NEW YORK (AP) — Supermodel Kate Upton has condemned the four Miami Dolphins players who knelt during the national anthem, writing on Instagram that their actions are “a disgrace to those people who have served and currently serve our country.”
The four players — running back Arian Foster, outside linebacker Jelani Jenkins, free safety Michael Thomas and wide receiver Kenny Stills — were down on their right knee as the song played before the Dolphins’ 12-10 loss to the Seahawks in Seattle on Sunday.
Their decision to not stand during the national anthem was the latest in a series of protests undertaken by a number of professional athletes in recent weeks, with San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick beginning the demonstration prior to a preseason game last month.
Upton, who is engaged to Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander, specifically condemned the players’ actions as “more horrific” because they occurred on the 15th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.
“I could never imagine multiple people sitting down during the national anthem on the Sept. 11th anniversary,” Upton wrote. “The lessons of 9/11 should teach us that if we come together, the world can be a better and more peaceful place.”
The National Anthem - Best & Worst Performances
1. BEST: Jennifer Hudson - Nailed it! 2009 Super Bowl. (Photo: Retna)1 of 15
2. BEST: Whitney Houston - Nailed it! - Super Bowl XXV in 1991 (Photo: AP)2 of 15
3. BEST: Monica Brown - Got It Right! - Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 in 20143 of 15
4. WORST: Christina Aguilera - flubbed the lyrics at Super Bowl 45 in 2011. (Photo: AP)4 of 15
5. BEST: Beyonce - Nailed it! Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2004. (Photo: Retna)5 of 15
6. WORST: Keri Hilson met with some major booing after messing up the song at a Lakers game. (Photo: Retna)6 of 15
7. WORST: Steven Tyler - butchered the song at the AFC Championship game in Massachusetts earlier this year. (AP)7 of 15
8. BEST: Mariah Carey - Nailed it! Super Bowl 2002. (AP)8 of 15
9. WORST: Roseanne Barr butchered the song at a 1990 San Diego Padres game, which sent the crowd into a frenzy. (AP)9 of 15
10. BEST: Fergie got some high praise for her performance of the National Anthem for Monday Night Football in September-2011.10 of 15
11. WORST: Michael Bolton had the lyrics written on his hand and still managed to mess up. Fenway Park - 2003. (Photo: AP)11 of 15
12. BEST: Kelly Rowland -Nailed it! Bears vs. Giants in October 2010. (Photo: Retna)12 of 15
13. WORST: R. Kelly was booed by a Las Vegas audience at a boxing match in 2005 for his rendition of the Anthem. (Photo: Retna)13 of 15
14. BEST: Kelly Clarkson - Nailed it! Super Bowl XLVI. (Photo: AP)14 of 15
15. WORST: Scotty McCreery flubbed the lyrics while singing the National Anthem for the World Series in 2011. (Photo: AP)15 of 15
(Photo Source: PR Photos/AP)