The genre of neo-soul has been largely discounted by even the folks who made it popular. Why call it neo-soul when artists like India.Arie, Musiq, Lauryn Hill, D’Angelo and Maxwell were just, after all, soul artists in the first place? In the case of India.Arie, though, the term may still apply.
Arie’s music is a combination of soulful musicianship but with a new-age message of love, empowerment and self-esteem that may be something we have yet to see before. Sure, Earth, Wind and Fire and Stevie Wonder and others created music from a similar perspective but also from a male point of view.
On “The Songversation,” Arie’s latest, she continues with those themes, crafting soothing songs about being well loved like “Cocoa Butter” and mixing them up with anthems like her latest single “I Am Light.” Now Arie’s back on the road for the first time in four years and she says the audience is responding to her new music in a new way.
“The first show in Seattle was weird. Just adjusting to singing that long and being received different,” Arie told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “Not elder statesmanship, but people are treating me with more reverence. It wasn’t like that four years ago, so I’m just adjusting to people crying on my shoulder and stuff like that. Someone touched my feel and it was a cute guy. I was like ‘Why cant’ ya’ll do this in real life?”
The new album and tour has caused even India to do some adjusting as both are reflective of a new attitude. The singer/songwriter turns 38 this week. She’s now been in the music business for over a decade since her breakthrough “Acoustic Soul” with its huge hit “Video” was released in 2001. That was followed by a humiliating Grammy night when India, nominated seven times, lost in every category she was nominated in. (She has since won four.)
So very early on in her career, she saw the contrasts the business had to offer and adjusted her mindset accordingly.
“I’ve been trying a lot of things… just different. Even my album cover was different. And just approaching shows different and getting outside of my box of who I thought I was.”
Arie takes her “Songversation” on tour this fall. Click here for tour dates.
Watch Irie’s latest “In-Studio Jam” here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30