Camille Cosby has come forward in defense of her husband of 50 years. She says the man that the media has put on trial in the last few months after more than two dozen accusers stepped forward accusing Bill Cosby of rape and sexual assault throughout their marriage have not given him the benefit of the doubt.

The normally private wife and mother released a statement today.

Here it is in its entirety:

“I met my husband, Bill Cosby, in 1963, and we were married in 1964. The man I met, and fell in love with, and whom I continue to love, is the man you all knew through his work. He is a kind man, a generous man, a funny man, and a wonderful husband, father and friend. He is the man you thought you knew.

A different man has been portrayed in the media over the last two months. It is the portrait of a man I do not know. It is also a portrait painted by individuals and organizations whom many in the media have given a pass. There appears to be no vetting of my husband’s accusers before stories are published or aired. An accusation is published, and immediately goes viral.

We all followed the story of the article in the Rolling Stone concerning allegations of rape at the University of Virginia. The story was heart-breaking, but ultimately appears to be proved to be untrue.

(Editor’s Note: While some of the circumstances of the story in Rolling Stone are now in question, no one, including the victim’s friends, who have now come forward and identified themselves has said that a rape did not take place.)

Many in the media were quick to link that story to stories about my husband – until that story unwound.

None of us will ever want to be in the position of attacking a victim. But the question should be asked – who is the victim?”

Do you believe her? Do you think Cosby is the victim of a media witch hunt or do you believe the allegations?

Celebs Who Have Been Accused of Sexual Assault

30 thoughts on “Camille Cosby: ‘My Husband Is The Man You Thought You Knew’

1. I don’t believe he did any of this all sudden women are coming forward and blaming him of rape and all why now are they coming forward why not when it all happened from the start what are they trying to get out . Of this all theses women are adults now this is all bull carp leave the poor man alone to all the women u know what happens when u lie

2. Michael Eric Dyson just spoke and he nailed it…when Beverly Johnson came out, the only thing Bill Cosby cold do is put his wife out there to take some bullets for him…Beverly is credible and he knew as long as most of the accusations were from white women, Cosby could successfully dismiss them…Bill hasn’t dismissed Becerly Johnson and he could not dismiss Spellman college suspending his professorship..so he sent his wife out..how courageous, chivalrous and manly of him to do…

3. Camille, I have enormous respect for you and the love you have for your husband. Regardless of what is found to be truth or lies, I have empathy for you. I can not imagine the pain in your heart as you look at this man every single day, a man that you have emotionally supported for the last 50 years, the father of your children, the love of your life. Continue to be the woman you are until you have proof to believe otherwise.

4. they full of shit, if it suppose to have happened,why wait 20 years to say it.mis me with the bullshit he aint touch neither of them women,ever time a black famous person get in the media u prosecute them to fuck up there name,no I don’t believe he did none of the thing,s he,s being accused of.

5. Now, some of these women may be lying, but I do not believe that ALL of them are lying. I stand by what my “Granny” always said…”You never know what evil lurks in the heart of man.” She was always careful when it came to her children, grandchildren, and nieces and nephews as to who had access to them. People are acting so incredulous as though Bill Cosby just could not, would not do the things that he has been accused of doing. Guess what people? He could have. Better than him has done worse. It is not an impossibility. The mantra “Why didn’t they tell” is consistently shouted. A lot of women, young and old, have been sexually abused and have NEVER told. When you parade your wife out to defend you, you know that you are in trouble. I want “folks” to stop acting as though a rich, powerful man in Hollywood using his influence to get what he wants is unheard of when it is actually the NORM.

• Jacklin Britton on said:

Well said reno2ac, nothing is impossible, man or woman we are all human being. If we think we can get away with something, there nothing that will stop us for trying.

6. Well did we think that she would come out and say “Yes my husband did these horrible things”? If these people were not telling the truth he would be able to sue them. Rape is serious and it leaves women scarred for years to come. What about the people he already paid off ? Were they lying too? Why hasn’t he addressed these allegations? I will give him this, he is a great actor, he is a funny comedian and he is a great philanthropist, but the point still stands. Some of the women that he raped already has money, so what could possibly be their motive? Why did all the t.v. networks drop him? Why did he resigned from the Board of Trustees? I bet if he would have drugged and raped one of your family members and they came out, you’d believe them!

• What I don’t understand is why these old coons didn’t report it when it happen! If Beverly Johnson don’t have nothing to lose, why in the hell she didn’t come forward! I refuse to say he guilty just because a black old coons backing up the chicken necks!

7. Michelle on said:

I normally dont speak on such topic just because you pretty much loose to the media usually they win just because of the set up they have to promote evil not good…..promote negativty not positive…….but I am a voice….and wheather heard or not…..Im speaking…..I am against ANY violence especially when it cause harm to others BUT I truely do not with these rape alligation against Mr. Cosby and hear are my reasons…..first your INNOCENT until proven guilty. …..second you dont waite a half of a century to report such thing……third why was these women ALONE WITH HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE……when your doing business. …..the business I do is NEVER in private unless its my husband or my doctor…..where he either to them? And I dont think this side or that side….I look at it on both sides…..I am a women who has been a victim during my life time and I have a father….brothers and uncle’s ……and just for a moment put yourself in everybody shoes dont be self righteous about it…..AND as for as Mrs. Cosby goes A lady with such great character I just dont see her lying for her husband. …..she seems to be upright and a virtual women…..she would not stand for it…..if it was so

8. specialt757 on said:

I just hope and pray that none of you are falsely “accused” of anything. Then you will have walked in a lot of “innocent” folk’s shoes. Be careful how you judge someone…you may be next. Many of us have already been judged wrong but still have the nerve to jump on the public lynching bandwagon. Let it be you or one of your family members…see how the tables turn. It’s easy for you to say what Mrs. Cosby should or should not do, you’re not in her shoes. Judgmental hypocrites.

9. As a child of the 80’s, Bill Cosby stopped being the man I thought he was when the young lady came out claiming to be his daughter. Camille also know who he is and is fine with it. What pretty much sealed the deal for me was Beverly. Some of the stories, I’m sure ,have been added to; some stories taken from & some deleted. Drugging any for sex is a bitch move. If they are drug users that’s called “partying”, but to drug them is unnecessary.

• Sharon Jones on said:

You have to question the reason or reason(s) that Beverly Johnson was ALONE with a man she knew was married. These whore’s (including, Bill Cosby) knew what they were doing. Like your mother advises, MEN do what you allow them to do. These women were MONEY hungry. They wanted, and still want a quick buck!

• trudy wells on said:

You know everybody is set to execute this man with out knowing the truth. What about innocent till proven guilty. The media twist things around so that you can see it the way they want you to see it. The media is the judge and jury. When was the trial I must of missed the guilty verdict.

10. Icabod Krane on said:

Those women are just trying to taint his last years as a successful black male role model. If the allegations are true, why are they just coming out now? Greed, that’s why and because he’s black

11. I have one question to ask and would very much like for someone to answer the question.But mainly my question is meant for Sybil of the tom joyner morning show.When was the date rape drug invented?and when did it come on the scene?I had never heard of the drug some thirty years ago.

12. 50 Years of marriage……What else would we expect her to say about Bill. Right, or wrong….it appears she’s standing by her man

• Sharon Jones on said:

Think for yourself people. STOP, insulting GOD. The TELEVISION shouldn’t come before GOD.This is garbage. Garbage to the 100th power. Anotber lynching by you know who.