Malia Obama, once the little girl whose birthday is on the 4th of July and who charmed millions with her smile and grace as one of the few children to live in the White House since the Kennedy kids, is now officially a Harvard student. The 19-year-old freshman moved onto campus today with her parents there to help, although few pics have surfaced.
USA Today reports:
An eagle-eyed student also spotted what appears to be proud parents (and Harvard Law graduates) Barack and Michelle Obama along for the ride.
Boston Globe reporter Steve Annear approached Malia on campus Tuesday as she chatted with classmates, but she declined to be interviewed. She was “just another student moving in,” according to his account of the encounter — and that’s how her peers treated her, too.
Malia will likely be living in Yards, a group of four residential neighborhoods reserved for first-year students that, according to the university’s website, have housed “the earliest Harvard students as well as George Washington’s troops.”
As for her roommate?
Social media shipped a Malia-Yara Shadidi pairing when news broke in June that the actress and activist would also attend Harvard. But it turns out Shadidi pushed back the start of her freshman year to shoot a spinoff of ABC’s Black-ish called Adult-ish, so she won’t be on campus until 2018.
Harvard offers a number of housing arrangements for first-year students, from classic double rooms to suites that can house three to six students. But considering more than half her life has been spent in the public eye, there’s a chance Malia snagged one of the few single rooms available to freshmen for some well-earned privacy.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram
Share your email below to receive our daily newsletter!
The Obamas Through The Years
21 photos Launch gallery
1. The couple wed on October 3, 1992. (AP)
1 of 21
2. Barack popped the question at Gordon’s Restaurant, When dessert was served, the ring box was sitting on the plate. (AP)
2 of 21
3. When Michelle first saw Barack's picture in a law firm directory she thought he had a big nose. (AP)
3 of 21
4. For their Honeymoon, the Obamas drove down the California coast drinking wine and eating pizza. (AP)
4 of 21
5. The Obamas were caught on the NBA's kissing cam, Michelle shyly denied the POTUS, before laying one on him the next time.(AP)
5 of 21
6. They love the law. Both of them hold law degrees and worked as attorneys at the beginning of their careers. (AP)
6 of 21
7. Michelle says Barack often helps her wash the family dishes. (AP)
7 of 21
8. The Obama's first kiss was in front of the Baskin Robbins ice cream shop.
8 of 21
9. The two met while working at Chicago law firm Sidley Austin in 1989, Michelle was Barack's supervisor. (PR)
9 of 21
10. After refusing to go out with Barack for a month, Michelle finally agreed to their first date which was filled with fun. (PR))
10 of 21
11. The couple saw Spike Lee's classic movie "Do The Right Thing on their first date. (AP)
11 of 21
12. Also, on their first date the couple visited the art institute and ate at a cafe. (AP)
12 of 21
13. The Obama's finished off their first date with a drink on the 99th floor of the John Hancock Building in Chicago. (AP)
13 of 21
14. Michelle says Barack tucks her in to bed at night at 10pm since he goes to bed much later. (AP)
14 of 21
15. In an interview with E Online, Michelle says she likes "None of the above" when it comes to boxers or briefs for the President.
15 of 21
16. Michelle's nickname for the President is "Honey."
16 of 21
17. The President credits Michelle with getting him to quit smoking cigarettes.
17 of 21
18. The Obamas are said to use webcams to keep in touch while traveling apart.
18 of 21
19. Just like us: Michelle revealed that the President can't make beds and that he never puts the butter away.
19 of 21
20. The couple has two beautiful daughters, Malia and Sasha. (AP)
20 of 21
21. Michelle is quoted saying the best gift she ever received from the President is "my children."
21 of 21