“Look, Hillary Clinton is not Bill Clinton. What Bill Clinton did, I think we can all acknowledge, was totally, totally, totally disgraceful and unacceptable,” said the Vermont senator.
He followed up this statement by letting the crowd know he isn’t running a messy, smear campaign against the former Secretary of State. Instead, Sanders wants voters to focus on where he and Clinton stand on issues like the disappearing middle class and wealth inequality.
“…What I am doing is contrasting my record with Hillary Clinton’s record, and they are very, very different records,” he said. “But I am not gonna get into the personal stuff. You’re looking at somebody who in a long political career — and you call up your friends in Vermont to verify this — I’ve never run a negative TV ad in my life.”
To reiterate his intent to run a campaign that’s solely focused on politics, the senator recently had an online ad that criticized Clinton taken down.
“Sometimes there are gray areas,” Sanders told ABC News at the time. “We felt that it was a gray area. We took the ad down. We are running a positive campaign.”
Fun Facts About The Wives Of The 2016 Presidential Candidates
1. Bernie & Jane O'Meara SandersSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Dr. Ben Carson & Lacena "Candy" CarsonSource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Lincoln & Stephanie ChafeeSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Mike & Katie O'MalleySource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Jim & Hong Le WebbSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Ted & Heidi Nelson CruzSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Jeb & Columba BushSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Mike & Janet HuckabeeSource:Getty 8 of 14
9. Chris Christie & Mary Pat FosterSource:Getty 9 of 14
10. Marco Rubio & Jeanette DousdebesSource:Getty 10 of 14
11. Donald & Melania Knauss-TrumpSource:Getty 11 of 14
12. Bill & Hillary ClintonSource:Getty 12 of 14
13. Carly & Frank FiorinaSource:Getty 13 of 14
14. John Kasich & Karen WaldbilligSource:Getty 14 of 14