Ever wonder how Rev. Al Sharpton shed almost 200 lbs in such a short period of time? He talked about his massive transformation to the New York Daily News and also gave the Tom Joyner Morning Show a few exclusive details.
The New York Daily News reports:
There were 60 candles on the cake — but none of it in Al Sharpton’s stomach.
Even at his own birthday party at the Four Seasons this month, surrounded by the governor, the mayor and Aretha Franklin, the Rev didn’t take a bite of the sugary treat.
It’s not simply that he hasn’t had any sweets in years. He hasn’t had dinner in years, either.
Call it “the Al Sharpton Diet,” but this once-rotund reverend has dropped from 305 pounds to exactly 129.6 pounds. The precise weight was recorded this week on Sharpton’s bedroom scale at 5 a.m., when the man of the (much less) cloth begins his day.
Sharpton has shed 60% of his much-mocked weight — and he did it without surgery, diet pills or a single Weight Watchers meeting.
“I could take all the cartoons in the tabloid newspapers, but I couldn’t take my daughter punching me in the belly and asking why I was so fat,” Sharpton recalled. “That was my inspiration to lose the weight. And probably the last time anyone hurt my feelings.”
That incident with his daughter happened nearly 15 years ago, when she was 12. But it wasn’t until more recently that Sharpton devised his strategy to drop the pounds — just stop eating.
That’s only a minor simplification.
Around six years ago, Sharpton cut out red meat. A year later, he did away with chicken — no small feat for a guy who ate fried fowl three times a day (with grits and eggs for breakfast and on a sandwich in the afternoon, plus a half-chicken for dinner).
Eventually he cut out so much food that he was subsisting on a single lunchtime salad (albeit with one perk: a chopped egg). That’s when the weight really started coming off, at a rate of about 2 pounds a week. And as he got thinner, he found he missed food less and less.
“I was absolutely content just doing the salad,” he said. “As a kid who grew up chubby, I just marveled at the fact that I could be thin.”
His doctor was not so content and told Sharpton to add green juice, a banana and three slices of plain whole wheat toast to the mix.
He’s a shadow of his former self — and that former self certainly cast a wide shadow. When he emerged as a civil rights activist during New York’s race-relations nadir of the mid-1980s, Sharpton marched for justice looking like a velour-covered beach ball.
In Howard Beach, Bensonhurst, Crown Heights and after the shooting of Amadou Diallo, there was Sharpton, an irresistible force in a massive track suit and a shiny medal, his oversized gut threatening to deflect attention from his cause.
He has been charged and acquitted of tax evasion, stabbed in the chest during a protest, sent to prison for protesting on a Navy base, and run for President — and always remained a larger-than-life figure. He’s still larger than life, but his figure no longer is.
Before dawn, Sharpton wolfs down his breakfast, one slice after the next, like a man who hasn’t eaten anything in 11 hours. Which, of course, he hasn’t, since he no longer eats anything after 6 p.m.
REV. SHARPTON’S DAILY DIET
Whole wheat toast, 3 slices = 300 calories (15 g of protein)
Doctor Earth green juice from Juice Press, 2 bottles = 360 calories (4 g of protein)
Salad with egg and balsamic vinaigrette = 240 calories (6g of protein)
Banana = 100 calories (1g of protein)
Total = 1,000 calories and 26g protein. For a man of his age and weight, 2,000 calories and 56g protein are typical.
1. Bobbi Kristina - before1 of 38
2. Bobbi Kristina -after2 of 38
3. Chrisette Michele - before3 of 38
4. Chrisette Michele - after4 of 38
5. Queen Latifah - before5 of 38
6. Queen Latifah - after6 of 38
7. Tami Roman - before7 of 38
8. Tami Roman - afterSource:PR Photos 8 of 38
9. Randy Jackson - before9 of 38
10. Randy Jackson - after10 of 38
11. Paula Patton - before11 of 38
12. Paula Patton - after12 of 38
13. Aretha Franklin, Before13 of 38
14. Aretha Franklin, After14 of 38
15. Jennifer Hudson, Before15 of 38
16. Jennifer Hudson, After16 of 38
17. Anthony Anderson, Before17 of 38
18. Anthony Anderson, After18 of 38
19. Jill Scott, Before19 of 38
20. Jill Scott, After20 of 38
21. Jordin Sparks, Before21 of 38
22. Jordin Sparks, After22 of 38
23. Kyle Massey, Before23 of 38
24. Kyle Massey, After24 of 38
25. Monique, Before25 of 38
26. Monique, After26 of 38
27. Raven Symone, Before27 of 38
28. Raven Symone, After28 of 38
29. Star Jones, Before29 of 38
30. Star Jones, After30 of 38
31. Rev. Al Sharpton, Before31 of 38
32. Rev. Al Sharpton, After32 of 38
33. Al Roker, Before33 of 38
34. Al Roker, After34 of 38
35. Amber Riley, before35 of 38
36. Amber Riley, After36 of 38
37. Janet Jackson, Before37 of 38
38. Janet Jackson, After38 of 38
(Photo Source: Instagram; Video Source: NY Daily News)