He must be on his way to stardom because he’s only been on TV for two months and yeEmpire actor Bryshere Gray has already shut down Internet rumors that he’s gay. He tweeted, “They funny I’m not even gay doe.” He added, “No I’m not gay. I could never be gay, let’s make that clear.”

Gray plays Hakeem, the youngest Lyon brother who’s a spoiled, fame-hungry rapper. Jussie Smollett plays his older brother, Jamal, who happens to be a closeted gay R&B singer.

According to E! Online, Smollett’s role as Jamal, the middle son, has inspired real-life gay kids with their struggles with coming out and acceptance.

“A kid wrote me a letter after the second episode,” Smollett said. “He said that Jamal gave him the courage to come out to his parents.”

He added, “It touched me so deeply because it was only the second episode. So it must mean something to people. It’s just an honor to bring that to life.”

Find stories you may have missed and even MORE trending stories HERE!

44 thoughts on “‘Empire’s’ Bryshere Gray: “I’m Not Gay”

1. Ock-Zany on said:

Y’all shut the hell up..!
    Why’s everybody tryna get in to someone’s real danm life?
    My question is..”After knowing the truth,so what’s next yo benefit in?”

2. Bryshere is so cute and in the video ”aint about the money” when his character Hakeem says, ”Hakeem the dream” he is right Hakeem is the dream.

3. I love bryshere gray… 💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💗💗💖💖💖💖💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💞💞💞💞💋💋💜💜💜… I believe you… I will show love 4 bryshere..💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💗💓💓💓💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💜💜💜💜💜💙💙💙💝💝💝💝💝💝.. I am crazy fan.. You know.. I believe him… He’s sweet funny kind.. I wish I could married him..💙💙💙💙… He’s not.. Just stop said it… Peace.✌✌✌✌✌✌

4. specialt757 on said:

“…people need to be careful about what they say about others”

Doris Mr. Gray didn’t say anything about others, he was speaking in reference to himself. “…I’m not even gay doe.” He added, “No I’m not gay. I could never be gay, let’s make that clear.””

5. JUST ME on said:

With being apart of such an outstanding show, please, please, please, DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE OPINION BAIT YOU INTO NEGATIVITY. RIDE HIGH, AND STAY THERE. NO RESPONSE BY YOU IS REQUIRED.

6. I am soooo fed up with this gay/straight thing….read your bibles….only god can judge….he has a freedom of speech to speak on his sexuality he just letting the world know that that’s not his cup of tea……#teamstraight

7. There is nothing wrong if a man only like vagina! If a man likes penis that is on them. Do not try to push the agenda of homosexuality on any one. Silly rabbit d***s are for Chicks!

8. well i think he just wants to make sure that since don lemon likes the show that his ass dont come for him! lol 🙂 not mad at that at all,

9. gay or not, he needs to take that vaseline off his lips and maybe he will not look so gay. he made it worst by making that comment, he could never be gay. he might have a gay son someday. how’s that gonna make you feel? smollett is a find brother gay or not, who cares and his lips are not shinning with vaseline

• the point was he sounds a little homophobic.how would he feel if he had a gay son one day? would he reject him?? people need to be careful about what they say about others. you never know what god has in store for you.

• please shut the hell up.he can express himself the way he wants.if he is a man who loves women he can express that.thats like someone saying I can never be straight…there would be no issue…my point exactly.its America he has a right to say what he feels w/o feeling like he cant bc of backlash.damn why every brotha have to be accused of being gay?why the hell can gays express theirselves but straight ppl cant?as long as no one says they hate gay ppl or using any derogatory language there should be no issue….Period.sooo you and sam can calm your hot headed behinds down like the rest of America…..because for some awkward reason America likes the try force the gay thing around to boost the gay popularity. have no hate,but not everyone feeling that.and he isn’t one who is feeling it either

• It’s the shiny lips. LOL I never questioned his personal sexuality but I do remember thinking a few episodes ago that the two actors playing Jamal and Hakeem needed to be switched.

10. specialt757 on said:

This article was more about Jamal’s character than Hakeem’s (Mr. Gray). Mr. Gray has the right to set the record straight. What’s worst: For someone to think you’re gay and you’re not than to actually be gay?

11. The comment must have been brought to him some kind of way. And he responded. He has a right to answer an allegation any way he wants to. So tired of people trying to make everything gay or straight. They (gay folks) came out the closet, got a toe hold on society’s door…now they want to always be seen AND heard. We hear and see y’all. And since it’s no big deal, stop making it one.

12. I love the show, characters; performances. Remember Bryshere: in life there will be many people/things that will try to make you loose focus. Keep your eyes/actions on the prize. Follow
    positive conversation, activities; people. You are a star don’t stop now for the bull.

13. You were doing fine until you included “I could never be gay.” Only an immature, egotistical moron would say something so ignorant–not to mention, insulting. This is tantamount to someone saying, “Me? I could NEVER date a black person.” As one of the previous comments advises, “KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!”

• specialt757 on said:

What’s wrong with him saying he could never be gay? I could never be gay, it’s not in me. Yes I could date outside my race, but to be gay, no. And I thought you were born gay…let gay people tell it.

• How is he an “egotistical moron” cause he said he “could never be gay” so your implying that he has no clue about his life, or sex orientation. No your the “egotistical moron” for making such a asinine statement

• I said it. on said:

If gay people are born that way, he can say that he could never be gay, because he wasn’t born that way. Gay people, you can’t have it both ways.

14. I want to know what kinda of relationship does he have going on with the older woman….. is it because he didn’t have his mom growing up – so he’s looking for a Ma..???

Just asking

15. Just stop talking. Your only job is to entertain us. Beyond that, why should it matter what people think about your sexuality? It would be different if it effected your bottom line. It doesn’t. So just stop talking.

16. No worries brother they want everyone to be gay since I was a little girl back in the 70’s lol that’s how long I’ve been hearing it. So you see there’s nothing new under the sun .You are doing great stay focus.Love you Sister Byrd

17. Timekeeeper on said:

He felt kike he needed to clarify and quite frankly I don’t blame him. So many are so quick to see something on TV, and assume it is real life.. Probably shouldn’t matter, but unfortunately, it does.
    Brother just wants to let the world know where he stands! I aint mad at ya, Bryshere!