Let’s face it, women of color have unique hair and skin issues. From varying hair textures that can range from straight to curly to kinky to unique skin tones, there’s no wonder why there are so many different products made just for us. But when you throw pregnancy hormones and changes into the mix, maintaining healthy hair and glowing skin can be downright challenging. So I gathered some tips and consulted with noted dermatologist Dr. Susan C. Taylor, M.D. to find some great fixes for five skin and hair common issues multicultural women face.
Problem: Is it safe to relax or color my hair during pregnancy?
Remedy: There is no evidence that chemical processing in the form of relaxers, curly perm, or hair coloring has any detrimental effect on a developing fetus. Many Black, Latina, and Asian women perm, and/or chemically alter the color or texture of their hair. A small amount may find its way into the bloodstream but at an insignificant level, according to most studies. Some doctors recommend avoiding these processes in the first trimester when the baby’s vital organs are forming, just to be on the safe side.
However, discontinuing the process of relaxing your hair can do more harm than good-causing serious hair breakage. To determine what is best for you, consult a professional stylist. And if you must have a relaxer or hair coloring treatment wait until the second or third trimester.
Problem: I’ve got acne. I feel like a teenager all over again.
Remedy: It’s those hormones again. You may notice pimples, blackheads, whiteheads or larger spots on your face and body. There are a few prescriptions or OTC products that can be used safely during pregnancy or while nursing. Your doctor might approve a cleanser, creams, gels, or lotions with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. If apply twice a day for six weeks or will see a positive change in the condition of your skin.
Problem: My skin is dry and itchy.
Remedy: Limit your bath or shower to five minutes and use mild cleansers like: Aveeno, Cetaphil, and Dove; or a thick moisturizer such as: Aquaphor, cocoa butter, and shea butter can work as well. Aveeno Oatmeal Bath is a great non-medical alternative for dry skin.
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25