Ever wonder how Rev. Al Sharpton shed almost 200 lbs in such a short period of time? He talked about his massive transformation to the New York Daily News and also gave the Tom Joyner Morning Show a few exclusive details.

The New York Daily News reports:

There were 60 candles on the cake — but none of it in Al Sharpton’s stomach.

Even at his own birthday party at the Four Seasons this month, surrounded by the governor, the mayor and Aretha Franklin, the Rev didn’t take a bite of the sugary treat.

It’s not simply that he hasn’t had any sweets in years. He hasn’t had dinner in years, either.

Call it “the Al Sharpton Diet,” but this once-rotund reverend has dropped from 305 pounds to exactly 129.6 pounds. The precise weight was recorded this week on Sharpton’s bedroom scale at 5 a.m., when the man of the (much less) cloth begins his day.

Sharpton has shed 60% of his much-mocked weight — and he did it without surgery, diet pills or a single Weight Watchers meeting.

“I could take all the cartoons in the tabloid newspapers, but I couldn’t take my daughter punching me in the belly and asking why I was so fat,” Sharpton recalled. “That was my inspiration to lose the weight. And probably the last time anyone hurt my feelings.”

That incident with his daughter happened nearly 15 years ago, when she was 12. But it wasn’t until more recently that Sharpton devised his strategy to drop the pounds — just stop eating.

That’s only a minor simplification.

Around six years ago, Sharpton cut out red meat. A year later, he did away with chicken — no small feat for a guy who ate fried fowl three times a day (with grits and eggs for breakfast and on a sandwich in the afternoon, plus a half-chicken for dinner).

Eventually he cut out so much food that he was subsisting on a single lunchtime salad (albeit with one perk: a chopped egg). That’s when the weight really started coming off, at a rate of about 2 pounds a week. And as he got thinner, he found he missed food less and less.

“I was absolutely content just doing the salad,” he said. “As a kid who grew up chubby, I just marveled at the fact that I could be thin.”

His doctor was not so content and told Sharpton to add green juice, a banana and three slices of plain whole wheat toast to the mix.

He’s a shadow of his former self — and that former self certainly cast a wide shadow. When he emerged as a civil rights activist during New York’s race-relations nadir of the mid-1980s, Sharpton marched for justice looking like a velour-covered beach ball.

In Howard Beach, Bensonhurst, Crown Heights and after the shooting of Amadou Diallo, there was Sharpton, an irresistible force in a massive track suit and a shiny medal, his oversized gut threatening to deflect attention from his cause.

He has been charged and acquitted of tax evasion, stabbed in the chest during a protest, sent to prison for protesting on a Navy base, and run for President — and always remained a larger-than-life figure. He’s still larger than life, but his figure no longer is.

Before dawn, Sharpton wolfs down his breakfast, one slice after the next, like a man who hasn’t eaten anything in 11 hours. Which, of course, he hasn’t, since he no longer eats anything after 6 p.m.

REV. SHARPTON’S DAILY DIET

Whole wheat toast, 3 slices = 300 calories (15 g of protein)
Doctor Earth green juice from Juice Press, 2 bottles = 360 calories (4 g of protein)
Salad with egg and balsamic vinaigrette = 240 calories (6g of protein)
Banana = 100 calories (1g of protein)
Total = 1,000 calories and 26g protein. For a man of his age and weight, 2,000 calories and 56g protein are typical.

(Photo Source: Instagram; Video Source: NY Daily News)

28 thoughts on “How Rev. Al Sharpton Lost Almost 200lbs [WATCH]

1. Marilyn Willett on said:

He looks as ugly now as his heart is evil, only good thing is there’s less of al sharpton.
    What a disgrace to the Christian community.

2. I feel whenever someone overweight lose weight it’s a good thing but this is to much. I’m a 5″6 female and I weight 130. I don’t think a 5″10 man should weight the same. He just doesn’t look healthy to me.

3. He’s starting to look anorexic. He’s 5’10” and he’s 130? That’s ridiculous. He should be at least 150. IMHO. He better be careful about going the opposite extreme. I must admit though that given the 2, I’d rather see him too thin than too heavy.

4. seriously on said:

With the 70% obesity rate just in the Black community, I would think his weight lose would be copied and supported…Talk about misery loves company…No, fat is not attractive or healthy and you are fooling yourself and your future heart, diabetes, high blood pressure and stroke believing that extra weight is sexy…until that starting cutting off your limbs and you are on the kidney transplant list for diabetes, or paralyze from strokes…

5. pac4me on said:

Sooo was it really required for you to say “looking like a velour-covered beach ball” and “his oversized gut” and “wolfs down his breakfast” – Look we’ve all seen the Rev at his highest weight and Thank God he did something about it before it caused him some serious health related issues.

6. Al is the man to be admired. I honor him as a MOG and his action Jackson style of handling his business. However, he looks like a peppermint stick . I pray that his brains didn’t shrink . He should put the brakes on and re-evaluate his weight obsession. I wonder did his private parts also shinked. Dogs don’t like bones as the saying goes they bury them. He could fit in a childs play toy box. Bring more of the real Al back.

• seriously on said:

Yeah dogs buries bones..But the graveyards is full on morbidly obese people who died solely because of their obesity…I think healthy always look good…Seems like folks have a problem with those who want to increase their life span and health…I say good for Rev. Al

7. Al looks great! It’s not easy to change lifestyle habits! I’m doing the same thing! Please support my efforts!
    Vote #6-Vote #6-Vote #6—– I’m in a weight loss competition and I need your help!!!! Please vote for me! Thank you! Click the link and vote #6. You can only vote multiple times with Wi-Fi! Thank you!

Pass it along please! Good looking out! Voting ends 10/29/14 by 5pm!

8. Sharon on said:

I agree with you, EIB and your negative opinion is just that; negative! I respect Rev. Sharpton very highly in spite of how white media negates him. Nancy you watch too much Faux News!

9. Isabella on said:

It is not a good look. And unless you’re a 4’11 or 5′ male, in other words a Jockey, 126lbs is not a man-size weight.

10. redbone1954 on said:

He look s sick but to each his own I think he lost too much weight he has startd looking like a bobble head and his head looks too big for his body SMH. A healthy weight always looks good

11. While you are entitled to your opinion, Al Sharpton is not liked by people like you, because he is a threat by not backing down from standing up for justice! Also, learn the difference between the words “too,” and “to,” which is the correct word to have been used in regards to your comment; before you sound-off trying to insult the Reverend Al Sharpton.