Sunday night’s episode of “Real Housewives of Atlanta” saw the ladies come together to share their respective experiences with domestic violence.
Kenya Moore tackled the role of producer for a PSA to spread awareness about the widespread issue.
“I decided to produce a PSA on domestic violence to help spread the word on this important issue,” she said during the episode, according to People. “When it comes to domestic violence, you don’t have to look very far to find someone who has been adversely affected by it.”
She kicked off the conversation by recalling the time a violent ex-boyfriend tried to kill her when she was a teenager.
“When I was 16 years old, I dated someone who was 11 years my senior,” she said. “It turned out to be a very physically abusive relationship to the point where I was stabbed, nearly killing me.”
She explained that she still deals with the trauma from that relationship, to this very day.
“Knowing that this day and age — 20, 30 years later — it’s still occurring,” she said. “I really wanted to do something about it.”
NeNe Leakes also shared her experience. “I was abused very young,” she said. “I was dating a guy that was the first guy that ever said I love you. And I took when he said ‘I love you’ to heart. Like, ‘This is love!’ And even when he hit me, I thought, ‘This is love.’ ”
“I stayed in that abusive relationship for really a long time,” Leakes continued. “I ended up having a child from that relationship. And eventually, I was able to get out.”
“His hand went across my face so hard,” Morton alleged, adding that her ex-was jealous and had accused her of cheating on him. “The one pair of fancy shoes that I finally got from him, he knocked me right out of them. My shoes were over here and I was on the ground over there.”
Bailey revealed that she was very young when her mother was going through this.
“Though I was very young when all this was going on, I know that my dad was physically and verbally abusive towards my mom,” Bailey said. “I am proud of my mom because I know this is hard for her to talk about. She grew up in a generation where you just didn’t talk about that stuff. And I know this is a huge opportunity for her to heal from the situation and really really have some closure.”
READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:
"Real Housewives of Atlanta" Through the Seasons
1. Apollo, Phaedra, Kandi and ToddSource:Instagram 1 of 18
2. Phaedra and ApolloSource:Instagram 2 of 18
3. Kandi and PhaedraSource:Instagram 3 of 18
4. Greg, Nene and PorshaSource:Instagram 4 of 18
5. Porsha and CynthiaSource:Instagram 5 of 18
6. Porsha, Cynthia and KenyaSource:Instagram 6 of 18
7. Porsha WilliamsSource:Instagram 7 of 18
8. Kenya MooreSource:Instagram 8 of 18
9. Kandi and ToddSource:Instagram 9 of 18
10. Kandi and Mama JoyceSource:Instagram 10 of 18
11. Cast member NeNe Leakes.11 of 18
12. Cast member Cynthia Bailey and husband, Peter Thomas (Photo: Retna)12 of 18
13. Cast member Kim Zolciak. (Photo: Retna)13 of 18
14. Phaedra Parks (left), Sheree Whitfield (right) and guest. (Photo: Retna)14 of 18
15. "Real Housewives of Atlanta" cast member Sheree Whitfield. (Photo: Retna)15 of 18
16. Cast member NeNe Leakes. (Photo: Retna)16 of 18
17. Claudia Jordan- added season 717 of 18
18. Claudia Jordan- added season 718 of 18
- Celebrating 25 Years Of The TJMS: Hanging With Luther Vandross On Valentines Day
- 29-Year-Old Woman Runs The Largest Black Owned Airline In The Bahamas
- Celebrating 25 Years Of The TJMS: Tony Toni Tone At The Indianapolis Sky Show
GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:
(Photo Credit: PRPhotos.com)