WARNING: Clip above contains offensive language and imagery and may not be suitable for all viewers.
It’s been exactly 40 years since the release of the landmark film, “The Mack”, starring Max Julien and Richard Pryor. “The Mack” was released in 1973 and was the only major writing credit for writer Robert J. Poole.
Set in Oakland, Ca., the film surrounds the life of John “Goldie” Mickens, a street hustler turned pimp. Goldie sets his sights on becoming the most notorious pimp in the city. Throughout the film, he addresses ways to control the women under his direction through emotional and intellectual connection and stimulation.
“The Mack” was considered one of the first films of the era to deal with socioeconomic issues in the black community, addressing Black Nationalism and drugs. Both of the focuses were presented as alternative lifestyles for Goldie’s character within the film. While it was called a blaxploitation piece, some labeled it as a melodrama with social commentary.
The film’s language and the term “mack” created long-lasting language that is still used in the music and film industries. The term “mack” was originally taken from old French street language term “the mec”, which means “dude” or “pimp.” The film’s soundtrack by Willie Hutch reached number 17 on the R&B album chart in 1973.
While already a classically trained working actor, Max Julien, who had been seen in films with Jack Nicholson and Candace Bergen, was the recipient of an NAACP Image Award for Best Writer of the Year (Thomasine and Bushrod) in 1974. He took a sabbatical from acting and became a sculptor. Several of his pieces were housed in the Pacific Design Center of Los Angeles.
The resource website IMDB.com reported that Julien is currently designing a line of hand-painted clothing & accessories, which is already in circulation on the hip-hop scene, and working toward his own cologne, a video game, autobiography and Broadway show about his life and experiences, including his friendship with the activist Huey P. Newton during the production of “The Mack”.
In 2002, Director Laura Nix released the documentary “Mackin Ain’t Easy”, which went behind the scenes of “The Mack”, introducing background details of the legendary film’s development.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30