoenix] oh I have a lot more productive things to do with my time working (earning a living) as opposed to sitting on my ass bitching cause the white man wont give me enough welfare
        to live on or blaming slavery for every negative thing that happens in my life so considering some of the articles of late on BAW I’d say you need to direct that advice toward those people