Former running back Jim Brown is known for being one of the first athletes to speak out about politics during his era. But he recently revealed that he is against NFL players kneeling during the national anthem.

“I’ll never kneel and I will always respect the flag,” Brown told Tom Withers of the Associated Press before the HBO premiere of Hard Knocks.

Brown said he supported the players’ rights to kneel but not necessarily their mission to use the games to bring awareness to social issues such as racial inequality.

“Well, if you take the bottom line, what are we talking about? We’re talking about freedom to express one’s self, and if you don’t break any rules then you have that particular right,” Brown added.

“I am not going to denigrate my flag and I’m going to stand for the national anthem. I’m fighting with all of my strength to make it a better country, but I don’t think that’s the issue. Because what is the top side? Are you not going to stand up? This is our country, man.

“We work hard to make it better and that’s my attitude, so I don’t relate to this issue because it’s newsworthy because where are your superstars? And where are they at? Aren’t they making comments?”

Brown not only championed civil rights during his playing career, he became an activist in retirement.

“I’m going to give you the real deal: I’m an American,” Brown said in an interview with ThePostGame. “I don’t desecrate my flag and my national anthem. I’m not gonna do anything against the flag and national anthem. I’m going to work within those situations. But this is my country, and I’ll work out the problems, but I’ll do it in an intelligent manner.”

Celebrities That Have Taken A Knee

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK. FOLLOW US ON TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM

26 thoughts on “Jim Brown Says He’d ‘Never Kneel’ During Anthem: ‘I Will Always Respect The Flag’

1. tedgravely on said:

Let Jim do Jim. As for others do what is right for you. This shouldn’t be a divisive issues among blacks. We should be able to approach a wicked problem from different angles and come to the same point. Jim do you. Let others kneel. That’s there Freedom!

2. “I am not going to denigrate my flag….” – no you would rather sell your soul. I don’t know if JB is suffering from dementia or the early onset of Alzheimer but whichever it is he needs to go somewhere, close his mouth and sit down. If people would take a look at all the things that are listed as defaming to the flag they would all shut up. Motorcyclist with flag durags on their heads, used in pieces of clothing to name a few. I guess he fails to remember that the US Supreme Court deemed that burning the flag was not a crime but rather an expression of the first amendment!! My father is a Korean War veteran – his sacrifice was for all US citizens to be able to continue in the freedoms that we have here. Listen to the second stanza of the “national anthem.” It ought to be a loud wake up call for all Blacks….to stand at the hearing of the first stanza knowing what is in the second stanza is pure hypocritical and establishes JB as a fool.

3. Jim Brown is ignorant and unintelligent. Like O.J. Simpson, the ONLY thing he did well was play football. Brown is memorable because of his violent and brutal treatment of women. He once threw a woman off a balcony in one of the many raucous, sex parties he and his kind frequented. NOTHING he says matters. The ONLY reason he stopped being brutal to women is because he got too old! ALL his alledged community works is just something to do. He’s not real. His opinion about “taking a knee
    is sad. He’s ignorant, disingenuous and old. We need to ignore him.

4. TrUtH hUrTz on said:

It’s ironic that you have this guy show up almost 2 years after the fact speaking on what he would not have done. Please Me. Brown whether you kneel or stand you are still a Black Man in America. So your standing for the flag is not going to cause you to be treated any different than those who chose to stand. Everyone stay woke this is the bullshit that come out the wood works that try to deter progress.

However; thanks for your insight Mr. Brown.

5. Willie on said:

Jim Brown FAILS to see that PROTESTING did not STOP with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks, Medgar Evers…….”onward marching soldiers……..”

• Mac Daddy on said:

Dr. King, Rosa, and Medgar got their point across without spitting on the flag. Oh, hell to the Naw little Willie, you need to get to steppin’

• Willie on said:

@MD: MLK; Rosa Parks & Medgar Evers would NOT SUPPORT spitting on the American Flag, however, THEY would CONTINUE PROTESTING. My father died during the Korean War that ANY AMERICAN has the Right to Protest and/or Freedom of Speech.

• Willie on said:

@MD: Historic Sage differs with ur comment, in that, THERE ARE 3 KIND OF LIES; A BIG LIE, A little lie & A STATISTIC. It’s no secret how STATISTICS are easily be manipulated to support ANY agenda.

• Mac Daddy what a name! Please again go to YOUTUBE type in (The history of racism by the BBC) It track who start it and who keep it going right up 2018. Question are you white?

6. americanize on said:

I guess some dudes when they get old they just have no more fight in them.All those celeberties sports figures that went up to trump tower came back very docile.I wonder did 45 put something in there drink.

• Passing Through!! on said:

I agree americanize, I don’t know what the hell went down at the trump meeting, Jim Brown along with Ray Lewis was one of the many black minions who tapped danced to the twilight tower and came back talking stupid. All of those negros Kanye, Ray, Jim black fools broke bread with that racist. I don’t know if he promised them something or a deal was made with the devil but they all came back coon shocked. Jim Brown was a Civil Rights activist and a former athlete talking straight stupid! “I don’t desecrate my flag and my national anthem.” What! What! Listen to this Tom! Newsflash Jim this isn’t your flag or your anthem never was. That’s their flag, their anthem and let them tell is their county too. I’ve lost all respect for Jim Brown “F” him along with Kanye.

• Michael Middleton on said:

There were always HNICs who settled for Mr. Charlie’s crumbs. Unfortunately, they will exist from generation to generation. Poor souls!

• You have to understand back in 1963 at the ALi and Sonny fight after the fight with Sam Cooke , Mr X he was the ears for the devil. Sam , Ali was putting money together and opening up all black business to cut the devil out in 6 month both were dead.

• Daryle Mckenzie on said:

Truth said so tired of these shuffling backstabbing , house “N”
        People , crab in the bucket syndrome negroes. They never give back!! take away and away they go up the Trump Moron Ash hole, maybe they will be on that starship to the trumpet delouisal world. Sad time in America today at year 2018!! If we get the house or something back, Hoping the Blacks will play hard ball with the white GOP who don’t give a ##@@%% about the world needs. :-((((