As the nation celebrates the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 this week, a new fight for voting rights has been emerging nationwide – and most prominently in North Carolina. Leadership from the state’s NAACP chapter, legal advocates, and several partner organizations have been engaged in a battle for the voting rights of citizens, which hang in jeopardy by way of an upcoming injunction hearing.
On Monday, the first of the hearings related to the restrictive voting laws in the state will be held at the Middle District Federal Court in Winston-Salem. The North Carolina State Conference of the NAACP, civil rights group Advancement Project, and the law firm of Kirkland and Ellis are mounting a challenge to the measure.
On a media call on Tuesday was N.C. NAACP Chapter President Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II, Advancement Project Co-Director Penda D. Hair, and attorney and North Carolina Central Law School Professor Irv Joyner, where they discussed the changes to the voting laws, which included a shortening of the early voting period by one week, eliminating same day voting registration, and other provisions that disenfranchise voters of color and the poor.
The days of Jim Crow laws are long gone, but the Republican segment of the legislature and North Carolina’s governor claim that voting reform is necessary in the state, even though evidence of fraud is negligent at best. With the largest impact of the voting laws felt by younger voters, especially with the ID requirement, there have been moves made by advocates to support the growing numbers in that demographic.
The changes in the Voting Rights Act’s Section 5 by the Supreme Court last year, which removed the pre-clearance requirement by all states before making voting law changes, led the way for 22 states to make restrictions. Pre-clearance forced jurisdictions to receive federal approval for any changes made to voting laws. Although there was an amendment introduced at the top of the year that would bring back pre-clearance, Congress has stalled on moving it through.
Barber addressed this issue during the media call, stating clearly that pre-clearance is necessary particularly in the South, where the history of voting rights stands at its most controversial. He also mentioned that for the past 61 weeks, he and others in the Forward Together Moral Movement have been galvanized in their fight against the voter suppression bill.
NewsOne asked Barber to elaborate on his statement regarding pre-clearance to which he responded:
“This case shows what the southern legislature are willing to do without pre-clearance. When they know that they can pass a law, and it doesn’t have to be pre-cleared, and it puts the burden of litigation on the people, we can see exactly what they can do. This is not Republicanism, we call it ‘extremism.’ Matter of fact, many Republicans have used many of the laws they’re trying to strike down now. Many of us know extremists believe the only way they can win elections is to suppress the right to vote.”
The Forward Together Moral Movement, made up of 200 partner organizations, will join together in a march 5:30 p.m. at Corpening Plaza. Get more information here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31