Tonya Gunn, 44, was shot and killed in Chicago’s Morgan Park on Monday while attending a family gathering, reports ABC7-Chicago.
At approximately midnight, Gunn was leaning on a dark, blue van when shots rang out from across the street.
“Everybody was sitting out here and I was sitting over there. And I was getting ready to go in the house. And they started shooting and I heard them screaming. They saying, ‘Somebody call the police!’ But I didn’t know who it was. And then the ambulance came and they took her. They shot her in front of her daughter,” Krystal Scott, Gunn’s cousin, said.
Gunn’s 11-year-old daughter was standing right beside her mother at the time of the shooting and is now in the care of her father.
Over 82 people were shot in Chicago over the Independence Day weekend, 15 of them fatally.
Read more from ABC7-Chicago:
A 24-year-old man was shot and killed around 2:20 a.m. Monday in the 8400-block of South Buffalo Street. Police said the victim was a documented gang member.
In a separate shooting in South Chicago, a gunman opened fire on three people walking near East 80th Street and South Muskegon Avenue around 11:30 p.m. Sunday.
A 25-year-old man is listed in critical condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. A 19-year-old woman is listed in stable condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center. A 47-year-old man was shot in the ankle and is listed in good condition at Jackson Park Hospital.
While responding to the area, police officers were reportedly fired upon three times. Investigators do not have anyone in custody.
On Sunday night, a man was fatally shot in the West Pullman neighborhood on the Far South Side.
Just after 9 p.m., 23-year-old Shiquille Salter was shot several times in the chest while standing on the corner in the 300 block of West 116th Street, police said.
Salter, who lived in the same block where he was shot, was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn where he was pronounced dead at 9:54 p.m., authorities said.
One man was killed and another was wounded during a shooting Sunday night in the Austin neighborhood on the West Side.
Read complete list of fatalities here.
Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. released the following statement in response to the horrific violence via his Facebook page:
“No Plan for Reconstruction for Chicago”
Statement By Reverend Jesse L. Jackson, Sr.
Monday, July 7, 2014.
In Chicago there are zones of terror and deprivation. Deprivation of an underclass that leads to terror in a city facing an undeclared emergency that should be declared a “state of emergency.” This “state of emergency” requires remedy and resources. It requires social and economic reconstruction, not just the emptying of guns and the filling of jails.
The police blotter can show us where the disaster zones are. They are the areas with the most foreclosed houses, the most vacant lots, the least education, the least access to health care, the least hospital emergency access and the most unemployed. Fifty schools closed, 50 drug stores closed, 73 grocery stores closed. These are the desert zones driven by a sub-economy featuring drugs-in, guns-in and jobs-out.
There have been 207 homicides in Chicago in 2014, including 173 killed and 1,029 wounded by guns – 118 wounded by gunfire from January to May, 230 shot in May, 250 shot in June, and 17 killed and 77 wounded by gunfire so far in July. In just four days, over the July 4 holidays, there were 14 killed and 65 wounded by gunfire.
The painful fact is we know where the drugs are coming from and where the jobs are going. There is no urban plan for reconstruction.
We have a plan for reconstruction in Iraq, Afghanistan and other dangerous zones, but there is no plan for reconstruction in our hometown of Chicago! In the meantime, we live in horror until next Monday’s body count. We deserve better.
Stop the violence. Save the children. Love you guys.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30