Ted Galatis, 52, a city commissioner in Wilton Manors, Florida, has apologized for using the n-word in a confrontation with a woman in a Publix parking lot on June 1, but residents are still calling for his resignation, reports the Sun-Sentinel.
According to a police report released on June 5, Galatis and his wife were leaving a local Publix when a car behind them began honking the horn. Galatis allegedly got out of his car to confront the occupants of the vehicle, who were all Black.
That’s when Galatis began hurling the “n-word” at them in a fit of rage.
“[Driver] stated that T Galatis began calling her and her passengers ‘N_____’ and at that point she requested for police to respond,” the police report reads. “[Driver] stated that she was upset that T Galatis called her and the passengers of her vehicle ‘N____’ and did not want him to get away with it.”
Galatis apologized for using the racial slur but said that he only did it because he felt “threatened.”
“I apologize for my use of the ’N’ word. It is something I never say,” Galatis said in statement. “I offer no excuse, other than it was uttered when I was being threatened in front of my own home.”
Galatis also apologized during a commission meeting, stating: “The last thing I wanted to do was bring embarrassment upon the city, my wife and my family. I apologize from the bottom of my heart for the use of that word. That is not me.”
Galatis also claims that he didn’t use the n-word until a Black man got out of the car and said, “What’s your problem White boy?”
Galatis’ wife, Donna, claims that one occupant threatened her by saying, “White bi*ch, I’ll slice you up.”
Naomi Parker, a friend of Galatis who is running for commissioner, said that he should resign:
“This is probably the hardest night, Ted, but I need you to resign,” Parker said. “My kids have played at your pool. I’ve eaten food out of your house, and all it took was for me to make you angry and I would have been called a n****r. It’s not ‘the n-word.’ The word is n****r. It’s not ‘the n-word.’”
Galatis’ parking lot racism comes on the heels of Narvell Benning being verbally assaulted by Janelle Ambrosia in a Dollar General parking lot in Cheektowaga, New York.
Benning recorded the exchange, which goes on for approximately four minutes and, during that time, Ambrosia loudly flings the “n-word” at him and eventually threatens to throw her coffee on him.
“I called you a n–ger. You’re a n–ger! Nasty f–king n–ger!”
Read more on Benning’s story here.
The incident also comes a month after Robert Copeland, 82, the former police commissioner Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, resigned after news that he called President Barack Obama spread like wildfire.
“I believe I did use the “n-word” in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse,” Copeland said in an email to his fellow police commissioners. “For this, I do not apologize – he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31