What’s New: The Kia K900, the brand’s flagship, is all-new to the Korean brand. It’s based-off the same platform as its sibling, the Hyundai Equus.
Price Point: $50,000 for a six-cylinder and upwards of $65,000 for the fully loaded eight-cylinder.
First Impression: The K900 is the brand’s first luxury vehicle. The exterior styling follows the league of luxury makes such as BMW and Mercedes in that all of the sedans in the lineup look similar. Kia follows the same design strategy of both makes we noted in that the Kia Forte sedan, the Kia Cadenza and the Kia K900 all look like they are from the same lineage.
Now while the vehicle offers many of the driver-oriented luxury accouterments found in many of its competitors like GM’s heads-up display and a BMW-like electronic shift gear selector, we especially enjoyed the time we spent in the rear of the Kia K900 with the added legroom, the side window sunshades and the power partially reclining rear seats, as we were being chauffeured on an extended trip to the airport.
Verdict: We’re looking forward to spending more time behind the wheel of the vehicle once it arrives in the press fleet, when we’re able to conduct a thorough review.
Our initial concern is that with the Kia Cadenza just hitting dealerships less than a year ago, commanding a price tag, before discounts, that expands from $35,000 to slightly over $40,000, when fully optioned, we’re not sure how many customers are ready to make the leap from $50,000 to $65,000 with the brand’s halo vehicle, the K900.
So, while Kia has not released their sales projections, we project the automaker could achieve upwards of 2,000 to 2,500 sales per year. Just as a reference source, Hyundai sold approximately 3,500 Equus last year.
With the K900, Kia’s executives acknowledge that the vehicle is definitely going after those luxury buyers who are looking for something that’s different from what everyone else is driving. Added to that, our thoughts are that the buyers for this vehicle are not concerned about the prestige factor or the ‘snob effect’ of what comes with owning an Audi, a BMW or a Lexus.
Well, with Hyundai’s success in the segment, we believe Kia has an opportunity to prove that it’s a worthy player. Ironically, VW tried the same strategy a years ago and decided to drop their pursuit to move into the luxury realm, leaving that for their sister brand – Audi. However, rumor has it that VW could be making another attempt in going after the luxury segment again.
Competition: Kia’s marketing strategy is to use a two-prong approach, meaning they are going after customers slotted between the flagship vehicle like the BMW 7-Series and the midsize vehicle like the BMW 5-Series.
Availability: The automaker has decided to use a staggered approach to launch this vehicle in the U. S. Initially, the vehicle will be available on the West Coast and the South, while expanding to other areas thereafter. Check with your local Kia dealership for arrival the arrival date in your area.
About The Reviewer: Jeff Fortson is the editor of JeffCars.com, an educational car-buying website for women and minorities, offering new-car pricing, a car payment calculator, new car reviews, used car resources and the latest industry news. Follow Jeff @ twitter/JeffCars.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30