A hammerhead shark dragged a college student in his kayak up the Atlantic coast for a two-hour “South Florida sleigh ride”.
The SunSentinel reports:
The fight lasted an hour and a half, as a student at Florida Atlantic University struggled to haul a 14-foot great hammerhead shark onto a Broward County beach.
Viktor Hluben, 22, is a member of a group that catches sharks from the beach and releases them alive, coming away only with videos.
“It was extremely exciting, an adrenaline rush,” he said, of his latest shark fight caught on camera. “It’s two apex predators going at it.”
Hluben caught the shark last Tuesday night, with four friends. He declined to give the exact location for fear it would be overrun with other anglers.
Using kayaks to go far out to sea, they set out hooks baited with pieces of amberjack. They knew they caught something big, he said, and it took a half hour to bring the shark within 50 yards of the beach.
“We saw a giant dorsal fin,” he said. “Then it made another run out.”
Eventually, he brought it close in again, seeing the giant tail and dorsal fin sticking out of the water. They threw a rope around its tail and dragged it ashore.
They don’t want to hurt the shark, he said, so they move fast once on the beach. They cut the line about four inches from the shark’s mouth.
They use a circle hook, which hooks the mouth rather than gut-hooking the shark. It’s made of non-stainless steel, which means it rusts out quickly.
“The only thing running through my mind is as soon as the shark lands on the beach we’ve got to be diligent and get it back into the water fast,” he said. “We are all about releasing them.”
But studies have shown that catch-and-release fishing can harm the fish, said Neil Hammerschlag, director of the R.J. Dunlap Marine Conservation Program at the University of Miami.
“Our research shows that the shark is most likely to suffer post-release mortality,” he said.
A study by Hammerschlag and his colleagues used satellite tags to track five species of shark caught and released with circle hooks. They found hammerheads were the most likely to die, with 53.6 percent of them still alive four weeks after being caught, compared to nearly 100 percent of tiger sharks.
Anybody else wondering why he just didn’t cut his line? What would you have done?
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: PR Photos)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25