Columbus Short wants to set the record straight. After his interview last Friday with the Tom Joyner Morning Show didn’t go exactly as he may have planned and including his use of the “n” word, he has come forward to explain exclusively to Blackamericaweb.com and the Tom Joyner Morning Show his state of mind. Via his publicist, Short has issued a statement directly to the show.

Last Friday [Good Friday], as Scandal fans know, was the night right after the season finale. Short’s character Harrison Wright’s fate was in jeopardy after a confrontation with B613 mastermind Rowan Pope, Olivia Pope’s shady father. The show ended before viewers knew whether or not Harrison had been shot.

Short has been going through some changes in his personal life as well. His currently estranged wife, Tanee McCall, recently filed for divorce for the third time, alleging domestic violence on at least two separate occasions. In the most recent one, she says that Short threatened her with a knife and said he would kill her and himself.

Short’s interview with the TJMS seemed disjointed and at times confrontational, especially after he was asked how his wife received his new recording “Gave Ya.”

In his statement exclusively to the Tom Joyner Morning Show and Blackamericaweb.com, Short says he is apologetic about the interview.

Here is his unedited statement in full:

“TJMS, My sincerest apologies for the confusion over my appearance on your show last Friday morning. I am a long time supporter and admirer of The Tom Joyner Morning Show and I was looking forward to an opportunity to speak with you and your audience.  Unfortunately, the early morning (approximately 5:45AM Pacific Time) following a late-night event had me at what some describe, less than my best.

To clarify a few of my statements:

1. I rarely use the “n” word and I could not have picked a worse time to do so. I deeply apologize for directing it towards you.

2. Regarding my statements about women being insecure, I am a strong believer and supporter of women and I am always amazed by all that our better halves accomplish. I come from a family of strong black women and I would never discredit or minimize their success. I have the deepest respect for women, their strength and innate beauty. To suggest anything else was never my intent. I simply wanted to emphasize that women have no reason to feel that way and my song, “Gave Ya”, is meant to convey just that.

3. Lastly, just to clarify, I was not high, drunk or otherwise under the influence. I was simply exhausted. After a long day, the early call threw off my schedule.

This was no excuse – you and those who support me deserved better.  Please accept my deepest apologies for any misunderstandings for that morning call. It would be an honor to appear on the TJMS in the future to set things right with your audience.”

(Photo: PR Photos)

28 thoughts on “EXCLUSIVE: Columbus Short Responds to TJMS Interview: “I Was Not Drunk Or High’

1. Shirley on said:

It was nice for TJMS to accept Mr. Short’s apology; however, they owe him an apology as well. Instead of saying your apology is accepted, it should have read, “and we, in turn, extend an apology to you as well Mr. Short.” Both sides were to blame in a sense, but I still believe the TJMS crew were a little harsh and Mr. J. Brown was rude, so yes…they owe Mr. Short an apology as well.

2. Vivian AKA SHORTY on said:

I heard the interview in MIAMI,FL and he was just rude to ALL of those who truely follow Mr C. Short. His gift is what GOD gave him, just like GOD with David took on a giant and Won now it is MR C. time, and NO YOUR STATUE CAN NOT STOP YOU MR C. SHORT. And yes AKA SHORTY IS BECAUSE I AM SHORT. LOVE FOREVER…SHORTY

3. Since I have given my two cents on several posts on FB and tried very hard to email you, TJ to give you my thoughts on the Columbus Short Interview Friday. I thought it was poor taste and unprofessional journalism to conduct the interview in the manner you and JAB did on Friday. How thoughtless to ask what his wife thought of the song, given his current circumstances. How unprofessional was if for JAB to say several times that he should not do interviews anymore. I thought the TJMS was the platform for “us” to speak frankly and candidly, a forum for Short to give his side of an unflattering story. It was clear to me that “something” was wrong. Kudos to Columbus for apologizing. I think he is also owed an apology from TJ and JAB!

4. Sheldon L McAlpin on said:

First let me say I love you guys, I wake up in the morning to the TJMS, it’s the best thing going, can’t do without it. But let me give my two cents on the Columbus Short interview, you guys killed and dog Mr. Short out real bad the day before, I know some of it was jokes, but you were pretty serious about his personal life, you even joke about him probably not showing up on Friday. Now you know his friends told him what you said if not then he heard everything live or went back to IF YOU MISSED IT. So being in his shoes I would have been short with you guys as well and that was Friday and as of today you guy are still giving the guys a hard time, you have to be able to take what you give. Let it go, you won because you are on the radio everyday. I still love you guys and will continue to listen to my favorite and only morning radio show.

5. cfunches on said:

Honestly – I was taken back by the interview. It made me a little angry that he would be so nonchalant and matter-of-fact in the same conversation. It hit me as disrespectful more than anything. Like that kid you meet at a friends house and tell yourself ~ if that was my child…BaaaaBaaaaa, I would have ripped out his tongue and slap him with it. Yea, that kid (Columbus Short). Now, I personally don’t care if he’s killed off the show or not – really I don’t. Bye Felicia – Bye Columbus!!
    Peace…Ajali

6. I said it. on said:

Get helping verbs. Tom does give scholarships to HBCU students every year. Enroll in one, apply for a scholarship, take a few classes, and repost. Widen your vocabulary at the very least.

7. Mean what you say and say what you mean. Nine out of ten people who make a public statement these days circles back with an apology when the shit hits the fan. Damn! Man up!

8. msyellarose on said:

I think the brother has some isues and should seek help and not be ashamed. We need to take better care of our mental health people.

9. IanRousseault on said:

Penelope, From the way that you speak through your post, I’m very sorry that you dropped out of High School! Please for the love of God, go back to school and GET your DAMN education!!!!

10. IanRousseault on said:

This man clearly needs some serious mental help! And I pray that he gets it. I’m very happy to see him take responsibility for his horrendous actions pertaining to his interview last Friday. I am so SICK and F______ tired of males like him, Chris Brown, 2chainz, Rick Ross, Isiah Washington, Lil Wayne, the entire cast of Black Ink and on and on giving Black Men a horrible, bad name. We are all not Uneducated and Violent as these born THUGS! We are as Black Men, Highly Educated, Cultured, Well Spoken, Well Traveled, Caring, Sensitive, Approachable, Loving, Good Spirited, Capable, Multi Talented human beings. And it breaks my HEART when I see these Nonhuman Buffoons assail what it really means to be a True Man of Color!!! Yes Columbus get some help and please take as many as possible other men of color with you!!!!!!!

• I said it. on said:

If you have to tear down others to build yourself up, you can’t be much. Either you are posing, or you have a lot of self-hatred going on.

• IanRousseault on said:

No not all, no self hate here! Just telling the truth, sorry that it hurts!!!!

11. Penelope on said:

If I was him, I wouldn’t have apologize. The TJM crew is very disrespectful. If Columbus didn’t apologize it wouldn’t have affected his career. He should have told the crew to kiss his ***. They mistreat alot of people and constantly interupting them and make everything out of a joke.

• IanRousseault on said:

Penelope, You are just as Vile Disgusting, Disrespectful, Non Human and Extremely Uneucated as Columbus Short. And you both can go to HELL!

12. Lisac on said:

I think that was nice of him to apologize. I wish Mr. Short nothing but the best. I was turned off by the interview more so on Tom and Jay’s part. I hope they read these comments and learn how to do fair, productive interviews.

• @Lisac, I love TJMS but I do agree that sometimes, they go too far with the jokes and insults. You don’t invite someone to your show and goad them just so you can have something to talk about. Very unprofessional. Columbus did a bad interview and I’m glad he apologized, hope it was sincere and I wish him nothing but the best.

13. Tyrah on said:

I love he apology. It was sincere. Hes going through a really rough time right now and hes hurting and just because you’re a celeb, ppl act like you cant make mistakes or get upset. Ppl are so quick to judge and turn their backs on ppl without truly knowing them. Instaed of bashing him, we need to pray for him. Everyone sins. Let those without sin cast the first stone. No sin is greater than another sin in the eyes of god so to be honest, no one should be bashing him. Let him get the help and the rest and the peace he needs. Uplift him in these times, don’t tear our brother down. Im still a fan of Columbus and I pray that he has an spiritual awakening and he re-claims victory.

14. Y-vonne St. John on said:

He deserves a second interview. I am a fan and aways will be. He is forgiven. Haven’t we all fallen short.

15. Cathy on said:

I was glad to hear Tom accept Columbus Short’s apology. And what a nice apology it was. Love, love, love Columbus Short. And as a fan let me say “all is forgiven and forgotten.” In life we have to remember to write a person’s mistakes in sand and their accomplishments in stone. And Mr. Short’s accomplishments are MANY. Much too great to ever be forgotten or overshadowed by such a small mishap. Love Columbus! And Love the Tom Joyner morning show! :-)

16. Both could have handled it better.. I mean… A 5:45 am interview on the west coast and having to work ALLLLL day and into the night. Of he is going to say things out the side of his mouth cause the brain is not functioning right. He could said “I can’t make it- can we reschedule”. TJMS should have asked was it a good time for him. It just common sense. Although I did not hear the interview but from what I gather It was a sincere apologetic letter. I would grant him a second chance interview.

• Deborah on said:

I feel that TJMS owes an apology as well. The behavior of Tom Joyner and Jay Anthony Brown was in poor taste. This is opinion is coming from a true fan and consistent listener for many years.

• Shirley on said:

I think they should apologize as well Deborah. Shame on them if they don’t see a need to apologize after reading all the comments about how rude they were as well. It would be very humbling if they were to apologize to Mr. Short. I doubt if they will, but they should if for nothing else just to at least acknowledge that they are listening to what their audience think about their rude behavior as well.