PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Bill Cosby admitted in 2005 that he secured quaaludes with the intent of giving them to young women he wanted to have sex with and that he gave the sedative to at least one woman and other people, according to documents obtained Monday by The Associated Press.

Cosby’s lawyers insisted that two of the accusers knew they were taking quaaludes from the comedian, according to the unsealed documents.

Nevertheless, attorneys for some of the numerous women suing Cosby seized on the testimony as powerful corroboration of what they have been saying all along: that he drugged and raped women.

The AP had gone to court to compel the release of a deposition in a sexual-abuse case filed by former Temple University employee Andrea Constand, the first of a cascade of lawsuits against him that have severely damaged his good-guy image.

Cosby’s lawyers had objected to the release of the material, arguing it would embarrass him. Ultimately, a judge unsealed just a small portion of the deposition.

“The stark contrast between Bill Cosby, the public moralist and Bill Cosby, the subject of serious allegations concerning improper (and perhaps criminal) conduct is a matter as to which the AP — and by extension the public — has a significant interest,” U.S. District Judge Eduardo Robreno wrote.

Cosby, with his oft-espoused views on topics including childrearing, family life, education and crime, “has voluntarily narrowed the zone of privacy that he is entitled to claim,” the judge wrote.

Cosby, who starred as Dr. Cliff Huxtable on “The Cosby Show” from 1984 to 1992, settled Constand’s lawsuit under confidential terms in 2006. His lawyers in the Philadelphia case did not immediately return telephone calls seeking comment on Monday. Constand consented to be identified but did not want to comment, her lawyer said.

“This evidence shows a pattern in which defendant ‘mentored’ naive young women and introduced drugs into the relationship, with and without the woman’s knowledge, in order for him to achieve sexual satisfaction,” Constand’s lawyer, Dolores M. Troiani, argued in court papers.

Cosby, 77, has been accused by more than two dozen women of sexual misconduct in episodes dating back more than four decades. Cosby has never been charged with a crime, and the statute of limitations on most of the accusations has expired.

“If today’s report is true, Mr. Cosby admitted under oath 10 years ago sedating women for sexual purposes,” said Lisa Bloom, attorney for model Janice Dickinson, who says she was drugged and raped. “Given that, how dare he publicly vilify Ms. Dickinson and accuse her of lying when she tells a very similar story?”

Celebrity attorney Gloria Allred, who is representing several women, said she hopes to use the admission in court cases against the comedian.

Cosby, giving sworn testimony in the lawsuit accusing him of sexual assaulting Constand at his home in Pennsylvania in 2004, said he obtained seven quaalude prescriptions in the 1970s. Constand’s lawyer asked if he had kept the sedatives through the 1990s, after they were banned, but was frustrated by objections from Cosby’s attorney.

“When you got the quaaludes, was it in your mind that you were going to use these quaaludes for young women that you wanted to have sex with?” Troiani asked.

“Yes,” Cosby answered.

“Did you ever give any of these young women the quaaludes without their knowledge?” Troiani asked.

Cosby’s lawyer again objected, leading Troiani to petition the federal judge to force Cosby to cooperate.

Cosby later said he gave Constand three half-pills of Benadryl, although Troiani in the documents voices doubt that was the drug involved.

Cosby had fought the AP’s efforts to unseal the testimony, with his lawyer arguing that the deposition could reveal details of Cosby’s marriage, sex life and prescription drug use.

“It would be terribly embarrassing for this material to come out,” lawyer George M. Gowen III argued in June.

He also said the material would “prejudice him in eyes of the jury pool in Massachusetts,” where Cosby is fighting defamation lawsuits brought by women who say his representatives smeared them by accusing them of lying.

Robreno, the judge, had temporarily sealed some documents in the Constand lawsuit but never ruled on a final seal before the case was settled. Under federal court rules in Pennsylvania, documents must be unsealed after two years unless a party can show specific harm. The judge ruled that Cosby’s potential embarrassment was insufficient.

Robreno asked last month why Cosby was fighting the release of his sworn testimony, given that the accusations in the Constand lawsuit were already public.

“Why would he be embarrassed by his own version of the facts?” the judge said.

Cosby resigned in December from the board of trustees at Temple, where he was the popular face of the Philadelphia school in advertisements, fundraising campaigns and commencement speeches.

Lawyer Gayle Sproul, representing the AP, in court last month called the married Cosby “an icon” who “held himself out as someone who would guide the public in ways of morality.”

Troiani, summarizing her evidence, painted a starkly different picture.

Cosby “has evidenced a predilection for sexual contact with women who are unconscious or drugged. His victims are young, ‘star struck’ and totally trusting of his public persona,” Troiani argued.

___

AP Television Writer Lynn Elber contributed to this report.

The Ten Most Interesting Little Known Black History Facts

39 thoughts on “Bill Cosby Admitted To Acquiring Drugs To Use For Sex In Court Testimony Years Ago

1. Phillip Beasley on said:

I just dont believe this lends any merit to what these old Hags are saying: Dont misunderstand me, Rape is rape and should be reported and handled by the authorities. and a rapist should get theirs. i just think Mr. Cosby has angered some people and this smear campaign has taken flight. All these years and now they all come out swinging at the same time. SORRY!!!!! i think this is BS…

2. psnthersdec on said:

Yet he went around the country being elistest as to tell poor black folks how to act as if he was the KING. Act like me I am the “PERFECT” husband, father with an education. Those same poor folks he talked about would have been the only one to defend you and now you can’t even look them in the face. Now God is showing you he is KING. And he’s been married how many years.

3. Babyboomer on said:

I’ll bet he wishes he had never went on the attack with his rants about the Black community. “People in glass houses…..
    You should never try to be the morality police when you have skeletons just waiting to fall out of your closet. I hate that these women went through what they did and if there’s some why for him to pay then so be it. However, truth is, had he simply retired and moved quietly into the background, most if not all of this probably would have never come out.

4. This same sad tale has happened millions of time with college frat boys and lounge lizards and others who want cheap sex from unconscious women and drug them or get them drunk so they can molest them. Pathetic. It’s like having sex with a corpse, what’s the fun in that? These lawyers make me sick, trying to protect their rich clients from “embarrassment” while us working stiffs would be in the slammer in 5 minutes over the same crime! In the USA, justice can be bought, and it is bought, every day by wealthy people with well-connected attorneys.

5. Ivan Cohen on said:

Unless Cosby slipped some of these drugs into the beverages of his wife, how could these “revelations” impact his marriage? Karma can be to paraphrase the late Johnny “Guitar” Watson, a real mother for you.

6. The mystery for me is how he got away for it for years, decades! As some have said, I guess the women were intimidated by his fame. This is similar to being in an abusive relationship, women are afraid to come forward.

7. Amber on said:

I said I would give this case a WAIT AND SEE. That desposition is damaging. End of story. I said I was waiting on COURT FACTS, not tabloid, internet gossip, tabloid shows, etc from Bill or these women. As it stand now, according to COURT documents and in BILL”S OWN WORDS. He gave women drugs. We know when it comes to these kind of crimes, women are abused by some men and some men are lied on by some women. This is why people need to learn to “wait and see”. Well, as it stands now, Bill told on himself. This explains why Cosby NEVER spoke out when accused. If I am falsely accused, I would be on every show I can to talk which I said in the beginning of this which I found odd for him to do but I still tried not to judge.

8. pac4me on said:

Sooo he might be embarrassed huh? What about ALL the women he took sexual advantage of – what about their embarrassment? Embarrassed that they told people and were met with “Keep your mouth shut or embarrassed that no one believed their stories”. I tried to give this psychopath the benefit of the doubt simply because of his status and appearance of a decent God-fearing man. Well, the devil has been known to hide in plain sight and Mr Cosby is a sexual deviant who has probably molested more women than we care to acknowledge. I hope this will lead to every single woman coming forward regardless of how long ago it happened so that the world can truly see the devil in the form of this man

9. STAR on said:

I don’t believe Bill Cosby is a serial rapist. He’s a womanizer, an adulterer, a hypocrite but not a rapist. If Bill Cosby is a rapist then so is Hugh Hefner because Bill learned from the best. I listen to one of the alleged victim’s story and it sounded like a fling, not rape. He gave her the Quaalude and beverage in hand but, she chose to take it and engage in sexual intercourse. I didn’t get the impression that he forced himself on her or spiked her drink. Numerous alleged victims gave similar stories. When Holly Madison revealed that Hugh Hefner did the same thing to her, she chose not to take the Quaalude. Whatever Bill Cosby was about to reveal about the NAACP must have been serious because they are going hard on him to keep him quite. He didn’t settle for the NBC sitcom offer so I guess destroying his reputation is the way to go. While promoting two new Summer time NBC Black sitcoms. Now that the 2005 testimony was “legally” unsealed, Bill doesn’t have anything to lose except his life.

• Joy2 on said:

Aaaaaa Star…so no chance of him losing his dignity huh?? Naaah I guess not. Dignity left him a looooong time ago!!

10. RENO2AC on said:

The older brother of a close friend of mine was drafted by the Eagles in 1981; he also played for the Browns. He had married a very beautiful, fair skinned black woman. Upon moving to Philadelphia, he said that he learned that it was “common knowledge” that Cosby was a predator. He was told, by multiple sources, multiple times, to keep his wife far, far away from Cosby.

11. October on said:

Why didn’t he own up to his midjudgements? True if he had told the truth from the beginning, I’m sure he told this to his lawyers in their chamers, this would probably not have so much weight. Don’t know how this going to turn out?

12. ausdawg on said:

Preface: My response is an objective look at the question and response:

“Yes,” Cosby answered.

This question is loaded, and leads to more conclusions than he drugged women to have sex (without their consent or knowledge–for taking drugs or sex). How is this different than make substituting “alcohol” for “Quaaludes.” Just parse this question out further.

“If today’s report is true, Mr. Cosby admitted under oath 10 years ago sedating women for sexual purposes,” said Lisa Bloom, attorney for model Janice Dickinson, who says she was drugged and raped.”

This is a mischaracterization of the question and affirmative response from Cosby.

• STAR on said:

Janice Dickinson was a $1 million dollars in debut and her home was going into foreclosure when she accused Bill Cosby of rape. After the ET interview OK! Magazine revealed that her financial situation was resolved. When this information was made public, Janice Dickinson did another televised interview to enforce her accusations.

13. Linda on said:

I initially wanted to give Mr. Cosby the benefit of the doubt-however, there is no doubt that he is a SEXUAL PREDATOR!!!!!

He is no different than the guy who slips a drug into a woman’s drink at the bar, then takes her home and does whatever sick mess he wants to do to her!!!!

He needs to own up to what he has done to women and maybe still continues to do- Cosby is one sick puppy and needs some type of therapy!!!!!!

• Amber on said:

Linda, you did right. you should give everyone the benefit of the doubt because none of us know (even people who wanted to believe these women can not say they know if these women were truthful. YOu do not know these women either. Look at the Duke Lacrosse case. Some women do lie about stuff like this just like some men do abuse women. Sad but true. This is why is it best to “wait and see”. The truth will be reveal on who is telling the truth). And now with the release of these COURT DOCUMENTS in Bills own words, it showing that he is the liar which is often the KEY to show who is really telling the truth.

14. I always felt that he was guilty to some extent. He had a few extramarital affairs that went public so I knew that it was not a big deal for him to go outside of his marriage. I know that some folks will do anything on the promise of being famous but there were just too many women with similar stories. Now he has totally embarrassed his wife and family. He is a old man now and should be enjoying his retirement instead he has lost the respect of many and will be known for being a person who drugged and sexually assaulted women.

• Tammy on said:

well you must dislike alot of people. we know 90% of people have a holy and thou attitude when it come to talking about others.

• @Tammy, I don’t HATE anyone. Let’s not put words in my mouth. I dislike anyone that I personally know that display a holier than thou attitude. Once again, blacks are not the only ones that supported this person. So if you are not responding directly to my statement then please refrain from responding with something that has nothing to do with what I said. I never said men and women don’t lie, I said that not only black people were defending him. Let’s stay on track with what the post actually states.

• @Tammy correction, I don’t dislike 90% of people. Just those that I deem to display and speak in a manner that they are holier than thou.

• pac4me on said:

Sick of hearing about it? probably because nothing like this has happened to you or a woman that you love. These women need vindication and hearing “about this” will finally give some of them courage to come forward, it will give others some closure and others some healing

• Joy2 on said:

Sick of hearing about it Candance??? That can easily be rectified….Don’t turn on your TV, nor computer, nor go onto websites like BAW. LOL

15. marva on said:

I bet you there are black people who support this sexual predator. From the time he started hating on poor black women and blaming them for all that’s wrong with the community i knew Bill Cosby had issues with women. He hates them.

• Tammy on said:

No, people were waiting on something that was FACTUAL. We know men lie but we know women lie. This is HIS OWN WORDS. This explains why he never came out and defended himself like others who were really falsely accused.

• @Tammy, Once again, blacks are not the only ones that supported this person. So if you are not responding directly to my statement then please refrain from responding with something that has nothing to do with what I said. I never said men and women don’t lie, I said that not only black people were defending him. Let’s stay on track with what the post actually states.

• Tammy on said:

Cam1cyle2, I was not speaking to your post. Stop jumping the gun and being on the attack mode. I was speaking to Marva.

• @Tammy, not in attack mode ever. But your response is directly under my post and not the other post. So the response would lead me to beliefe it was for me.

16. This surprises no one. Correction: only the supporters of a sexual abuser are surprised by the court documents.
    Had Cosby told the truth and nothing but the truth, those documents would have said sedatives were given to MORE than just one woman!

It is just so sad. Sad that so many did not believe the victims.

Although it is too late for each victim to criminally charge him for sexual assault, it would only be fair that he register as a sex offender because that is exactly what he is! He is a sicko!

• Tammy on said:

No, people were waiting on something to be truthful. Making making claims does NOT prove someone did it. This is his own words. I got suspious when Mr. Sidney P degraded Cosby a few months ago and we know Mr. Sidney is an upstanding man and actor who had nothing to gain or lose by degrading Cosby. What bothers me about this now is that the media often convict people/celebs who are accused and the evidence proved those celebs and people were innocent YET the media never expose this info. Goes to show that even the media have their picks.