Jesse Jackson Sr., called in and talked about the mental state of his incarcerated son, Jesse Jackson, Jr. The former Congressman entered federal prison in North Carolina last October and has since been transferred to a prison in Montgomery.
Pending good behavior, the 49 year old may be able to leave prison earlier than his original release date of December 31, 2015. He would then spend an undisclosed amount of time in a halfway house or home detention center.
Read the entire interview below:
TOM JOYNER: Reverend Jesse Jackson, how was your Easter Sunday?
JESSE JACKSON: Well, it was Resurrection Sunday, I visited my son yesterday.
TOM JOYNER: How is he doing?
SYBIL WILKES: How is he doing?
JESSE JACKSON: He’s getting stronger and better and he’s writing and teaching.
TOM JOYNER: He’s in Montgomery?
JESSE JACKSON: In Montgomery, I think Maxwell Airforce Base. But do let me say that it was a sad day, I offer condolences to the family of Rubin Hurricane Carter, a champion in the ring, racially profiled, sentenced to die, stayed in jail 20 years and survived it. He never let his spirit break. There was a big protest to free Hurricane. Bob Dylan wrote a song about his time in jail and there was a movie done by Denzel Washington about Hurricane Carter. He was a champion in the ring and a hero outside the ring. A champion, when they win, they ride the peoples’ shoulders, but he rose, people rose and rode his shoulder. He knocked folk down in the ring, he saved so many lives; many people owe a debt to Hurricane Carter. So we offer real condolences to his family. I talked to them yesterday in Toronto, Canada. Let me announce quickly that all high school seniors and college students should come across the stage with the diploma in one hand and a voter card in one hand and sign up for healthcare. Demand the right to vote, and the right to expanded healthcare. Do not let them nullify your access to affordable healthcare just because there’s right wings governors who want to take away the right to vote, but to fight back, for students to have the right to healthcare. We have to fight more.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25