The racial hatred toward Nina Davuluri — the first contestant of Indian heritage to be crowned Miss America – was swift, relentless, and ugly.
“How the f–k does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab! #idiots,”’ one man tweeted after Davuluri’s historic moment.
“If you’re #MissAmerica you should have to be American,” another woman wrote.
“9/11 was 4 days ago and she gets miss America?” said another man.
I guess the racists forgot — or don’t care — that Davuluri is actually an American citizen with a college degree. But all they see is a woman of color who reminds them of terrorism. And her skillful performance — a classical Bollywood dance during the Miss America Pageant’s talent segment – sent the bigots completely over the edge.
“This is America, not India.”
One called Davuluri “Miss 7-11.”
“Nice slap in the face to the people of 911. How pathetic.”
The events of September 11 were undoubtedly tragic and horrific, but Davuluri didn’t have anything to do with it.
Davuluri graduated from the University of Michigan with a degree in brain behavior and cognitive science. She was born in Syracuse, New York, and when she was four years old she moved to Oklahoma and then Michigan with her family before returning to New York six years ago. Her parents immigrated to Missouri from India in 1981.
Davuluri says her father, a gynecologist, inspired her to pursue a career in medicine. She wants to be a cardiologist.
Americans should be proud that Davuluri was crowned Miss America instead of vilifying her. She is intelligent, focused, accomplished and, as a doctor, she wants to help save lives.
Seems to me that Davuluri should be hailed as a role model for young women – regardless of skin color. And she also manages to brush aside the racist assaults with dignity.
“I have to rise above that,” Davuluri said about the racist backlash. “I always viewed myself as first and foremost American.”
“I’m so happy this organization has embraced diversity,” Davuluri added. “I’m thankful there are children watching at home who can finally relate to a new Miss America.”
It’s difficult for racists to embrace diversity, which is sweeping the nation and changing the racial landscape for generations to come. The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that 50.4 percent of America’s population younger than age 1 are minorities.
Simply put, America is becoming blacker and browner – and less white. For many white Americans, it’s a harsh reality that some refuse to accept.
The Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups and other extremists throughout the United States, says there are 1,007 known hate groups operating across the country, including neo-Nazis, Klansmen, white nationalists, neo-Confederates, racist skinheads, black separatists, and border vigilantes.
Since 2000, the number of hate groups has increased by 67 percent, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. This surge has been fueled by anger and fear over an influx of non-white immigrants, the diminishing white majority – and the election of President Barack Obama.
“I’m not a racist,” one woman wrote about Davuluri in an online blog. “She is representing America doing an Indonesian dance. If it was a Miss Universe pageant it would have been cool.”
America’s racial demographics are changing. Get over it – or get out of the way.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30