The genre of neo-soul has been largely discounted by even the folks who made it popular. Why call it neo-soul when artists like India.Arie, Musiq, Lauryn Hill, D’Angelo and Maxwell were just, after all, soul artists in the first place? In the case of India.Arie, though, the term may still apply.
Arie’s music is a combination of soulful musicianship but with a new-age message of love, empowerment and self-esteem that may be something we have yet to see before. Sure, Earth, Wind and Fire and Stevie Wonder and others created music from a similar perspective but also from a male point of view.
On “The Songversation,” Arie’s latest, she continues with those themes, crafting soothing songs about being well loved like “Cocoa Butter” and mixing them up with anthems like her latest single “I Am Light.” Now Arie’s back on the road for the first time in four years and she says the audience is responding to her new music in a new way.
“The first show in Seattle was weird. Just adjusting to singing that long and being received different,” Arie told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “Not elder statesmanship, but people are treating me with more reverence. It wasn’t like that four years ago, so I’m just adjusting to people crying on my shoulder and stuff like that. Someone touched my feel and it was a cute guy. I was like ‘Why cant’ ya’ll do this in real life?”
The new album and tour has caused even India to do some adjusting as both are reflective of a new attitude. The singer/songwriter turns 38 this week. She’s now been in the music business for over a decade since her breakthrough “Acoustic Soul” with its huge hit “Video” was released in 2001. That was followed by a humiliating Grammy night when India, nominated seven times, lost in every category she was nominated in. (She has since won four.)
So very early on in her career, she saw the contrasts the business had to offer and adjusted her mindset accordingly.
“I’ve been trying a lot of things… just different. Even my album cover was different. And just approaching shows different and getting outside of my box of who I thought I was.”
Arie takes her “Songversation” on tour this fall. Click here for tour dates.
Watch Irie’s latest “In-Studio Jam” here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
1 of 30
2. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
2 of 30
3. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
3 of 30
4. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
4 of 30
5 of 30
6. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
6 of 30
7 of 30
8. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
8 of 30
9. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
9 of 30
10. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
10 of 30
11. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
11 of 30
12. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
12 of 30
13. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
13 of 30
14. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
14 of 30
15. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
15 of 30
16. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
16 of 30
17. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
17 of 30
18. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
18 of 30
19. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
19 of 30
20. Bae #retailtherapy
20 of 30
21. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
21 of 30
22. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
22 of 30
23. Diggy Simmons
23 of 30
24. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
24 of 30
25. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
25 of 30
26. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
26 of 30
27. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
27 of 30
28. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
28 of 30
29. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
29 of 30
30. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
30 of 30