What’s New: The Kia K900, the brand’s flagship, is all-new to the Korean brand. It’s based-off the same platform as its sibling, the Hyundai Equus.
Price Point: $50,000 for a six-cylinder and upwards of $65,000 for the fully loaded eight-cylinder.
First Impression: The K900 is the brand’s first luxury vehicle. The exterior styling follows the league of luxury makes such as BMW and Mercedes in that all of the sedans in the lineup look similar. Kia follows the same design strategy of both makes we noted in that the Kia Forte sedan, the Kia Cadenza and the Kia K900 all look like they are from the same lineage.
Now while the vehicle offers many of the driver-oriented luxury accouterments found in many of its competitors like GM’s heads-up display and a BMW-like electronic shift gear selector, we especially enjoyed the time we spent in the rear of the Kia K900 with the added legroom, the side window sunshades and the power partially reclining rear seats, as we were being chauffeured on an extended trip to the airport.
Verdict: We’re looking forward to spending more time behind the wheel of the vehicle once it arrives in the press fleet, when we’re able to conduct a thorough review.
Our initial concern is that with the Kia Cadenza just hitting dealerships less than a year ago, commanding a price tag, before discounts, that expands from $35,000 to slightly over $40,000, when fully optioned, we’re not sure how many customers are ready to make the leap from $50,000 to $65,000 with the brand’s halo vehicle, the K900.
So, while Kia has not released their sales projections, we project the automaker could achieve upwards of 2,000 to 2,500 sales per year. Just as a reference source, Hyundai sold approximately 3,500 Equus last year.
With the K900, Kia’s executives acknowledge that the vehicle is definitely going after those luxury buyers who are looking for something that’s different from what everyone else is driving. Added to that, our thoughts are that the buyers for this vehicle are not concerned about the prestige factor or the ‘snob effect’ of what comes with owning an Audi, a BMW or a Lexus.
Well, with Hyundai’s success in the segment, we believe Kia has an opportunity to prove that it’s a worthy player. Ironically, VW tried the same strategy a years ago and decided to drop their pursuit to move into the luxury realm, leaving that for their sister brand – Audi. However, rumor has it that VW could be making another attempt in going after the luxury segment again.
Competition: Kia’s marketing strategy is to use a two-prong approach, meaning they are going after customers slotted between the flagship vehicle like the BMW 7-Series and the midsize vehicle like the BMW 5-Series.
Availability: The automaker has decided to use a staggered approach to launch this vehicle in the U. S. Initially, the vehicle will be available on the West Coast and the South, while expanding to other areas thereafter. Check with your local Kia dealership for arrival the arrival date in your area.
About The Reviewer: Jeff Fortson is the editor of JeffCars.com, an educational car-buying website for women and minorities, offering new-car pricing, a car payment calculator, new car reviews, used car resources and the latest industry news. Follow Jeff @ twitter/JeffCars.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31