See “Celebs Who Were Adopted or Orphaned” photo gallery below.
A Utah court has ruled that a South Carolina man whose wife put their baby up for adoption without his knowledge can regain custody of his daughter after a long two year battle.
Terry Achane, was serving as an Army drill instructor when his wife put their daughter Teleah up for adoption. The judge ruled in favor of Achane, citing he was “astonished and deeply troubled” but the adoption agency’s handling of the adoption.
The adoption agency allowed for the adoption to occur without any consent from Achane who was legally married to the child’s mother at the time.
Jared and Kristi Frei, the adoptive parents, and the adoption agency were given 60 days to return Teleah, who is now 21 months old back to Achane.
The Frei family plans to appeal the ruling.
However Achane is pleading with the family to reconsider filing an appeal saying, “There is no court order saying they have the right to my child. I just won the case. I want to get my daughter and raise my daughter.”
Teleah’s mother Tira Bland was married to Achane when the couple became pregnant. Achane then moved to work as a drill instructor in South Carolina. He believed his then wife would move to South Carolina with him but before he re-location the two began having marital problems.
According to reports, Bland suggested the couple abort the baby or give it up for adoption, but Achane declined both options.
While Achane was away working, Bland secretly gave birth to their daughter and gave her up for adoption in the spring of 2011.
Achane found out months later that she was given up for adoption after Bland admitted it to him after months of being unable to contact his then-wife.
After finding out his daughters fate, Achane began fighting to gain custody of her.
Unfortunately, while Achane gains his daughter back the Frei’s lose a child after almost two years of being her parent. It is definitely a lose-lose scenario.
Famous Folks Who Were Adopted, Orphaned Or Have Adopted
20 photos Launch gallery
1. NFL wide receiver Demaryius Thomas was raised by his aunt Shirley and her husband after his mother was incarcerated for intent to distribute cocaine when he was 11-years-old. His father was serving overseas in the Army..
1 of 20
2. Comedian Tommy Davidson was adopted by a white couple when he was around two years old. (Photo: PR Photos)
2 of 20
3. Dancer and actress Victoria Rowell was a foster child for most of her childhood with both black and white families. (PR)
3 of 20
4. The late Nelson Mandela was taken to a larger village and raised as a ward after his father died.
4 of 20
5. Rachel Crow of X Factor was adopted by a white family when she was small.
5 of 20
6. Darryl McDaniels of RUN-D.M.C. discovered he was adopted while gathering information for his autobiography in 2000. (PR)
6 of 20
7. Louis Armstrong was raised by his grandmother and in an orphanage when she was unable to care for him. (Photo: AP)
7 of 20
8. Actor & Rapper Ice-T was orphaned at the age nine and was looked after by a variety of family members and neighbors. (AP)
8 of 20
9. Actor and comedian Jamie Foxx was adopted at seven months by his maternal grandmother. (Photo: AP)
9 of 20
10. Nicole Richie was adopted by legendary singer Lionel Richie. (Photo: AP)
10 of 20
11. Bo Diddley was adopted and raised by his mother's cousin, Gussie McDaniel, whose surname he adopted. (Photo: AP)
11 of 20
12. Malcolm X was raised in an orphanage and in foster care. (Photo: AP)
12 of 20
13. Marilyn Monroe spent much of her childhood in foster homes due to her mother's mental illness. (Photo: AP)
13 of 20
14. Daunte Culpepper was adopted by one of the housemothers of the jail his teenage mom was in when he was born. (Photo: AP)
14 of 20
15. Keegan Michael Key was adopted as a child by two social workers. Later on in life her met his mother and found out he had two half brothers who died.
15 of 20
16. Keyshia Cole was adopted at the age of two by family friends Leon and Yvonne Cole which is where her last name comes from. She met her biological father boxer Virgil Hunter in 2016 after a paternity test.
16 of 20
17. Gary Coleman He was adopted as a small child by W. G. Coleman, a fork-lift operator, and Edmonia Sue, a nurse practitioner (Photo Credit: Facebook)
17 of 20
18. Jesse Jackson was adopted by his stepfather at the age of one. He took his stepfathers last name. (AP)
18 of 20
19. Viola Davis Julius Tennon adopted their little girl Genesis as newborn in October of 2011
19 of 20
Celebs Who Break-Up to Make-Up
17 photos Launch gallery
1. Teddy and Tina Campbell
Source:Tina Campbell Instagram
1 of 17
2. Gabrielle Union-Wade and Dwayne Wade
Source:Gabrielle Union Wade Instagram
2 of 17
3. Keyshia Cole and Daniel Gibson
3 of 17
4. Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick
4 of 17
5. Chris Brown and Karrueche
Source:Chris Brown Instagram
5 of 17
6. Robert De Niro and Grace Hightower
6 of 17
7. Diddy and Kim Porter
7 of 17
8. Omar Epps and Keisha Spivey
8 of 17
9. Snoop Dogg and Shante
9 of 17
10. Rihanna and Chris Brown
10 of 17
11. Fantasia Barrino and Antwaun Cook
11 of 17
12. Laura Govan
12 of 17
13. Kobe and Vanessa Bryant
13 of 17
14. Rapper Fabolous and girlfriend Emily B
14 of 17
15. Joseline and Stevie J
15 of 17
16. Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake
16 of 17
17. Pink and Carey Hart
17 of 17