Wow! Toni Braxton sat down for an interview and discussed one of the most personal bits of information imaginable with reporters. The New York Daily News says she admitted to having an abortion during the same time as her bankruptcy trouble a number of years back. She is revealing it in a new tell all book called “Unbreak My Heart“.
According to the interview that she gave to ET, Toni claims that more than 10 years ago, she discovered she was pregnant by her then-boyfriend, soon to be husband Keri Lewis. (Of R&B band Mint Condition) Toni says she was in the middle of a six-month prescription of Accutane, which is a heavy-duty prescription acne treatment that can produce devastating side effects for fetuses.
She made the decision to terminate the pregnancy, as a result of this but in the book she admits that even if she hadn’t been on the medication, she would’ve made the same decision. According to Braxton, her reasons had more to do with convenience than fear her baby would be abnormal.
Toni confesses that for weeks after the procedure she was wracked with guilt as she grew up in an uber religious home where she was not even allowed to wear pants nor could she go to the movies. Homework was usually neglected in favor of learning up to 26 scriptures a week. In other words she felt that God was not happy with her for what she had done.
Years after the abortion, when Braxton’s youngest son, Diezel, was diagnosed with autism she felt she was to blame. In her book she wrote,
“Is God punishing me for that abortion?”
Braxton realizes that might sound odd, but says she
“believed that God’s payback was to give my son autism.”
She further felt that her own personal battles with heart disease, lupus and her parents divorce were God’s punishment for her decision to end her pregnancy.
Be sure to keep a look out for Toni’s book “Unbreak My Heart” to hear more about her story.
Our Favorite Black Celebrity Siblings
1. Bella, Bria, Angel and Shayne MurphySource:Nicole Murphy Instagram 1 of 21
2. Tasha and SIdra SmithSource:Tasha Twitter 2 of 21
3. Tracee, Evan and Chudney RossSource:PR Photos 3 of 21
4. Malika and Khadija HaqqSource:PR 4 of 21
5. Da Brat and Lisa RayeSource:PR Photos 5 of 21
6. Tia Mowry-Hardict, Tahj Mowry and Tamera Mowry-HouselySource:PR Photos 6 of 21
7. Tamar, Trina, Toni, Traci and Towanda BraxtonSource:PR Photos 7 of 21
8. Erica and Tina CampbellSource:PR Photos 8 of 21
9. Sasha and Malia ObamaSource:PR Photos 9 of 21
10. Serena and Venus WilliamsSource:PR Photos 10 of 21
11. Brandy and Ray JSource:PR Photos 11 of 21
12. Chris and Tony RockSource:PR Photos 12 of 21
13. The JacksonsSource:PR Photos 13 of 21
14. Marlon, Shawn, Damon and Keenen WayansSource:PR Photos 14 of 21
15. Angela and Russy SimmonsSource:Instagram 15 of 21
16. Charlie and Eddie MurphySource:PR Photos 16 of 21
17. Romeo and Cymphonique MillerSource:PR Photos 17 of 21
18. Willow and Jaden SmithSource:PR Photos 18 of 21
19. Meagan Good-Franklin and Lamiya GoodSource:PR Photos 19 of 21
20. Jurnee Smollett-Bell and her siblings, Jussie, Jake, Jazz, Jojo and JocquiSource:Instagram 20 of 21
21. Beyonce and SolangeSource:PR Photos 21 of 21