ATLANTA (AP) — An arrest warrant was issued for Gucci Mane after a fan told police the rapper hit him in the head with a champagne bottle at a downtown Atlanta nightclub.
James Lettley, of Fort Hood, Texas, said he was in Atlanta for his birthday and heard that the rapper — whose real name is Radric Davis — was going to be at the Harlem Nights Ultra Lounge promoting a new mixtape.
Lettley, 32, said Saturday he wanted to get a picture with the rapper and was talking to a security guard when he was hit March 16.
“Once he struck me in my head, I looked at him in a state of shock and looked at him like ‘why?'” Lettley said. He said he was then hit in his face by a second man and left the club.
Police said the assault appeared to be unprovoked and caused a severe gash to Lettley’s head.
He was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital and said he had to get 10 stitches. Police said the rapper may have taken off in a white Chevrolet Tahoe.
Lyon said a warrant has been issued for aggravated assault. Calls to numbers listed for Davis were not returned Saturday. It’s unclear if the rapper has an attorney.
Rappers With a College Degree
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Honorary: Diddy spent some time at Howard University but never finished. This year he received an honorary Doctorate.
1 of 25
2. Childish Gambino (Donald Glover) Glover graduated with a degree in Dramatic Writing from NYU’s Tisch School of the Art.
2 of 25
3. Honorary: Lil Wayne went to the University of Houston before transferring to the University of Phoenix to take classes online.
3 of 25
4. Mos Def graduated from NYU
4 of 25
5. Honorary: Common attended Florida A&M for two years with an academic scholarship
5 of 25
6. Camron graduated from junior college in Texas
6 of 25
7. 2 Chainz graduated from Alabama State University
7 of 25
8. Lil Jon graduated high school, finished college at Ohio State University in '93 and straight into the music biz. (AP)
8 of 25
9. Producer, Singer Ryan Leslie has a Degree in Government & Economics from Harvard University. (PR Photos)
9 of 25
10. J. Cole has a Bachelor's Degree in Communications with a minor in Business from St. John's University. (AP)
10 of 25
11. Joe Torry has a Degree in Mass Communications from Lincoln University. (PR Photos)
11 of 25
12. David Banner has a Bachelor's Degree in Business from Southern University. (PR Photos)
12 of 25
13. Young MC has a Bachelor's Degree in Economics from the University of Southern California. (PR Photos)
13 of 25
14. Ludacris has a Bachelor's Degree in Music Management from Georgia State University. (AP)
14 of 25
15. Public Enemy's Chuck D. has a Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design from Adelphi University (New York) (PR Photos)
15 of 25
16. M.I.A. She completed a program in fine art, film and video at London's Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design. AP
16 of 25
17. Ice Cube earned a degree in Architecture from Phoenix Institue of Technology in 1988. (PR Photos)
17 of 25
18. Stat Quo has a Bachelor's in International Business & Economics from the University of Florida. (TheUrbanDaily)
18 of 25
19. Rapper Sage Francis earned a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism from the University of Rhode Island in 1999. (Twitter)
19 of 25
20. Talib Kweli has a New York University Theatre and Arts Degree. (Photo: AP)
20 of 25
21. Flava Flav earned degrees in Radio Communications & Business from Adelphi University. (Photo: AP)
21 of 25
22. MC Solaar earned degrees in Languages and Philosophy from the Jussieu Campus of the University of Paris. (Tumblr)
22 of 25
23. Musta Ace earned a Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Rhode Island. (Tumblr)
23 of 25
24. Rumor has it that Plies graduated from a four year college in Miami with a Degree in Nursing. (Photo: EURweb)
24 of 25
25. The late great GURU (Keith Elam) earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration from Morehouse College
25 of 25