This year was spectacular for me. For @SportsIllustrated to recognize my hard work, my dedication, and my sheer determination gives me hope to continue on and do better. As I always say, it takes a village it's not just one person. This is not just an accomplishment for me, but for my whole team. I am beyond honored. I love you guys! 2016? #letsdoit ❤️💋
Williams won three major titles at a time when many tennis stars are considered late in their career. Despite battling physical ailments, Serena hung on to the No.1 tennis athlete in the world status for six weeks this summer.
The interview details the adversity Serena was up against as she battled to the top. Plagued with the flu, after the French semifinal Williams’ family found her ‘curled up on a bench in the locker room, covered in towels and sobbing.’
‘I was crying so hard,” Serena says. “I didn’t want to win. I just wanted to go home. I said, ‘I can’t play anymore,’ Serena told SI.
Along with her body crumbling under pressure, Serena fought against her highly criticized on court etiquette.
At the Australian Open final, Serena yelled “Come on!” as her opponent blocked the ball back. The star was penalized for interference.
The interviewer recalls a time where losing a point would spiral Serena into rage:
‘In the 2011 U.S. Open final, Williams lambasted the official (“Are you the one who screwed me over last time here? . . . Don’t look at me. . . . If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way”)This time? Williams wiped her face and, two points later, ripped a forehand winner. She celebrated with a slow fist pump and a sardonically soft Come on.’
“I just kind of laughed,” Williams explains to SI. “A few years ago I wouldn’t have been able to laugh. I haven’t lost that part of me; I’m very passionate on the court, but I’ve learned to be fierce more on the inside. It was a Grand Slam final. I said, ‘Serena, just laugh. You’ve been here before.’ I learned from that experience.”
Learning and conquering, that has been the walk of Serena’s legacy. And we’re grateful to have her as an example of what it means to win internally and in your craft.
Powerful & Beautiful: Serena Williams’ Most Glamorous Moments
1. Give us life!Source:Getty 1 of 27
2. Pretty in pink at the ESPYs.Source:Getty 2 of 27
3. Killer curves.Source:Getty 3 of 27
4. Full glam mode.Source:Getty 4 of 27
5. Don’t get it twisted…Source:Getty 5 of 27
6. Serena knows how to dress it up!Source:Getty 6 of 27
7. Strutting.Source:Getty 7 of 27
8. Every girl’s favorite pose.Source:Getty 8 of 27
9. Spotted at the Halo Awards.Source:Getty 9 of 27
10. Hi Haters.Source:Getty 10 of 27
11. Pastel pretty.Source:Getty 11 of 27
12. One word: Stunning.Source:Getty 12 of 27
13. Serena handles runways with ease, too.Source:Getty 13 of 27
14. Praise hands-worthy.Source:Getty 14 of 27
15. Heart eyes x 100000.Source:Getty 15 of 27
16. Three snaps.Source:Splash News 16 of 27
17. The infamous booty.Source:Splash News 17 of 27
18. Enviable shape.Source:Splash News 18 of 27
19. Pardon her back.Source:Splash News 19 of 27
20. Over the shoulder.Source:Getty 20 of 27
21. This dress hugs her in all the right places.Source:Splash News 21 of 27
22. Drop dead gorgeous.Source:Getty 22 of 27
23. Heyyyyy, Serena.Source:Getty 23 of 27
24. What’s her secret? We need these abs.Source:Getty 24 of 27
25. Winning in style.Source:Getty 25 of 27
26. Fleek!Source:Getty 26 of 27
27. Perfect 10.Source:Splash News 27 of 27
Serena Williams Scores Sport’s Illustrated’s Sportsperson Of 2015 [POLL] was originally published on hellobeautiful.com