Colin Kaepernick should already be on an NFL roster. Men who were backup quarterbacks in the Arena League, not stars or starters there, but backups, have been given jobs ahead of him. Men who weren’t even starters in college have been given jobs ahead of him. Men who’ve never been to the playoffs, never had winning seasons, never been to the Pro Bowl, have all been given jobs ahead of him.

At this point, if you still think his unemployment is a football decision, as the preseason ramps up, you aren’t just misjudging the situation, you are willfully ignorant.

Let me break it down. Sources from inside of the Baltimore Ravens have said their coach, John Harbaugh, wants to sign him. Their General Manager, Ozzie Newsome, wants to sign him, but the owner of the Baltimore Ravens, Steve Bisciotti, openly said that Kaepernick’s protests against police brutality and backlash from fans were a factor on why his team had not already signed him. The team needs him. Players on the team have openly said they’d welcome him with open arms.  He’s absolutely the best quarterback available. Hell, he’s the best unsigned player – period, but teams keep contorting themselves in the most painful ways imaginable to justify why they won’t sign him.

Now, in what I think is an NFL first, the Ravens have publicly solicited prayer on the decision. No joke, Ravens Owner Steve Bisciotti made a public prayer request on what the team should do. What’s wild is that the Ravens, of all teams, have had players involved in murders, beatings of women, drug possession, DUI, and so much more – and never made public prayer requests on whether they should sign or keep those players. In 2014, the Ravens had five different players arrested in the offseason alone.  Guess how many times Colin Kaepernick has been arrested in 30 years? None. The man is a model citizen. He’s generous. He serves the community. He’s quiet and reserved. He’s brilliantly smart. And he is known throughout the league as a great teammate.

Here’s the thing – I’m actually a religious man. I pray. And I hope the Ravens team owners and front office members pray about this decision because what teams are doing to Kaepernick, effectively banning him from the league because he spoke out against police brutality, is fundamentally un-Christian. To be clear, I didn’t introduce faith into this conversation – the Ravens did. So let me press this case a bit further.

What it appears this is going to come down to is whether or not the Ravens pray to the God of Donald Trump or the God of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Trump’s God, and the followers of Trump’s God, believe Trump is a man of great faith who is actually bringing Jesus back to the White House. Trump’s God and the followers of Trump’s God appear to hate immigrants and refugees.

All of that is strange because the God of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, the God of the Gospels, loves who Trump and his followers so often hate, despise, and reject. The God of the Gospels advocates peace and non-violence, while Trump encourages police to be brutal to suspects and his audience members to be brutal to protestors. The God of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John says “what you did to the least of those among you, including refugees and immigrants, you did to me.”

What we have right now, in the NFL, in America, in the White House – it’s strange to say – is a theological problem – a fundamental misunderstanding of scripture. That’s actually an understatement. What we are witnessing is a complete abuse of the fundamental purpose of the life and ministry of Jesus. Because if a single person in America believes Donald Trump is somehow the personification of Jesus that will be bringing Christianity back to the White House – American Christianity is in crisis.

More and more, it seems that supporters of Trump are confusing Christianity with a peculiar version of patriotic, partisan white supremacy. That’s actually not new, but drove the KKK. It drove slavery and colonialism. It drove plantations and lynchings. It drove Donald Trump into the White House.

And it now appears that whether Colin Kaepernick gets a job in the NFL might just come down to whether or not billionaire Steve Bisciotti prays to the God of Donald Trump and the Republican Party or to the God of the Gospels. If it’s Trump’s God, we already know the answer. Trump has already spoken very clearly about his disdain for Colin Kaepernick and his love of police brutality. If Trump’s God feels the same way, then surely he’ll tell the Ravens owner to shun Colin Kaepernick. That would absolutely be the white, conservative Christian thing to do.

Amen.

(AP Photo/Mike Groll)

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

38 thoughts on “Colin Kaepernick’s Future In The NFL Has Come Down To A White Billionaire’s Prayer Life

1. AGAIN!! What Colin Kaepernick is doing is phenomenal and needs to be done even more especially when he has the platform that his profession allows. I am posting some words from one of the GOAT athletes EVER shared today on “THE SCORE” concerning CK’s movement…

Abdul-Jabbar wrote:

Americans have a favorite quote to demonstrate their dedication to free speech: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” For this to be more than lip service, NFL superstars must defend athletes like Colin through boycotts or other means of persuasion. Some players already have joined him, including Eric Reid, Kenny Britt, Robert Quinn, Brandon Marshall, Antoine Betha and Eli Harold. But they add up to less than two dozen out of about 1,700 players. Where is the support from the other players, especially the white players who make up most of the top ten highest-paid players in the league?

“As I look around the NFL at backup quarterbacks, it seems that his talent is superior to a lot of people who are on teams already,” Abdul-Jabbar wrote. “And nothing in his words or actions is groundbreaking, nothing that activist athletes haven’t said before. Yet the backlash against him seems more intense than with other outspoken athletes, like Serena Williams and LeBron James.”

• Maybe the reason some players get behind ol’ Kap and some players don’t, is because not all of them share his views. Or the way he chooses to express those views. They have a right to express their viewpoints also. Live and let live.

• I don’t give a care what players do or does not get behind him and I doubt Colin Kapernick does as well, which is why he did what he did with no hesitation or fear. I support the cause and always will. I don’t let the ignorance of others move my support of INJUSTICE. Love this quote by Abdul-Jabbar… “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” You may not like what I did or how I said it but you damn sure can’t STOP me from saying it!!!!

2. Passing Through! on said:

kates1221 on August 3, 2017 at 5:38 pm said:

************************************************************************************
    I didn’t say disagreeing with me makes you mentally ill, a coon is a f**ing coon whether you agree with me a not. And just because you say Dr. King’s protest versus Kaepernick protest is apples and oranges doesn’t make it true either, the only difference between the two is the time & era that they both protested in. If Dr. King could pull off a successful boycott today like the bus boycott in the 1960’s with the participation of every black person it would be a major financial lost to a company although you believe only racist white money has value. But just like most money hungry racist who don’t give a f**k about racism everything is weighed in terms of money. But like I said black people need to protest with their black dollars just like the racist do, stop buying jerseys, memorabilia, and turn off your televisions on Sunday, Monday and Thursdays and see what happens.

• There you go again, assuming you know what I believe. And if you’re waiting for blacks to stop buying memorabilia and turn off their tv’s on Saturday and Sunday, you’d better sit back and get comfortable. You’re gonna have a long wait. This ain’t the 60’s doc.

3. Mrknowitall on said:

Again, the son of a black rapist, racial profiled and stereotyped, but this time the NFL European-American owners.

4. I agree with alot of these comments. The long and the short of it is, he’s being blackballed, plain and simple. I don’t care what the commissioner says. I hope he lands a job soon this season.

5. specialt757 on said:

We need to stop playing and acting as if it’s $$$ only that’s the issue. Mike V. wneWe need to stop playing and acting as if it’s $$$ only that’s the issue. Mike V. went to prison for being part of brutality against dogs and the NFL still gave him millions of dollars to play. (I have nothing against M.V. I don’t think he should have gone to jail.) C.K. spoke out against hate, racism, and police brutality (and silently I might add), but did not commit one crime in doing so, where is he now? Not playing for any team. America needs to be ashamed.

• African American Woman on said:

Update…there’s an article on BAW about Mike Vick not being allowed at some university due to a petition signed by the students…do you think the university is going to override the wishes of its paying students…in the words of the late, great Whitney Houston…Hell to the no!

6. specialt757 on said:

It’s unfortunate that C.K. doesn’t have the support of his fellow team mates, coaches, or owners. It’s already been stated, the NFL will keep all kinds of criminals because the public really could care less what crimes against humanity some of these players do, as long as they don’t threaten the sanctity of white supremacy is this great land of Amerikkka.

7. Joe Gonzales on said:

Kap is trying hard to connect to this 50% Black side from a Black father who rejected after a short encounter to a flavor of the day white mother who gave him up for adoption.

Kap was lucky to get adopted by a rich White Wisconsin family who raised him in a White affluent Wisconsin Hood.White adopted mother and Father treated him extremely well

Kap made 4 Million in NFL, don’t feel too sorry for him, he is still collecting $$$$ 15 Milion a season sitting on his behind protesting.

The world is unfair but in America way more fairer than poorer third world nations. Just ask African Immigrants, they are willing to risk everything to live in America.

NFL Team Owners don’t care about race , they want to win, they have more than 75% Black players making $ Millions … Not really slave wages.

• Passing Through! on said:

Soooo, Kaepernick should be grateful to the good rich white folks who took him in after his good for nothing black father rejected his white mother who then put him up for adoption because he was black. And being 50% black and treated as a black man in this country, why would Colin possess any type of black consciousness and want to connect with his black side after his black father abandoned him? He should shut the hell up, collect his 15 million embrace his whiteness and just be happy look the other way as if he doesn’t see racism. After all, life is unfair especially if you’re black and if you happen to be one of those poor unlucky blacks who fall victim to racism, profiling, shot by police or have racist in Congress (along with a racist ass president) try and take away your healthcare and bring back 1950 and a KKK deep south Attorney General put drug laws into place that will make it even easier for the system to wrongfully convict, and imprison minorities. But just remember that AmeriKKKa is the greatest nation on earth and you Ni**as should be happy that you came here as slaves and now have 2nd class citizenship & you’re not living in a third world country.

• specialt757 on said:

I think you hit the nail on the head, that’s how some folks in this comment section feel. Just STHU and be happy yous free and deal wit’ it.

• African American Woman on said:

This is purely about money…if he wants to be an activist, that’s great…he should brand himself as an activist and make a living out of fighting wrongs and advocating for the underdog…Again, fans buy tickets…tickets pay salaries…fans who don’t agree with Kap being on their team don’t buy tickets… I understand that some people on here have strong feelings about what Map has done, but that does not and will not ever mean that everyone else does…you can try and force whatever down people’s throats, but if they choose not to swallow, you’re message is lost. Moses could have kept his place amongst the elite of Egypt, but he did what was right for him and he paid a hefty price…that happens and sometimes paying a hefty price is worth is weight in the end.

• Damn Passing Through! Could not have said that better myself… You’re dead on ONCE again!

8. FallMornings on said:

AA Woman. I agree. If you play in any sport be it the NFL, NBA or MLB, you are hired to do just that perform and bring in revenue. If you’re on a winning team and he’s a major player, then the owner may overlook some of your illegal activity. I’m a Cowboy’s fan; we’ve had our share of questionable characters on the team. Although, I applaud Colin for taking a stand but without unification of his efforts, his actions have cost him his job or any job with another team.

• African American Woman on said:

Exactly! It’s simple economics…what some people fail realize is that the ticket sales and sponsors pay the players’ salaries and keep the owners rich. If someone threatens those dollars, they will be dropped. Simple as that…Take Mike Vick, for example…after finding about about his involvement in dog fighting, his career ended. And we’re talking about dogs…but if you have enough people willing to boycott the team he’s on, and affect the team’s cashflow and reputation, you’re out the door!

9. My focus is the injustice that was spotlighted and NOTHING to do with what one particular group of people feel about the way I voice the injustice of another in this country. Now let’s all band together and keep making eye opening statements like Colin did here and watch them others swarm in their seats because they are too afraid to say YES… I support the cause and it’s time for a change

10. Passing Through! on said:

We have to understand that mental illness and racism are intertwined with White Christianity and White Supremacy. When white people speak on their so-called Christian Faith/Religion, they’re referring to that blue-eyed blond haired Jesus who condones slavery, lynching & racism because they believe blacks were meant to be slaves, 2nd class citizens with no rights. If they didn’t believe this they wouldn’t be mad at Kaepernick. They love to talk about MY FAITH THIS, MY FAITH THAT, MY COUNTRY, MY FOREFATHERS, when in reality if your forefathers or ancestors had any kind of true religion or faith they would have never owned a human slave in the first place. So, when I hear any white person speak on their faith and Christianity if offers me NO comfort because I know racism is in their religion as well. They may claim the title of Christianity but their true practice and God they serve is and always will be White Supremacy.

11. This is NOT about breaking rules or making any profession look bad from another it is a INJUSTICE brought to one particular group of people unfairly and unconstitutionally. There are no rules in the nfl that state Kaepernick can not do what he did. It is an individual’s decision to say I have no problem with what he did and MAN UP to say even more I support it and YES he is one of my finest players on the field. It is ALL about imagine and money NOTHING to do with rules or reputation. Everyone is talking about Colin NOT the 49ers which is who he formerly played for. He has a right as a born American citizen to freely and peaceable protest and that is just what he did. No business owner, or corporate organization has any right to take that away form you. I support Kaepernick and only wish MORE people on his status would do the same and NOT hide behind… I have to follow the rules or I will be let go, loos my job, and know that it is GOD who is his source NOT an business owner or a corporation.

• African American Woman on said:

Who said life was fair? He who has the most money, has the most power. This is the way tge world works, unfortunately. It will always be if you are dependent on someone else for your livelihood, they may drop you if you lose a threat to their wealth and status….that’s why it becomes of the utmost importance to become owners instead of being at the whim of others. Nothing will change until we flex our collective wealth and power instead of yielding it to others who couldn’t give a damn about your cause or beliefs.

• I have the slightest idea who said life was fair honestly. Even as an business owner or CEO of any corporation you are will be dependent on others for your livelihood. In this case fans, and no CEO or company president does all his own work. Which is why what Kaepernick did is so phenomenal and much more needed. NO ONE should EVER own your heart for equality of ALL individuals to be treated the same. My voice belongs to me and no one else. Once again, being an American gives us that right and it can’t be taken away…period!! This NOT about ownership it is about INJUSTICE!

• African American Woman on said:

Being an owner definitely makes a difference because you can call the shots and you choose the direction of your business. We don’t look to own enough. Cash is king; that’s just the way it is. Many people do not agree with BLM and many people feel it’s unpatriotic to kneel during the national anthem. Right or wrong, many people feel this way. If its enough people that don’t agree, you can best believe that an owner is going to go with what keeps him rich. Taking a stand takes bravery, but, for every action, there is a reaction…that’s just the way it is. Sometimes, the reaction is not positive, but ask any influential change maker- loss comes with the territory. Humans are all different…you cannot force everyone to agree with you…just be yourself and let the chips fall where they may…what’s more important? Not speaking up for what you believe and forcing yourself to meet the status quo or breaking the status quo and speaking out? I’d take the latter…if I lost my job, then its time for me to look at other ways to support myself while still being true to myself. You can’t have it both ways…

12. Passing Through! on said:

When you have a bunch of racist who feel it’s their god given right to be able to kill ANY unarmed black person, this is the type of backlash that you face. The fact that anyone would be offended by someone peacefully protesting racism obviously shows the mindset of racist in AmeriKKKa. And these same hypocrites who praise Muhammad Ali and Dr. King criticize Colin Kaepernick for doing the same damn thing in his generation. White people are upset because he’s kneeling under their red, white and blue cloth that’s soaked with the blood of slaves, murdered children and innocent unarmed black people who they’ve been murdering for 400 years in this country with absolutely no conscious whatsoever. But most of these NFL team owners are Trump supporting racist anyway, they want to make an example out of Kapernick to deter future protest. You can be pulled over for being black, shot for being black, denied a job for being black, falsely imprisoned for being black, but you can’t protest injustice while being black.

• Who had a chance of losing revenue because Dr. King marched and protested? The only person losing money when Ali decided to not serve in the armed forces was Ali. You are sadly mistaken if you think the only people who disagree with what Kap did are white people. I’ve heard numerous black people defend the actions of the NFL. It’s all about the Benjamins.

• Passing Through! on said:

@KATES1221
        No I’m not mistaken at all! The bus system lost money when King protested Rosa parks arrest and blacks refused to use public transportation, and a lot whites who were relying on black labor lost out when black employees didn’t or couldn’t come to work due to transportation so you’re the one mistaken. And just because you can get a hand full of negros or find some mentally ill, self-hating black fool or coon like Ben Carson or Charles Barkley to go along with or agree with white injustice doesn’t make it right. You have a bunch of white racist offended because this man is staging a peaceful protest, but have no problem with a racist, treasonous nut-job being president. They disagree with Kapernick but will vote for donald trump, get the f**k outta here! If it’s all about the Benjamins black people should protest if Colin doesn’t get signed, the same way white folks turned off the t.v. because he took a knee, blacks need to turn off the t.v. if no one picks him up.

• Apples and oranges Passing. Apples and oranges. The bus system and whites relying on black labor lost money. Not the kind of money the NFL will unass if those tickets stop selling. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t make them mentally ill or any of the other derogative names you pounded out. And just because you say they’re wrong doesn’t make you right. Someone may read your post and deem you mentally ill. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. Yours doesn’t smell any better than anyone else’s. Just different.

• African American Woman on said:

Totally agree! I’m waiting to see how many black folk boycott the NFL? No tickets, no games and no pay per view…we’re always saying how powerful we are with our purchasing power, right? Put our money where our mouths are…Here,a little outside Philly, where I live,a group of wheelchair bound folks decided to protest something (I dont remember what). Anyway, the method they chose was to block rush hour traffic for people who had nothing to do with whatever they were protesting about. Now, they probably had a great reason, but your camaraderie goes out the window when you force your cause down people’s throats…now those same people who may have been supportive are now not because of the method they chose to get attention. Same for other venues…if I pay to see a movie, I don’t want to be forced to hear someone on their phone or having a conversation because that’s not what I paid for. Just like if I paid to go to a sporting event, I want to see the event, not someone playing out their one-man political protest show. Right cause, wrong method…As long as we keept trying to,force our agenda on others and expect them to blindly follow without question is going to get us where we are now…Kap with no team. I also know many black people who are over this because they have to see black in black murders and violence in their neighborhoods daily and no one cares about them, but enter a cop, and all hell breaks loose.

13. Prayer? Really? Prayer merely makes the person who prays feel better about the decision they have already come to WITHOUT prayer. This owner needs to stop praying and start THINKING. What is best for his team? That is all that matters.

14. Just goes to show us that black don’t matter and we have no say and if we do speak or standup to injustices they will really show you what you’re worth, we are in the year 2017 in America and we still have to bow to master. Let the man play football and kneel to injustice!

• African American Woman on said:

We have to matter to ourselves. The way we do that is to become owners instead of employees. When we depend on others to accept us and hire us, we will continue to be disappointed. Other groups of people don’t have this problem because they own and hire within so they are better equipped to fight the system. Since we don’t do that, we will always be at the whims of others.

15. African American Woman on said:

When there’s big money at stake, people will be sacrificed. Happens in every money making establishment. If you choose to be in a profession where someone else determines whether or not you work, sorry, but you gotta play by their rules…look at any job’s employee handbook. If you participate in any activity that puts their reputation or harms their relationships with their customerz, you will be cut off. Simple as that. Not to say that a person should not stand up for their beliefs, but I’m saying be prepared for some negative consequences of go into business for yourself. Its all about the green folks!