Radio host D.L. Hughley showed his audience a different side recently as he talked about the tragic story of Minnesota Viking player, Adrian Peterson, and the loss of his son.
Hughley talks candidly about his own infidelity, having a child out-of-wedlock and the sad ending that brought him to tears.
Check out the full conversation below:
D.L. HUGHLEY: So these are five facts about the death of Adrian Peterson’s son. First he, well, the gentlemen who did it, his name is Joseph Patterson. I don’t know why I’d call him a gentleman; anybody who would kill a child is significantly less than that. What do you got?
JASMINE SANDERS: Right, right. Well, first of all, he had just moved into the home with the child. So he hadn’t been there for a long period of time at all. He also, and also Peterson only found out that he was the boy’s father recently, just literally right before the boy went to the hospital; and also Patterson previously assaulted a three year old.
JASMINE: Like just a year ago.
JASMINE: This was in the news.
JASMINE: Also, Patterson has another child of his own.
JASMINE: And finally Patterson works as a coffee salesman.
D.L.: So here’s the thing, I think that anybody that would let a child, though there’s no reason to not know the history of somebody that’s going to be in that intimate of circumstances with your child. There’s no reason. He’s a Google click away.
D.L.: And I feel bad for Adrian Peterson and I kind of can relate to him because years ago, when I was just starting out, when I was doing comedy, I got a girl pregnant while I was married. She had the baby. I was paying child support. She would never let me get tested, so I couldn’t tell if it was mind or not, so I’m trying to hide it and keep it secret from my wife. And so one day she gives me this ultimatum and she says; you either give me a life insurance policy for the baby or I’m telling your wife. So, of course, I go home and I pray that God take this off me. And so I performed that night, and this is on a Friday night. Saturday I said I would perform, and then I would tell my wife what was happening.
D.L.: Because I didn’t want her to get jammed up.
JASMINE: Of course.
D.L.: It was a horrible, horrible thing. I was a horrible person, I get it. So I prayed to God; take this thing off of me. So the next day I am performing, my friends calls me and he said that the baby was in the hospital … and he … he died. The guy that she had been living with killed him. He shook him and killed him. And I prayed to God; take that off me, but I never wanted that to happen. So I can under—I can certainly relate to him. So my heart definitely goes out to him. This is The D.L. Hughley Show.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31