Located in the West Adams district of Los Angeles, The Wilfandel House was built in the 1940’s as a society club for affluent blacks. The house catered to Black who desired an upscale event center but weren’t allowed in the large white-only hotels or country clubs.
Run by women who wore white gloves, pearls and hats, the Wilfandel House attracted notice from Blacks around the country. The club became a city staple, hosting summer camps and funding community projects.
With integration, more Blacks moved to clubs that once closed their doors to African-Americans. Without its usual clientele, the Wilfandel clubhouse was used less frequently and with less funds, the house became difficult to maintain.
While the Wilfandel club is still alive with 48 members, all over age 40, those same pearl-wearing women are now in overalls and work gloves, trying to restore a house of manners that was once a national black historic sanctuary.
They are hoping to raise money for restorations through donations.There are no servants in the servant’s quarters anymore, just proud women hoping to restore a building once considered the pride and joy of the African-American social scene in L.A.