An employee for Wayne County’s Airport Authority claims a colleague shared a racist e-mail about her with other workers, per WJBK.
“I was totally shocked,” said Nyota Ellis . “I was more hurt than anything. Is this the culture of the airport? Is this the culture of how they think about black people?”
The email in question came shortly after Ellis came to work with a short bob. Its subject read, “Take a look,” featuring an attached image of Francine, a brown-skinned character from the popular “Arthur” animated children’s series. Francine also has a similar hairstyle to the one Ellis had.
Ellis, who works for the airport’s real estate department-where she is the only African-American, says she “knew immediately it was about me” after opening the message.
“Clearly this shows some type of animal, with a short brown bob,” Ellis said while looking at the picture with the news team. Numerous officials also received the message.
Ellis says the co-worker who sent the email was Caucasian. “This coming from a white man, how am I supposed to take it?” she asked.
She immediately filed a complaint with the company’s HR department. However, they have been dragging their heels with the process, she claims: ”I was basically told, ‘wait.’ ‘Wait.’ And I’ve been waiting.”
“It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out this individual’s intent,” commented Rob Davis (pictured), chief negotiator for AFSCME, America’s largest public services employee union (of which Ellis also is a part).
“This was a very racist joke in which he sent to other airport officials and they never at any point in time reported it or reprimanded this individual, and for her to have to find this particular unfair depiction of African Americans is totally unfair and will not be tolerated by the AFSCME union.”
The Wayne County Airport Authority has released the following statement in response to the allegations:
“The Airport Authority has a long-standing policy of not discussing personnel matters in public. That being said, WCAA takes any complaint of discrimination very seriously. The organization’s values are posted through the workplace and they include: teamwork, accountability, customer service, integrity, employee respect and embrace diversity.”
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.