LOS ANGELES (AP) — NBA star Derrick Rose will begin trial in a $21 million rape lawsuit Tuesday, the same day the New York Knicks’ preseason begins. It’s unclear whether Rose will be in court or with his new team.
Rose and two friends are accused of gang raping an incapacitated woman he once dated. Jury selection in the case begins Tuesday.
Rose and the woman, identified so far only as Jane Doe, had dated on and off in the two years prior to the August 2013 incident at her apartment. Rose and his friends denied the allegations and said the sex was consensual.
“I feel like I’m innocent and I feel like I didn’t do anything wrong,” Rose told reporters two weeks ago.
Rose is expected to attend portions of the trial, though his lawyer said he may miss jury selection because it conflicts with the Knicks preseason opener in Houston.
In addition to overshadowing Rose’s attempts to bounce back from injuries that sidelined him the past few seasons, the case threatens to expose details of his sex life, including text messages discussing his desire to have group sex.
The woman said that she had been drinking vodka, tequila and wine before returning from a house Rose rented in Beverly Hills and passing out in her apartment. She said Rose and his friends, Randall Hampton and Ryan Allen, let themselves into her apartment in the early morning and raped her.
She said she was confused when she woke up the next morning with her dress over her head and a saw used condom on the floor.
“I felt just dirty,” she told the AP. “I didn’t want to believe it was true.”
The woman claimed she was drugged, though Rose’s lawyers said there’s no evidence of any drugs.
Rose’s lawyer said she let the trio in through two locked doors and was alert and cleaned up after sex.
Rose’s lawyers said the woman is hiding behind a cloak of anonymity while trying to extort millions from the former MVP.
The woman has wanted to remain anonymous because she was harassed online after her name was leaked and she didn’t want her conservative Mexican immigrant parents to learn about the incident. She said they don’t know anything about the alleged rape or her relationship with Rose.
She didn’t report the incident to police until last year — two years after the incident — which is when she filed suit. The Los Angeles Police Department still has an open investigation.
The federal judge overseeing the case said he would allow her to remain anonymous until trial. If he kept her identify from the jury, he said it might appear he was protecting her and jurors might assume he believed her and that could hamper Rose’s defense.
The Associated Press does not name victims in alleged sexual assault cases unless they ask to be identified.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Derrick Rose Rape Trial Starts Day Of Knicks Preseason Start