During an emotional Good Morning America interview, Jordan Davis‘ parents, Lucia McBath and Ron Davis, spoke about their son’s character and insisted that God has “the ultimate justice,” reports ABC.
As previously reported by NewsOne, Michael Dunn, 47, gunned down Davis at a gas station in Jacksonville, Florida on November 23rd, 2012. The software programmer claims that he felt threatened by the teen — who was sitting inside of an SUV with friends — and loud music coming from the vehicle, so he sprayed it with nine bullets before driving away, leaving Davis to die in a friend’s arms.
None of the teens had weapons.
Dunn was found guilty of 3 counts of attempted second degree murder and one count of hurling a deadly missile. A mistrial was declared on the first-degree murder charge in Davis’ shooting death.
McBath told host GMA host Robin Roberts that Jordan was “intuitive, compassionate and the life of the party,” a young man who was always inclusive of those around him.” The clearly distraught mother also said that she believes the jury did the best they could within the construct of the law:
“We know that the jurors were posed with a very delicate and a very profound decision that they had to make, and we believe absolutely with all of our hearts that they did everything they could to come to what they believe was the most just decision,” McBath told Roberts. “We do now know that they were torn. But they’ve done the best that they can with the tools that they had at that time, and of course each one of them believes what they believe and so that’s what we have to stand on.”
Davis’ father, who has become an outspoken critic of “Stand Your Ground” laws says that even though “God has the ultimate justice,” he will continue to fight against a racist system that does not recognize the humanity of a young Black boy.
“I do think those laws have to be rewritten, and I’m going to be one who continues to fight to have Stand Your Ground laws rewritten… just think about how a person like Michael Dunn would be so callous as to just disregard the life of Jordan Davis, you know, just throw it away like it was nothing.
“I’m in constant contact with Tracy Martin, Trayvon’s father, and I text Sybrina all the time and I just want to let them know, every time I get justice for Jordan, it’s going to be justice for Trayvon, for us,” Ron Davis said.
“The ultimate justice for me, I want Michael Dunn to be tried and found guilty of killing my son, of letting him know it was wrong to kill my unarmed, 17-year-old son,” Davis said. “And all the other 17-year-olds out there, they shouldn’t have to fear the adults with the guns that are running around here shooting them at will.”
In an exclusive ABC Nightline interview Tuesday night, Dunn juror #4, a homecare nurse known simply as Valerie, said that they initially deadlocked at 10-2 in favor of convicting Dunn on 1st-degree murder. After Judge Healey read the “Allen Charge,” which encouraged the jury to deliberate further to avoid a mistrial, their contentious deliberations ended with 9-3 vote to convict, with the holdouts believing that Dunn had “reasonable belief” to fear for his life.
Valerie said that the jurors in favor of convicting Dunn believed that he used unnecessary force when he shot Davis.
“We all believed there was another way out, another option,” she said in the Nightline interview.
The jury, which was composed of four White women, two Black women, four White men, one Asian woman and one Hispanic man, deliberated for four days and remained deadlocked on the 1st-degree murder charge and lesser charges, including second degree murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide, or excusable homicide.
During a post-trial press conference, Florida state special prosecutor Angela Corey said that Dunn will be retried on the 1st-degree murder charge.
“We intend to fully push for a new trial….Justice for Jordan Davis is as important as it is for any victim,” Corey said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30