Let’s face it, women of color have unique hair and skin issues. From varying hair textures that can range from straight to curly to kinky to unique skin tones, there’s no wonder why there are so many different products made just for us. But when you throw pregnancy hormones and changes into the mix, maintaining healthy hair and glowing skin can be downright challenging. So I gathered some tips and consulted with noted dermatologist Dr. Susan C. Taylor, M.D. to find some great fixes for five skin and hair common issues multicultural women face.
Problem: Is it safe to relax or color my hair during pregnancy?
Remedy: There is no evidence that chemical processing in the form of relaxers, curly perm, or hair coloring has any detrimental effect on a developing fetus. Many Black, Latina, and Asian women perm, and/or chemically alter the color or texture of their hair. A small amount may find its way into the bloodstream but at an insignificant level, according to most studies. Some doctors recommend avoiding these processes in the first trimester when the baby’s vital organs are forming, just to be on the safe side.
However, discontinuing the process of relaxing your hair can do more harm than good-causing serious hair breakage. To determine what is best for you, consult a professional stylist. And if you must have a relaxer or hair coloring treatment wait until the second or third trimester.
Problem: I’ve got acne. I feel like a teenager all over again.
Remedy: It’s those hormones again. You may notice pimples, blackheads, whiteheads or larger spots on your face and body. There are a few prescriptions or OTC products that can be used safely during pregnancy or while nursing. Your doctor might approve a cleanser, creams, gels, or lotions with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. If apply twice a day for six weeks or will see a positive change in the condition of your skin.
Problem: My skin is dry and itchy.
Remedy: Limit your bath or shower to five minutes and use mild cleansers like: Aveeno, Cetaphil, and Dove; or a thick moisturizer such as: Aquaphor, cocoa butter, and shea butter can work as well. Aveeno Oatmeal Bath is a great non-medical alternative for dry skin.
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30