ShaquilleONealAP

Former NBA superstar Shaquille O’Neal has always been a strong supporter of the police, and he has weighed in once more with his All Lives Matter rhetoric, this time by claiming that he’s not worried when he’s stopped by police because he’s “respectful.”

“When I get stopped by the cops, I’m not worried. And it has nothing to do with being Shaq. You know why? I show respect. ‘Yes, sir. No, sir.’ That’s how I was taught. I was raised by a drill sergeant, and that’s who I am,” O’Neal said during a interview with Esquire magazine. “Doesn’t matter if it’s a black guy, white guy, whatever. I’m not going to make it uncomfortable for you because I don’t want it uncomfortable for me. There’s not going to be any talking back—none of that.”

O’Neal — whose lifelong dream is to be a cop — often mentions his father when discussing this hot topic. His father, a drill sergeant, taught him to respect police and comply with their orders.

“One time, the police were messing with us, and I disrespected them,” he said. “Oh, that was the worst thing I could have ever done. My father grabbed me by my collar, tugged me back and said, ‘Don’t you ever disrespect these men. They’re here to protect us. You listen to them. You say, “Yes, sir. No, sir.” And if he’s not right, if he’s doing stuff out of spite, just obey the letter of the law. Then you come and see me, and I’ll handle it.’ So from that day on, I didn’t disrespect the police anymore.”

O’Neal also provided his thoughts on the role of police in today’s society during a special edition of TNT’s Open Court prior to the start of the 2016-17 NBA regular season.

“If we show respect and just listen to one another, I think we can get a lot of things accomplished,” he tweeted last month.

(Photo Source: AP)

23 thoughts on “Shaq’s Not Worried About The Police Because He’s Always ‘Respectful’

1. Shaq is Utterly Stupid. He subscribes to White is Right. As someone said they don’t know his sons; so when he gets the phone call that they have been hurt or killed by the police then he will tell a different story. I’m not hoping that he gets that call, just saying it could happen.

• The police don’t know my sons either, and I’ve never got that call. Anything could happen, but no use trying to get to the other side of the road by running across a four lane freeway, when you can just as easily walk at a crosswalk. You could still wind up being roadkill, but your chances of getting home in one piece are greatly improved. That’s what I got from his statements.

2. Cynthia Riddle on said:

Shaq, just STOP it! You know darn well, you get preferential treatment because you are “Shaq.” Your comments are non-sense. Based on your comment, all the black men and women who have been stopped and beaten or killed by police was because they were not respectful! Get over yourself!

3. Being respectful would be ideal, but when you’re approach by a cop he is going to say or do certain things that will let you know that things are not going to end well. And no degrees of “yes sirs, or no sirs” is going to help the matter, because unfortunately you were stopped by a cop, not a law enforcement officer. And regardless of the color of our skin, most of us know the difference between the two.

4. What Shaq is saying is bull in the overall picture. Philando Castille nor Laquan McDonald did nothing to threaten the cops but they are dead nevertheless. Nothing will change until there is a top to bottom reorganization of the criminal justice system, including thorough background checks of all present and future police officers, prosecutors, and some judges. Who has the courage to do it? How is it that the DOJ was able to quickly prosecute and convict Koon and his fellow goon officers on violating Rodney King’s civil rights, but we have yet to hear anything by way of even a charge against George Zimmerman for violating Trayvon’s civil rights and the child was murdered? I don’t get it.

5. Really Shaq ? You sound like a FOOL !!! Your sons may not be recognized as your sons. You are recognized !! Whether you want to admit it or not it is what it is !!!

6. americanize on said:

Phalando Castell was respectful too.An was shot down like a dog.Shaq be doing some soft shoe cooning.Been around barkley to much.

7. Robert on said:

As a veteran I have been stopped by the police and have been respectful,yes sir no sir and still was treated like I was trash. I was also ask why I kept responding to the officer with the word sir my response was you are and person of authority and I was showing respect,his response was “how could they let a piece of trash like you in my military. I will never forget that.

• Charity Dell on said:

This is what I meant when I said “Compliance is no guarantee you will survive the encounter.”
      Many factors will determine how you are treated by an officer of the law, including the color of
      your skin, hair texture, lip width, speech, gender, dress, religious symbols and/or distinctive clothing, etc. There are also the officer’s factors that the driver must assess, including mood, demeanor, speech, gender, ethnicity, age, size of weapons, etc. The driver of a vehicle must assess the officer and then quickly formulate the survival strategy. As your experience demonstrates, even polite, respectful answers delivered in impeccable standard English do not guarantee respectful treatment in return. Any time a person of color is ordered to “get out” or “step
      outside” their vehicle, trouble is sure to follow…

8. specialt757 on said:

What I’ve learn on my many years here on earth is that nothing changes unless there is a need or call for it to change. If someone is slapping you in the face over and over again and you never say stop that hurts, then they will keep slapping you in the face. They won’t change their behavior unless you 1) stop them or two force them to stop.

So if we as black people don’t speak up for ourselves when we have and continue to be wronged, then people will continue to treat us the way they always have. They’re not going to change unless they are told or are forced to change. So many things have changed for us in America but only because they were “forced” to, we spoke up and spoke out and sometimes hit them in the pocket where it really hurts, ijs.

9. specialt757 on said:

Yeah I like Shaq but the truth is the truth and that was a bold face lie he told. The fact that his father told him that if they (cop) was doing something out of spite is enough lets you know he knows cops don’t always do the right thing. Every black person over the age of 20 has heard their parent or some adult tell them, just do what the cops say and you get to live another day.

10. Ms. Kim on said:

usually on shaq’s side but when was the last time he lived in a middle class or underserved area and had to encounter these idiots on a day to day. not since he became SHAQ, thats how long, long long long long long time ago.

11. C johnson on said:

You can be very very respectful and it just DEPENDS on how that cop (regardless of race) day is going…they can be nasty at you and your the most Respectful person. So Shaq…nope im not buying that at all!!

• Charity Dell on said:

This is true. When confronted in a car by any officer of the law, non-white drivers have but 15
      seconds or less to perform an assessment of that officer, and just a few seconds to formulate a
      strategy to survive the encounter with that officer. We simply do not have the luxury to assume
      that “quiet compliance” to any officer’s orders means that we will live to see another day! There are too many police who have been trained to regard people of color as “the enemy”; it is always
      easier to shoot first to KILL, then ask questions later. Sad, but too true in many communities.

12. Tim Green on said:

Shaq’s opininion of how to deal with cops is USUALLY true, but unfortunately there are a few cops black & white out there who will treat you like straight shit & violate your rights no matter how respectful you are

13. How delusional!! “If we show respect and just listen…” Clearly, the police were not showing respect or just listening to him and his friends when they were “messing with them.” I guess Philando Castile was being disrespectful.

• specialt757 on said:

Right. Castile did everything right and he got killed because the cop was a scared B-otch. So complying doesn’t always end in our favor.

• So what’s the solution? Running? Fighting with an armed cop? Pointing a weapon to teach them not to disrespect you? If you have a chance of getting to the other side of a road by crossing at a stop light or running across four lanes of freeway traffic, which would you choose? You could possible make it across a four lane freeway without becoming roadkill, but your chances of making it across alive greatly improve if you use use the crosswalk. That’s what I got from his statement.