Six months after Miriam Carey (pictured), a 34-year-old Mother, from Connecticut was shot dead in the nation’s capital under questionable circumstances, her autopsy report has finally been released.
Carey was shot multiple times, including once in the back of the head and once on the left side of back side, according to the report. The report does not mention exactly how many times Carey was shot, but video of the shooting indicates that officers fired at least seven rounds at her vehicle.
Officers from the U.S. Secret Service-Uniform Division and U.S. Capital Police fired shots at Carey, according to an initial police report (here in Parts 1 and 2). It is unclear if Carey was in her vehicle when she was fatally shot or if she exited the car and then was shot.
Carey, a dental hygienist residing in Stamford, Conn., at the time of her death, was unarmed and her 1-year-old daughter was sitting in the back of her black Nissan Infiniti at the time of the fatal shooting. The child was unharmed and is currently in the custody of her father in Connecticut, Valarie Carey, Miriam’s sister, told NewsOne.
Watch video of Miriam Carey’s shooting here:
Carey made national headlines on Oct. 3 after numerous reports suggested that she was trying to breach White House grounds or rammed barricades in restricted areas in downtown Washington, D.C., but the police report does not indicate that such breaches took place. What the police report does reveal is that Carey allegedly refused to stop at a vehicle checkpoint, made a U-turn, and “began to flee in the vehicle.”
Eric Sanders, the attorney who is representing the Carey Family and is a former NYPD officer, told NewsOne that the shooting was unjustified.
“It further strengthens my position that they killed this woman and there was no justification,” Sanders said. “There was no reason for [the shooting]. How was she a threat if she is driving away from you? She was shot in the back of the head. It would have been a better argument if they had shot her in the front, but they shot her in the back, which means she was moving away from them.”
The family has filed a $75 million wrongful death claim against the U.S. Secret Service-Uniform Division and United States Capital Police.
There were also reports that Carey was mentally ill and was on medication. The toxicology report reveals that no drugs — prescription or otherwise — were found in her system.
WND, a Washington D.C.-based news outlet that has been reporting extensively on the shooting from the very beginning, has filed numerous Freedom of Information Act requests asking for documents germane to Carey’s shooting. None of their attempts have been successful so far.
NewsOne reached out to the U.S. Capital Police and the U.S. Department of Justice, who is also investigating the case, for comment. We will update this story once we get a response.
Later this week, NewsOne will also publish a longer exclusive story outlining how the family is dealing with the aftermath of Miriam’s death.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30