Mike Tirico isn’t trying to be Black. Here’s a picture:

Yup. That guy right there is not about the Black label, or apparently any labels at all. In an interview with the New York Times, he had the following to say about race:

“Why do I have to check any box? If we live in a world where we’re not supposed to judge, why should anyone care about identifying?” He continued, “The race question in America is one that probably never produces a satisfactory answer for those who are asking the questions.”

In a conversation back in 1991 with the Post-Standard, via Bar Tool Sports, Tirico had similar race struggles. He said both his parents are White and his upbringing was with an Italian family in Queens. This is how he told it:

“When people go around and say, ‘You are Black’— well, I don’t encourage it, but by the same token I don’t back off of it. If you want to call me that, that’s fine. But, you know, in my whole family, there’s nobody I know who is Black.”

He goes on to say that he’s seen photos of his father, his father’s mother, and his father’s sisters and they’re all White — the same with his mom’s side of the family. “They are all as White as the refrigerator I’m standing in front of right now,” Tirico explained.

In the article, he said he would like to do a genealogical study one day to see if he had Black ancestors, but he wasn’t pressed about it.  “Does it matter to me? Yeah, I’d like to find out the truth at some point, so I can answer questions for my kids,” he said. “But me? I’m living, I’m working, I’m leading an upstanding life. I don’t worry about it.”

A lot of the Internet’s reaction to Tirico’s race beliefs can be summed up in one tweet. Channeling Jay-Z‘s use of O.J. Simpson‘s line, “I’m not Black, I’m O.J.,” one user posted:

There you have it.

PHOTO: NBC

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Share your email below to receive our daily newsletter!

Huh? NBC Sports Announcer Mike Tirico Says He’s Not Black was originally published on globalgrind.com

Find Out What Your Fav Celebs Did On Instagram This Week (02/02-02/08)

54 thoughts on “Huh? NBC Sports Announcer Mike Tirico Says He’s Not Black

1. Geri Johnson on said:

If he’s not adopted, there’s some black blood on his mother’s side, or she needs to explain the little brown one to her husband. However the most pitiful one is Mile Tricio, didn’t know he was brainwashed too. Wonder how his parents raised him to hate himself so much. Pitiful and SAD!!

• Dr. Larry on said:

KKK closed their doors years ago. They could not produce violence and death as efficiently as blacks do unto themselves. Black on black crime and death is the #1 KILLER OF PEOPLE OF COLOR.

• Tunisia Morse on said:

America has abused Africans stolen from the motherland for so long we thinks it’s indignant when we don’t want to identify ourselves as black. Every country their members identify themselves by the country their from so if anything he’s just American. It’s a tragedy. White folks out number the killing of blacks forever

2. Nite Isaac on said:

Sir, you are a man of color , see I know I am a woman of color and I am two time lighter then you it does not matter who rise you , you have not really learn who you are or where you come from. Yes the family who adopt you did a great job but you need to know who your real mother and father are . Please, you may have a great education but you have have no common sense.

3. leadjustone on said:

There are those who believe that race is just a social construct. Obviously, he feels it is important to let everyone know that he is not black, even though he is not “as white as the refrigerator”. My diagnosis is ABTL syndrome…”Anything but this Lord!”

4. Hate to burst your bubble, but “You’z a Colored”…… This shows how people can have book sense but lack in common sense, no one should have to tell him that he is a man of color, smh~

• Now I’m a “sista” and I wouldn’t dare color my hair blond or wear colored contacts, I wouldn’t want to F my looks up, black is beautiful ALLLLLLL day! Unlike you, when I look in the mirror I see gorgeous, not cuz I think I’m more beautiful than the next person, but because I except ME for what I see. I can’t imagine being anything else, maybe you should try it Jose’.

• Diane on said:

What do u have to say about the white women who tan themselves all day?? They wish they were blk./ brown. And they love our blk men.

5. U can be. Whatever you want to be. He was adopted. Men never tell the full story anyway. U cant talk to MJ because he is dead.He is a person of color.

6. specialt757 on said:

He appears to be an intelligent person, after all he does have a job at a major network. I’m wondering why it never occurred to him to get a DNA test done. Even on sesame street they have the “which one of these things don’t belong” game, if no one in his “mom” or “dad’s” family is black then…

7. Aww hell naw…he ain’t getting a pass..nobody allowed Rachel Dolezal to be black so his ass can’t be nothing else but…if everyone else in his family is white .. then you ain’t white, you are adopted or your father was the milkman…gtfoh

8. Virginia on said:

When I saw the first picture I laughed because I thought it was a joke! Then I saw the baby picture and was rolling on the floor! Does this guy REALLY think he’s Italian? But then I started thinking about how sad it is, especially since he says he has children. These people are obviously not his biological parents. One of them, Maybe, both of them NO. He needs to take a DNA test for the sake of him family for medical and other reasons, and maybe find out who his family is. And then maybe he can stop making a fool out of himself. None of my business, just some advice.

9. rferebee on said:

Keep thinking you aint black wait until the white man pull the N..ger card on you. Ask Bill Cosby, OJ, Michael Jackson etc

10. Butter Pecan on said:

This is so laughable that this guy hasn’t figured out that he was probably adopted! Maybe one day when some rouge cop pulls him over and puts a bullet in his butt, he will figure it out! LMAO!!!

11. FallMornings on said:

Well Kneesee23, if that’s all it took for your to loose respect for someone, you never had it in the first place. What do you care who he identifies with?

• Amber on said:

“What you care who he identifies with”? Yeah, everyone say this until they need “black” support or get arrested and then what he does causes all blacks to get labeled. Like it or not, we as blacks are put in the same boat regardless if it is something good or bad. Image if President Obama would have behave like Trump. Do you think that would have caused all blacks to be label when trying to run for President again? YES. That is why many blacks care.

• Kneesee23 on said:

FallMornings – YES…Respect is earned…He’s in the public eye…there are probably a few kids out there who look up to this nut case and wanted to be in his position one day…It’s disrespectful to turn your back on a race…I stand by my word ! No respect !

12. Kneesee23 on said:

He’s just like Tiger Woods … deny deny deny until that career of his takes a hit. As long as his needs are being met, he doesn’t identify with his race…Let something happen that puts him in a negative light and he will be calling the black organizations for support…

I’ve just lost all respect for him !

13. swife@gmail.com on said:

Apparently, he was never told about the adoption, but REALLY??? By now, his %^# should’ve figured it out.

14. Iris Sanders on said:

He was adopted and they didn’t tell him which was an injustice to him. But one thing for sure if he ever gets pulled over or harassed by the cops they will treat him as skin color is……BLACK!