When Dr. Kevin Smith and his 22-year-old daughter Alana arrived home and spotted a red pickup truck and a group of alleged thieves pulling out of their driveway, they decided to chase after them. Smith was not concerned about any stolen items but rather his other daughter Kara’s safety who had been left at home – and the entire exciting chase was caught on film via a cell phone, according to CNN.
Smith had just returned from a business trip and Alana had gone to the airport to pick him up. So when the pair called Kara once they spotted the alleged thieves – and she reportedly did not answer — they decided to try to catch the culprits who might have harmed her. And even though law enforcement warns against pursuing criminals, the Father and daughter team gave chase after the culprits, telling CNN, “I locked eyes on them, and their eyes were terrified. I knew that they had done something terrible,” Alana said in an interview with CNN. “I didn’t know what happened to my sister, and I didn’t know if she was OK. My instinct was this was my only chance to get these guys.”
Smith recorded the chase, while Alana drove their vehicle.
As the courageous pair drove their vehicle, the men in the pickup got wind of them being tailed and put their truck in reverse twice, crashing in to the doctor’s Audi 8 sedan. During one of the collisions, Smith’s vehicle reportedly shuts off and Alana is overheard asking her dad what to do. Dr. Smith calmly tells his girl to turn the car back on.
Alana, too, remained calm and never got hysterical during the chase, but at one frightening point, the men turned their truck around and aimed it right for the Father and daughter’s car. “It was just like in the movies,” Kevin Smith said. “It was really eerie. At the end of this road, you see the truck turn around and you see the red truck popped out of the dust and head toward us.”
The pickup then revved up and smashed right in to Smith’s car, sending all of them right in to a ditch. Smith then called the authorities, and within minutes, officers were able to arrest two of the three men involved in the robbery.
Both men are facing criminal charges.
Smith believes the burglars were also responsible for other robberies that took place in his neighborhood as of late.
As far as Alana’s heroics, Smith tells CNN, “I’m proud of my daughter,” Kevin Smith said. “As a Father, you really don’t know how you raised your kid until they get older and you see how they can handle themselves. I don’t want her to be cavalier, but I want her to know I am proud.”
What happened to Kara?
Well, thankfully, Kara was at the gym working out while the robbery at her home was taking place. When Smith called to check on Kara, she could not get to her phone because she was working out.
Alana, who is law-school bound this fall, told CNN she is grateful her family was unharmed and felt compelled to chase after the crooks because “I needed to do this for my neighborhood and my family,” she admitted.
Meanwhile, Smith sustained no injuries from the collision, and Alana, who was checked for whiplash at a nearby hospital, was later released. Smith says he was able to retrieve most of his stolen belongings from the robbers, such as laptops, televisions, and a few other pricey objects.
Smiths, go on with your bad selves!
Check out the video!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30