In the wake of the Keith Lamont Scott police shooting, members of the Nation of Islam are calling for an economic boycott to “redistribute the pain.”
There are conflicting reports about the moments before Scott was fatally wounded by a plainclothes officer, but one fact is constant: the people of Charlotte have had enough.
Protests turned violent Wednesday night and in the aftermath of the demonstrations, one person was allegedly shot and is on life support. Four officers were wounded during the protests.
B.J. Murphy, host of The B.J. Murphy Show, spoke with Roland Martin about the conditions on the ground since the unrest began, the boycott many are calling for in response to CMPD’s use of excessive force, and the lack of justice.
“We’ve never seen anything like this in the city of Charlotte,” said Murphy. “This is something that has been brewing for a long time.
“As a community activist in the city of Charlotte, we have been watching this brew,” he continued.
According to the radio show host, since 1995 there have been entirely too many “judicial killings” or “justifiable homicides” in which none of the officers involved were convicted of any wrongdoing.
Murphy said as a result of the ongoing injustice, “There really isn’t a lot of time for soft talk and sweet talk and going to eat ice cream and going to have community town hall meetings and it’s just a bunch of fluff.
“This is time for real men and real women in Charlotte to say, ‘Hey, let’s sit down at the table with our youth’ – the young brothers and sisters that are on the street – and have a little dialogue.”
Despite having said that, Murphy feels as though there is little left to be discussed until the people of the city get justice.
In an attempt to exact that justice, members of the Nation of Islam are looking to start an economic boycott to “withdraw our dollars and make them feel the pain.”
Murphy harkened back to Min. Louis Farrakhan’s call for a national boycott on Christmas and said, “If Black Lives don’t matter, then our Black dollars don’t matter in every city across this country.”
He also explained as a result of the “frenzy” taking place, “People are ready to do something that will make a big difference.
“We can’t go out with our weapons – our little pop guns – and try to fight against the National Guard or the CMPD,” said Murphy.
He added, “What we can do is more powerful” through the withdrawal of the African-American community’s economic support.
Watch Roland Martin, B.J. Murphy, and the NewsOne Now panel discuss the latest developments in the unrest in Charlotte in the video clip above.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Watch NewsOne Now with Roland Martin, in its new time slot on TV One.
Charlotte Police & Keith Lamont Scott’s Family Differ On Chain Of Events
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31