It’s the picture-perfect ending to a historic run.
President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama grace the cover Essence magazine’s October issue, and it’s the stuff Black fairy tales are made of.
Michelle’s hand lay softly on Barack’s chest while he cradles the bend of her back. They’re happily smiling, happily in love.
In an exclusive interview with the publication, the first couple reflected on their legacy.
“For me, things like My Brother’s Keeper … that’s something I’m confident we’ll be continuing after we leave …” President Obama revealed.
For Michelle, it was inspiring Black youth with her and her husband’s presence in the White House.
“I think when it comes to Black kids, it means something for them to have spent most of their life seeing the family in the White House look like them. It matters …” she said.
The always fashionable FLOTUS also covers Essence’s sister publication InStyle, where she discusses her style, influence, and the importance of motivating our Black girls.
“Girls are going to move our country and our world to a place where there’s more peace, more prosperity, more possibility, because women raise the next generations again and again and again,” the 52-year-old mom of two said.
And because Michelle is a woman of her word, InStyle collaborated with fashion notables to release a limited-edition designer tote bag to benefit the Peace Corps’ Let Girls Learn Fund in conjunction with the October issue. The collection will be available October 13 on Shop.InStyle.com.
“Both Essence and InStyle recognize the resounding influence that the First Couple has had on so many facets of our society. We are delighted that President and Mrs. Obama chose these two powerhouse brands to share their passions and engage with a diverse combined audience of nearly 50 million,” Alan Murray, chief content officer of Time Inc. said in a press release.
Barack and Michelle’s story in the White House is coming to an end, but they’ll always be a staple in our hearts.
The Obamas Through The Years
1. The couple wed on October 3, 1992. (AP)1 of 21
2. Barack popped the question at Gordon’s Restaurant, When dessert was served, the ring box was sitting on the plate. (AP)2 of 21
3. When Michelle first saw Barack's picture in a law firm directory she thought he had a big nose. (AP)3 of 21
4. For their Honeymoon, the Obamas drove down the California coast drinking wine and eating pizza. (AP)4 of 21
5. The Obamas were caught on the NBA's kissing cam, Michelle shyly denied the POTUS, before laying one on him the next time.(AP)5 of 21
6. They love the law. Both of them hold law degrees and worked as attorneys at the beginning of their careers. (AP)6 of 21
7. Michelle says Barack often helps her wash the family dishes. (AP)7 of 21
8. The Obama's first kiss was in front of the Baskin Robbins ice cream shop.8 of 21
9. The two met while working at Chicago law firm Sidley Austin in 1989, Michelle was Barack's supervisor. (PR)9 of 21
10. After refusing to go out with Barack for a month, Michelle finally agreed to their first date which was filled with fun. (PR))10 of 21
11. The couple saw Spike Lee's classic movie "Do The Right Thing on their first date. (AP)11 of 21
12. Also, on their first date the couple visited the art institute and ate at a cafe. (AP)12 of 21
13. The Obama's finished off their first date with a drink on the 99th floor of the John Hancock Building in Chicago. (AP)13 of 21
14. Michelle says Barack tucks her in to bed at night at 10pm since he goes to bed much later. (AP)14 of 21
15. In an interview with E Online, Michelle says she likes "None of the above" when it comes to boxers or briefs for the President.15 of 21
16. Michelle's nickname for the President is "Honey."16 of 21
17. The President credits Michelle with getting him to quit smoking cigarettes.17 of 21
18. The Obamas are said to use webcams to keep in touch while traveling apart.18 of 21
19. Just like us: Michelle revealed that the President can't make beds and that he never puts the butter away.19 of 21
20. The couple has two beautiful daughters, Malia and Sasha. (AP)20 of 21
21. Michelle is quoted saying the best gift she ever received from the President is "my children."21 of 21
PHOTO CREDIT: Kwaku Alston, Instagram