A hammerhead shark dragged a college student in his kayak up the Atlantic coast for a two-hour “South Florida sleigh ride”.
The SunSentinel reports:
The fight lasted an hour and a half, as a student at Florida Atlantic University struggled to haul a 14-foot great hammerhead shark onto a Broward County beach.
Viktor Hluben, 22, is a member of a group that catches sharks from the beach and releases them alive, coming away only with videos.
“It was extremely exciting, an adrenaline rush,” he said, of his latest shark fight caught on camera. “It’s two apex predators going at it.”
Hluben caught the shark last Tuesday night, with four friends. He declined to give the exact location for fear it would be overrun with other anglers.
Using kayaks to go far out to sea, they set out hooks baited with pieces of amberjack. They knew they caught something big, he said, and it took a half hour to bring the shark within 50 yards of the beach.
“We saw a giant dorsal fin,” he said. “Then it made another run out.”
Eventually, he brought it close in again, seeing the giant tail and dorsal fin sticking out of the water. They threw a rope around its tail and dragged it ashore.
They don’t want to hurt the shark, he said, so they move fast once on the beach. They cut the line about four inches from the shark’s mouth.
They use a circle hook, which hooks the mouth rather than gut-hooking the shark. It’s made of non-stainless steel, which means it rusts out quickly.
“The only thing running through my mind is as soon as the shark lands on the beach we’ve got to be diligent and get it back into the water fast,” he said. “We are all about releasing them.”
But studies have shown that catch-and-release fishing can harm the fish, said Neil Hammerschlag, director of the R.J. Dunlap Marine Conservation Program at the University of Miami.
“Our research shows that the shark is most likely to suffer post-release mortality,” he said.
A study by Hammerschlag and his colleagues used satellite tags to track five species of shark caught and released with circle hooks. They found hammerheads were the most likely to die, with 53.6 percent of them still alive four weeks after being caught, compared to nearly 100 percent of tiger sharks.
Anybody else wondering why he just didn’t cut his line? What would you have done?
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: PR Photos)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25