She’s b-a-a-a-ck! After a nearly 3 year acting hiatus, Hollywood’s Queen Bee, Angelina Jolie is back in fighting form in Disney’s “Maleficent.” An imaginative re-telling of the classic “Sleeping Beauty,” screenwriters Linda Woolverton and Charles Perrault flesh out one of the most terrifying villains in fairytale land, proving there’s more than one side to every story. The Urban Daily lists three reasons why “Maleficent” is a surprisingly feminist manifesto and should be on your “must-see” list this weekend:
1. Your feminism is not my feminism and that’s OK. One of the most moving scenes of “Maleficent” is when Aurora comes face to face with her “nemesis.” Sure that the young princess will be scared off by her appearance, Maleficent steps out of the shadows and in wonderment, Aurora reaches out to touch Maleficent’s fearsome horns. In that moment two women from two very different worlds enter a space where they see and accept each other for exactly who they are. Aurora’s girly-girl sweetness and Maleficent’s powerful warrior queen personas, rather than create conflict, end up complementing each other. Feminism isn’t about strong-arming other women to adopt your views, but understanding what makes us different strengthens the feminist community.
2. Women can have a “happily ever after” without Prince Charming. From the time we are little girls, we are enraptured with the idea of the “knight in shining armor” – that one man who will sweep us off our feet and take us to the land of milk and honey. It’s gotten to the point that we don’t feel validated as women unless we have a man and a ring to prove our worth to the world. “Maleficent” bucks the archaic Prince Charming trope, and reminds us that by empowering ourselves, only we can change our lives for the better.
3. Women will always need each other. What sets “Maleficent” apart from other Hollywood fairytale movies is the relationship between the title character and her “nemesis” Princess Aurora. Female villains are usually portrayed as older, spiteful harpies obsessed with gaining back their youth and beauty (please refer to the dreadful “Snow White and the Huntsman”). Maleficent’s anger isn’t borne out of jealousy, but rather anger at Aurora’s father, who betrays Maleficent by violating her in the cruelest way imaginable. What “Maleficent” does quite beautifully is show how even the deepest hurts can be healed when we open ourselves to the friendships with the women in our lives. The world can be a cruel place, but we can’t get through it without our girls.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25