ATLANTA (AP) — Big Boi has never taken an acting class, but he’s still finding ways to land roles thanks to his upbringing.
“From uncles and aunties, hustlers, pimps and pushers, I’ve sucked up game since a tender age,” he said in a recent interview. “I tried to mimic and absorb how they were. I re-enacted a lot. But it really didn’t hit me until Ving Rhames told my moms, when I did ‘Idlewild,’ that I had acting chops and I should pursue it.”
Big Boi has starred in several films including the OutKast movie “Idlewild,” ”ATL” and “Who’s Your Caddy,” and he’s looking to focus on more television and film projects. The Atlanta-based rapper has already landed a recurring role on BET’s “The Quad” and is in the process of filming his part for “Super Fly,” a remake of the 1970s cult classic.
On “The Quad,” which airs Tuesday, Big Boi plays the highly-opinionated father of a new top recruit. The rapper said he can relate to his character since his son, Cross Patton, is a heavily recruited high school football player who was offered a scholarship at the University of Southern California.
Big Boi said he’s not as brash as his TV show character.
“I’m going to games, being that athlete-father-parent,” he said. “I just pulled from my everyday life. But I’m not obnoxious in real life. In this role, I had to actually bring out that obnoxiousness.”
Big Boi is best known as half of the groundbreaking rap duo OutKast. Along with Andre 3000, the group won six Grammys and churned out six platinum-plus albums, including their “Speakerboxxx/The Love Below,” which sold over 10 million copies.
As a solo artist, Big Boi has been able to hold his own. He’s released three studio albums including his critically acclaimed “Boomiverse,” which was released last year. He also collaborated with Danger Mouse and Run the Jewels on “Chase Me,” a Grammy-nominated song from the “Baby Driver” soundtrack.
For now, Big Boi said he’s recorded enough music for him to pursue acting. He’s kicking off his international rap tour this month, but he’s also making time for his other projects: The rapper is producing a couple of animated projects called “Hotlanta Waxx” and “Sherlock Homies.”
With his busy schedule, Big Boi still runs his own dog breeding business called Unbelievable Bulldogs with clientele that includes Serena Williams, Taraji P. Henson, Usher and Rick Ross. He also has a separate company, Celebrity Trailers, which supplies luxury trailers to movie sets.
Through Celebrity Trailers, Big Boi rented a theater and transported about 30 hospice patients to watch “Black Panther” in suburban Atlanta last month.
Big Boi said he’s been able to juggle everything because he is “having fun.”
“That’s the whole key,” he said. “If it brings you joy, you’re going to be addicted to it. After you’ve sold all the records, won all the awards, it’s nothing to prove. It’s all about having fun and being on some Jedi rap. …. You’re a master, but always to student.”
READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:
Singers & Rappers Turned Actors
1. Alicia Keys was smokin' hot in the 2006 movie 'Smokin' Aces' and was also on 'Empire'.Source:AP 1 of 25
2. Jill Scott made her acting debut in the fourth season of 'Girlfriends.'Source:Instagram 2 of 25
3. 50 Cent lost 54 pounds in order to portray his emaciated character in the film 'All Things Fall Apart.'Source:Instagram 3 of 25
4. Snoop Dogg has become an enduring fixture on the big and small screen.4 of 25
5. Mos Def starred in 'Monster’s Ball,' '16 Blocks,' 'The Italian Job,' 'The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Be Kind Rewind' and more.5 of 25
6. LL Cool J has been in several movies and co-stars on the popular television series 'NCIS Los Angeles.'6 of 25
7. T.I. had a supporting role in 'American Gangster and was one of the lead characters in 'Takers.'7 of 25
8. DMX has parlayed his rough, rugged, and raw presence into appearances in several movies.8 of 25
9. Common has been a popular actor in films like 'Smokin' Aces' and "Just Wright.'9 of 25
10. Andre 3000 has made numerous guest appearances on television and he scored the lead role in the Jimi Hendrix biopic.10 of 25
11. Lenny Kravitz is best known for music but has done several movies and is now on the TV show 'Star.'11 of 25
12. Ludacris was in 2 Fast 2 Furious but got rave reviews for 'Crash'.12 of 25
13. Eminem turned to acting in the movie '8 Mile' which was loosely based on his life.13 of 25
14. Whitney sizzled on the silver screen in 'The Bodyguard' and 'The Preacher's Wife.'14 of 25
15. Ice-T found success in 'Law and Order SVU' as Detective Tutuola.15 of 25
16. Beyonce starred in 'Dreamgirls' and alongside Idris Alba in 'Obsessed.'Source:AP 16 of 25
17. We watched Will Smith grow up on 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' and then become a global movie star.Source:AP 17 of 25
18. Jennifer Hudson got an Oscar for 'Dreamgirls' in her very first film role.Source:PR 18 of 25
19. Ice Cube hit it big with his first major motion picture role in 'Boyz n the Hood.'Source:PR 19 of 25
20. Queen Latifah made her acting debut with a role in 'Jungle Fever.'Source:PR 20 of 25
21. Tupac Shakur starred in 'Juice' & 'Poetic Justice.'21 of 25
22. We all remember Drake from the high school TV show 'Degrassi.'22 of 25
23. Bow Wow starred in 'Bounce', 'Lottery Ticket', & 'The Fast & The Furious : Tokyo Drift'23 of 25
24. Method Man had winning roles in HBO's 'The Wire', the films 'How High' & 'Red Tails.'24 of 25
25. Nicki Minaj starred in 'Barber Shop: The Next Cut' as Draya25 of 25
- High Blood Pressure and Cholesterol – What the Numbers Mean
- Joe Jackson Reportedly Hospitalized With Terminal Cancer
- Officer Fired After He Pulled Over His Daughter’s Black Boyfriend
GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:
(Photo by Jack Plunkett/Invision/AP, File)