Alfonso Ribeiro is back on TV. The beloved actor who played Carlton on “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air” and developed his own dance craze is hosting a new ABC Family Show “Spell-mageddon.” Though the show has been off the air for 17 years, it’s developed fans of a new generation through repeats. Ribeiro says that although he’s still viewed as Carlton, he doesn’t mind it – mostly.
“Ultimately, you never want to be known for one thing and one thing only but I’m certainly proud that the Carlton character has become kind of iconic and people are still in love with that character,” Ribeiro told “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” It’s a testament to what we did on that show and how ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel Air’ remains solid in people’s eyes.”
Ribeiro says that asking him to do the Carlton dance, though, has gotten a little old. “I always find it awkward because a lot of times if I’m really in a bad, bad mood when people walk up to me and they say ‘Do the dance’ I’m always like you do realize you just asked a Black man to dance for you, right? And then they freak out, but I say ‘I’m just playing.’ I get asked to do the dance every day of my life. I’d be dancing all damn day.”
Ribeiro is also not bitter about the relative fame of former co-star Will Smith and the rest of the “Fresh Prince of Bel Air” cast. (It may be something called residuals, the amount of money TV stars get paid even when their show ends, that helps with that.) When Tom pointed out that Smith’s movies have rarely included his former co-stars (though Smith did sign Tatyana Ali, who played Ashley, to a record deal years back) Ribeiro was philosophical.
“I get asked that question a bunch, and at the end of the day, there’s no obligation for anybody to cast anybody in any role unless it’s someone they believe is the best for that role in the movie. I think initially he wanted to separate himself from the show, but I don’t see why he can’t now. There’s not reason anymore. I always look at it like you never look back, you move forward and never look backwards.”
On his new game show “Spell-mageddon” he’s challenging people who should know how to spell like former spelling be champions and the like to spell the words correctly. The catch is – they’ve got to do it while they’re being distracted.
“We’ve got one game called “Zapped” that zaps them with electricity while they’re’ trying to spell, we have a microphone that shoots water in their face, we have a fire extinguisher that goes off in their back, blue icy slush gets dumped over their head and they don’t know when they’re going to get hit with any of it,” Ribeiro explains. “The reactions that the contestants give us are hysterical. It’s a fun, fun show and we have a blast.”
“Spell-mageddon” airs on ABC Family on Wednesdays at 9 p.m.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31