A Florida appeals court is ordering a new trial for a woman sentenced to 20 years to prison after she fired a warning shot in a wall during a dispute with her husband.
The 1st District Court of Appeal ruled that a judge did not properly instruct the jury handling the case of Marissa Alexander. But the appeals court also said the judge was right to block Alexander from using the state’s “stand your ground” law as a way to defend her actions.
Alexander had never been arrested before she fired a bullet at a wall one day in 2010 to scare off her husband when she felt he was threatening her. But the judge at her trial said her conviction on aggravated assault with a deadly weapon carried a mandatory 20-year sentence under state law.
Her case in Jacksonville has drawn attention and criticism aimed at mandatory-minimum sentencing laws.
Folks Jailed While Zimmerman Walks Free
9 photos Launch gallery
1. Lauryn Hill served jail time on a tax conviction. (Photo: AP)
1 of 9
2. Michael Vick served time for dog fighting. (Photo: PRPhotos)
2 of 9
3. In 2007, Lil Wayne was jailed for smoking marijuana and for possession of a pistol outside his tour bus. (Photo: AP)
3 of 9
4. Rapper Ja Rule was jailed for possession of a weapon and tax evasion. (Photo: AP)
4 of 9
5. Wesley Snipes was jailed for failing to file federal income tax returns.
5 of 9
6. Singer Ron Isley was jailed for tax evasion. (Photo: AP)
6 of 9
7. Lil Kim served time for three counts of perjury and one count of conspiracy related to a shooting outside a Manhattan studio. No one was injured.
7 of 9
8. Martin Luther King, Jr. was jailed several times for peacefully protesting during the Civil Rights Movement. (Photo: AP)
8 of 9
9. Domestic abuse victim Marissa Alexander was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 2012 for firing two warning shots into a wall. (Photo: Hellobeautiful)
9 of 9