Meet our latest obsession. Baltimore State Attorney Marilyn Mosby. She’s the person in charge of the investigation of Freddie Gray’s death at the hands of very violent Baltimore police. Gray’s suffered a spinal injury while he was in custody of six Baltimore officers who have been charged in his death.
Mosby’s announcement was the first time that we’ve met her and we’re so proud to not only see a sister in this position of power, but to see justice being served in this heart-wrenching case.
She started as an insurance company attorney and got a surprising and deserved win last November, so this is her first stint as an elected official. She beat out incumbent Gregg Bernstein by portraying herself as a crime crusader, determined to keep repeat offenders off the streets. She’s a super hero!
It was the murder of Marilyn’s 17-year-old cousin back in 1994 that helped her see that she wanted a career in criminal justice. “I learned very early on that the criminal justice system isn’t just the police, the judges and the state’s attorney,” she said. “It’s much more than that. I believe that we are the justice system. We, the members of the community, are the justice system because we are the victims of crimes.”
One she was sworn in, she promised she would fix the justice system and usually these are empty promises by politicians, but we’re seeing Mosby in action already and it’s a beautiful thing to watch! “As a Black woman who understands just how much the criminal justice system disproportionately affects communities of color, I will seek justice on your behalf,” she said at the ceremony.
Gosh, don’t you just love her? We do too! Get to know more about this amazing woman:
1. She just got this job
Marilyn has only been in this role as Baltimore State Attorney for four months. Bet she didn’t expect to be thrown into the spotlight so early. We see you Marilyn! Of course haters have already voiced their opinions, claiming she’s a little to wet behind the ears for the job, but she’s not letting that stop her from getting it done.
2. She’s top notch
At 35-years-old, Marilyn is the youngest top prosecutor of any major city in America. Talk about a boss!
3. She’s legacy
Coming from a long line of police officers, Marilyn has always been vocal about holding police officers accountable.
“My grandfather, my uncles, my mother, my father — I have five generations of police officers. I know that the majority of police officers are really hard-working officers who are risking their lives day in and day out, but those really bad ones who go rogue do a disservice to the officers who are risking their lives and taking time away from their families,” she told Baltimore Magazine back in January, when she started her tenure as state’s attorney.
In a campaign video for her 2014 campaign for state’s attorney, she said her grandfather “was one of the first African-American police officers in Massachusetts and one of the things he instilled on us is the importance of public service.”
During her campaign for state’s attorney, Mosby said, “Police brutality is completely inexcusable. I’m going to apply justice fairly, even to those who wear a badge.” This is just the kind of person Baltimore needs in their corner.
4. She lives a “Have-It-All” Life
Mosby is the mother of two adorable daughters and married to Nick Mosby, the man of her dreams. He’s a Baltimore city councilman who has been very vocal about the Baltimore Uprising. She met him while she was studying political science at Tuskegee University in Alabama. She was the first in her family to attend and graduate from college.
5. She Is BAE
Not only does she say things like, “No one is above the law,” but look at her! Marilyn is CUTE! Supreme BAE status.
Who Is Marilyn Mosby? Meet The Woman Behind Freddie Gray's Investigation
1. We're ObsessedSource:Getty 1 of 18
2. Birthday dance with @councilmanmosby #DancingMachinesSource:Instagram 2 of 18
3. #qselfiesummer #bmoreandvote #Bmore4Mosby #92qSource:Instagram 3 of 18
4. #qselfiesummer #92Q #Bmore #Baltimore #RockTheVote #ElectionDay #June24thSource:Instagram 4 of 18
5. #Women4ASaferBaltimore WELCOME to our Run/Walk! #OurTimeIsNowSource:Instagram 5 of 18
6. #MyRock @councilmanmosbySource:Instagram 6 of 18
7. With my Gladiators! #TeamMosby #OurTimeIsNowSource:Instagram 7 of 18
8. MSNBC featured our race on The Daily Rundown's "Rising Stars" segment. http://www.msnbc.com/the-daily-rundown/watch/whats-up-next-in-maryland-and-delaware--290679875914Source:Instagram 8 of 18
9. Sometimes you have to just stop and listen to what kids have to say. (Photo by @mi_nombre_es_cardecornish)Source:Instagram 9 of 18
10. Victory! (Photo by @mi_nombre_es_cardecornish)Source:Instagram 10 of 18
11. Had a fabulous time with men of Omega Psi Phi #CharmCity #QuesSource:Instagram 11 of 18
12. With my mother and grandmother on Election Night!Source:Instagram 12 of 18
13. THANK YOU BALTIMORE!!!!Source:Instagram 13 of 18
14. Was on The Anthony McCarthy Show today discussing my platform and what I will do to improve the Office of the State's Attorney.Source:Instagram 14 of 18
15. I had an amazing afternoon speaking to these young girls at the 2nd Annual Black Girls Rock Conference. They definitely have a very bright future ahead! #BGR #OurTimeIsNowSource:Instagram 15 of 18
16. The Zion Baptist Church & Oliver Community's Parade. @councilmanmosby and the girls enjoyed walking with me in the parade!Source:Instagram 16 of 18
17. I am so grateful. What a journey! Change starts with US! THANK YOU! #OurTimeIsNow #TeamMosbySource:Instagram 17 of 18
18. #EnoughIsEnough Peace Rally. Week 8. Baker & Appleton Streets.Source:Instagram 18 of 18
Marilyn Mosby: The Powerful Black State Attorney Overseeing The Freddie Gray Investigation was originally published on hellobeautiful.com