Training youths in entrepreneurship in Douala, which is one of the main cities of the West and Central Africa nation of the Republic of Cameroon, La Tribune Des Savoirs, an organization focused on exposing youth to entrepreneurship from February 2010, took part in World Entrepreneurship Day last Saturday by organizing a seminar workshop. The workshop, entitled “Dynamic Youths and Entrepreneurship Horizon 2035,” provided a platform of exchange for job seekers to develop the spirit of entrepreneurship and learn ethical values with some 100 young Cameroonians in attendance.
Chief Executive Officer of La Tribune Des Savoirs Jean Paulin Jiotsa (pictured in top picture forth from left, first row) told NewsOne, “Most youths in Cameroon do not have adequate skills to create and manage their own enterprises. With this initiative, therefore, we want to provide and equip the Cameroonian youth with long and lasting entrepreneurial skills each year, with the goal of making them job creators and not job seekers.”
Guest speakers presented on topics, such as good and ethical entrepreneurship practice, techniques of writing a good business plan, mentorship, coaching, legislature on setting up an enterprise, seeking funding, and more.
Mrs. Tanyi of MONDE UNI, who is also the owner of a number of schools and colleges, shared her experience of being a successful entrepreneur. Tanyi, whose contribution to Cameroon’s economy cannot be overstated, recounted her humble beginnings. “I started by selling ground nuts and the little profits I made helped me acquire education, and today, I own schools, colleges, and enterprises in the country. I create jobs [rather than look] for jobs.”
Her story fascinated the youths at the event, and they promised to use her example to build and create their own enterprises in the future.
Targeting students in schools, colleges, and universities has been the top priority of La Tribune Des Saviors. Therefore, Jiotsa added, “So far we have created 14 entrepreneurship clubs in 14 educational institutions in five out of 10 regions in the country, where students take it upon themselves with our guidance to elaborate and implement their different programs. So we only come in to coach and direct them so that significant results can be achieved. In the years coming, we intend to be present in the remaining five regions in the country.”
A variety of school club president presentations showed that they have learned significant entrepreneurship tips and initiatives when they were able to elaborate on activities and plans for the coming years. In addition, participating students were inspired to become successful entrepreneurs. After brainstorming in small groups on how to overcome obstacles that hinder them from eventual success, the best students received awards for their club projects.
Through the Ministry of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises Social Economy and Handicraft, the Cameroon government encourages such initiatives and provides funds to some of the awardees whose projects are selected by a ministerial committee.
By 2020, Cameroon hopes to reduce the unemployment rate of 3.8 percent, according to the World Bank in 2010, with the yearly creation of thousands of jobs in the formal sector. In addition, events such as these work to fulfill incumbent President Paul Biya‘s vision to make the Central African country emerge in the year 2035.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Young Cameroonians Acquire Entrepreneurial Skills